- advertisement -

We are almost done with a very successful 1st year away at college :)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MissMadisonsMom, Apr 7, 2016.

1. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

Do you remember the terror you felt when your baby w/ D went away for his/her first sleep over? Multiply that by 100, 1000, infinity and that's how Madison's dad and I were feeling last August as we made the long drive from Washington State to her new home (school) in Colorado. How was she ever going to be able to manage without us there to give her advice on all matters diabetes? Maddie was dx'd in the 5th grade so she has been living with D for 7 years and it took us a while to finally realize that we did a wonderful job getting her ready to be on her own. She had the most beautifully packed supply box you've ever seen :). Loads of insulin in her little refrigerator under her dorm bed. We unpacked her room and then it was time to say goodbye and make our long lonely drive home...Lots of tears and hugs, but we had to let her go, right? I kept asking her, are there not great schools in Washington you can go to? hahaha She had chosen her dream school and it was in Colorado - they wanted her there and they wanted her to play softball there! She had it all.

Fast forward to today - I couldn't be more proud of our baby girl! She has never been open about having diabetes and she told me that she is more open there. She told all of her teammates, her roommate and all of her professors. Her trainer has been a blessing because she told Madison at their very first meeting that her husband has type 1 and if Maddie is ever on the mound and feels a bit low to drop down to a knee and she would rush out with some juice (it was their secret code) Her A1c has been great, she makes her own pump adjustments, remembers to bring supplies when the team travels, keeps me updated when she needs supplies and above and beyond all that she has been a very successful college student. Her grades at one of the best engineering schools in the country have been spectacular, she has already declared her major, and has made a great many friends. So those of you who will be in our situation this summer...it will be OK! We've done our jobs and gotten them this far...now it is up to them.

2. Just Jen

Just Jen Approved members

Congrats on a job well done! This gives all of us still on the beginning end of this hope that there are success stories, not all the horror stories that seem to take front page. I hope she continues to feel confident sharing as it sounds like she could become a great vocal advocate for all type ones.

Blessings.

3. Brhodes

Brhodes Approved members

That's amazing. Thanks for sharing.

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

great job of parenting. hope to follow in your footsteps.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Congratulations! Great to hear. We'll be in the same spot next fall, so it was extra nice to see your post :)

6. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

This is wonderful to hear! Kudos to your entire family.

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Not there yet (but getting close) so thanks very much for your post. One question, do you use Share to keep an eye on things? Or was that not something that she (or you) wanted to do?
    For me, the nights are what I am most worried about when she is on her own.

8. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

Christopher, Maddie chose to take care of everything herself. In the beginning I would text her and ask her how her numbers were - I didn't know how the different workouts would be, how the school stress would effect her, or even how the Colorado elevation would come into play. She had gotten a very bad cold in the beginning and she called to tell me her numbers were running a bit high and she told me she remembered to check her Ketones!! They were a little elevated and she did everything right to correct it. Our kids are smart...while we are helping them manage their D, they are learning how to manage it themselves. I just went to visit her this weekend for the first time and asked her how her numbers have been and she says they've been great - She is in the heart of softball season with intense workouts and she pitches 2 full games every weekend and for her numbers to be great at this time of year has been a testament to how well she is handling things.

Night Time...Madison is one of the fortunate ones who wakes up when she is dropping. She'll wake up when she is 70-80, so she has never had an issue. She also educated her roommate on signs of lows and had juice and glucagon right by her bed. If your daughter doesn't wake up or feel lows, I would be inclined to get the CGM with the threshold suspend feature. We had it for a while, but Maddie just doesn't like the CGM.

9. georgia

georgia Approved members

I love, love this!! You must be one proud momma! Carry on.

10. Sprocket

Sprocket Approved members

Very inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

11. Mish

Mish Approved members

Congrats!! It's so fun to see how all these 'kids' are growing and living well.

12. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Congrats to you all! 3 years and I'll have 2 T1's heading off. Stories like these let me know that we CAN handle this!

13. wilf

wilf Approved members

Great news, and good to hear. My daughter is out of the house for the second year now and exploring the world. The diabetes management is all in her hands now, and she's doing just fine with it. Amazing when they grow up and just take things on! :cwds:

14. Ali

Ali Approved members

I have not posted in a long time, an adult diagnosed as a kid and also a Mom to three. First congrats that she is at a school she loves and managing to play softball in college. Being a college athlete is hard work and being an athlete as a T1 super hard. She is doing a great job. I also love what her coach came up with to signal a low, even if you are open as a T1 the fewer folks fussing over you the better:)