- advertisement -

Watch out for those ticks!

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Becky Stevens mom, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Its been a very mild winter here in the northeast and I know it has been in other areas of the country. I assume that means that the tick population will be extremely prolific this year. Ive had ticks on me every month this winter whenever Ive gone walking in the woods. Make sure you check yourselves and your kids for ticks if you are outside at all, even in your yard. This is a very good site to look at for info into all the different tick borne diseases and where these types of ticks can occur.

http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/diseases/

Steven had Lyme disease after he was dxd with diabetes. I remember the only symptom he had of Lyme was a swollen knee but his BGs had been running higher for the week preceding his being diagnosed with Lyme.

2. Mouchakkaa

Mouchakkaa Approved members

Just pulled a tick off of my daughter two nights ago.

3. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

Thanks for the reminder.

4. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Ticks not common here in NZ - in fact never seen one, don't know anyone who has. I think there are some in farming areas, but really couldn't say for sure.
    The only cases of Lyme disease in NZ is from people coming into NZ from other countries where ticks are common.
    Wouldn't know one if it hit me in the face!:)

5. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

ick! I hate the idea of ticks and Lyme disease. Something else I really don't want to add in to the mix and deal with. I try to check the boys carefully when they come in from playing outside.

6. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

Ai yi yi, already?!?! I've pulled soooo many ticks off the boys over the years, hate them!!! My older DS would kill me for saying this - he had one on his private parts once :eek: It was still alive and just about to latch on.....

7. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Steven did too! I was mortified:eek: but thankfully it hadnt embedded itself yet

8. melissajm

melissajm Approved members

Ben found one on him today! Yuck!! Guess these 70 degree March days have them out early!

9. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

For some reason that is the only place we find ticks latched onto my son. So far we have had to pull off 3 that were latched on. It's awful.:(

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  10. smcnair

smcnair Approved members

Here is a story of a young girl who experienced symptoms of Lyme Disease while living in New Zealand although she's Canadian and not really sure where she was when she came into contact with it.
    http://www.justinandchrista.ca/#!

If you're interested in learning more about Lyme Disease and the effects it has upon the body then grab a box of tissues before you start watching the video. It is very heart wrenching and also a long video .. I watched it over a couple of nights.

11. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

When we were kids, we weren't allowed anywhere near where ticks were, Mum was a magnet for them. Mostly there were on the South shore of Nova Scotia then. Personally(knock on wood) I've never seen one and we always used to go camping , there and here(year around here) until a few years ago