- advertisement -

Was your child placed on a fixed meal plan at diagnosis?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mom2ejca, Sep 19, 2010.

?

Was your child placed on a fixed meal plan at diagnosis?

1. Yes, my child had set insulin/carbs for each meal.

61 vote(s)
    52.1%
  2. No, we were taught to adjust insulin/carbs for meals.

56 vote(s)
    47.9%
  1. melissajm

melissajm Approved members

Lilly was 6 years ago...Ben was not 2 years ago. How things have changed in such a short time!

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Ben also may not have been because you already had a D child. A lot of it is to ease the parents into the treatment plan - that wasn't the case with you since you were already experienced.

3. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

We were sent home on NPH/Regular/Humalog, sliding scale, and fixed carbs. After a month or two, I started reading and learning, and figured out how they came up with the doses. Then I talked to the CDE and learned how to adjust the carbs, while keeping the same regimen. Eventually, we "evolved" to doing MDI on the weekends, fixed carbs during the week (it worked for school). I'm actually glad we started out that way.

4. LizinTX

LizinTX Approved members

Yes, he was dx'd in 2001 and we had a meal plan, plus were told to eat at the same time every day. I don't remember what our MDI regiment was, or even which insulins we used.

Now, we no longer "do" the meal plan, and we don't eat at the same time every day--it is impossible with our schedule. However, this is one of the biggest fights we have with our NP. She still insists on meal plans, 60 grams for all three meals 15 grams for snacks, and she hates that lunch can be anywhere from 12:00 to 2:00 and supper is anywhere from 6:00 to 8:00.:rolleyes:

5. Alex's Dad

Alex's Dad Approved members

We ARE on NPH/Humalog plan, fixed meals, and schedule, and to tell you the truth is not working, we are 7 months into dxd and. We have had some changes, first nph in the morning with humalog and at bedtime, (didn't work), then nph in the morning and lantus at bedtime, it worked for a while we were getting better with it, then we had nph in the morning and levemir at bedtime, and this was working also, a couple of weeks ago they make us change to nph at dinner time 6pm and is not working for us at all but the doctors keep insisting, the frustrating part is that we were fine with lantus or levemir, and now we are back with 300 - 400 at night and she is waking up at 250 - 350, lets see what happens this week, sorry for the vent guys.:eek:

6. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

We were told to keep a food log for a week. Then, based on how much food Aaron actually wanted, we were given a carb/meal guidelines with dosing for each meal (plus correction sliding scale). They used this fairly controlled diet to adjust his doses and figure his insulin to carb ratio, and then we went to carb counting. We were on the meal plan for less than a month.

7. piratelight

piratelight Approved members

This is how we felt about the beginning for us too. It lasted about 1 year and the freedom of the pump was then wonderful for us all. I wouldn't go back and change the beginning now, I really think we needed the discipline and structure of that routine.

8. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I answered yes, although there was no carb counting, but it was back in the very early 70s, and being from a family of 5, all in a different sport, there was no schedule in our house, so Mum put me on MDI from the start. Dietician hated it, so we never went back to her, just let my family doc know what was going on(no endos back then either) I was on NPH and Toronto insulins back then

9. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

That is fascinating! How did your mom do this in the '70s and how did she figure it out?

10. melissajm

melissajm Approved members

Probably true Nancy!

11. kjmaf

kjmaf Approved members

We just started pumping this weekend, but were on a fixed carb count schedule from diagnosis (in February) until then. When we started pumping, I realized that it would have been very difficult to do mdi right now without the fixed carb count due to the small amount of insulin Sarah currently needs. Her I:C is 1:200.

12. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

I'm so grateful that we had a carb ratio from the start - a fixed plan would have been a complete nightmare. I hate to think that so many people are so restricted from the beginning, especially for little kids.

13. TerpSteph

TerpSteph Approved members

My son Matt was 16 and was put on NPH/Reg with 65 gms of carbs for meals and two 15 gm snacks. It was horrible. Not only was he often hungry, but he hated eating on a strict time schedule. I remember going to Childrens' Hospital for a follow-up class and his eyed welled up with tears when we went to the cafeteria during the lunch break because he was having a tough time finding something within his carb count. We had our first endo appointment six weeks after diagnosis and he switched to Lantus/Novolog. It was so liberating!

14. Ev'sMom

Ev'sMom Approved members

Wow - this is all still so knew to us! My son was dx in June 2010. We have been sent home on meal plan and only 2 shots of Novolin 70/30 twice a day! We carb count for every meal and snack time. He seems to be doing very well on this plan. However, I am sure things will change in the future as he is evidentally in his "Honeymoon period". So we don't know anything else and there is no one in are huge family that has ever had to go through this - so I will look to you all for advice.

15. suz

suz Approved members

I voted "NO", because at home we have always had an I:C ratio, but the first few days in hospital after dx he was on fixed carbs....