- advertisement -

Was this totally wrong?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by WhyMyBabyGirl, Jul 19, 2009.

1. WhyMyBabyGirl

WhyMyBabyGirl Approved members

My dd has been low every night for about a month.
    We have changed dosages etc.

I'm up all night catching and fixing lows.
    The biggest nightmare is when I fix, and she drops.

Anyway, last night, I let her have an uncovered rice krispie treat - half.
    She was 125 and I let her have it.

I checked her two hours later and she jumped to about 190.

I checked her at midnight and she was 212.

Checked her at 3A and she was 200!

I then set the clock for 730AM and slep for for 4 1/2 hours with confidence.

She woke up a little high, around 150.

Tell me the truth, Is this a bad habit to get into?

2. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Giving an uncovered snack at bedtime is a common thing with MDI. I used to give Travis 15-20 every night and it worked great.

I think it's fine. Maybe you could try to figure out an amount of carbs that brings her blood sugar a bit less (to avoid the 200) but I think giving an uncovered snack is fine and sometimes necessary on MDI.

3. WhyMyBabyGirl

Thanks! I'm surprised it went up that high.
    The whole bar has 15 grams, so she had half.

Tonight I will give her less, and hopefully she wont have any highs, but will stay under the 200

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

im worried that your not getting enough sleep at night:cwds: what kind of insulins is your daughter on? if on shots when does she get her basal? Steven is on lantus and humolog. He gets his lantus near bedtime usually 8:30 at night. At 7:30 i give him a snack, if hes under 120 I'll give it to him uncovered if over i'll give just a unit, his snack is usually ice cream or pudding and some potato chips. These foods contain fat which helps them to digest slower and will help us to avoid lows at night. Peanut butter will also help because of the carbs and fat in there, yogurt is good but usually is low fat. Also meant to ask, how old is your dd? and 150 for wake up is a real good #

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Setting diabetes aside for a moment, candidly, yes. I do believe that half a rice crispie bar each night before bed is a bad habit to get into. Some kids on shots do need an uncovered snack before bed to prevent middle of the night lows, but I'd prefer a healthier snack with the same amount of carbs - maybe a glass of milk?

6. WhyMyBabyGirl

Thanks for worrying! I'm a walking zombie!
    She is on Lantus and Novolg. She's almost 7
    She gets her Lantus in the AM.
    Thank you for listing the foods that you mentioned.
    I really appreciate that.
    I have tried ice cream, but she dropped, milk she drops.
    How many grams of potato chips do you suggest?
    What if I gave her peanut butter with jelly?
    WIll the jelly somehow make it low?
    I apologize if that is a stupid question.:cwds:

7. WhyMyBabyGirl

Milk doesn't work on her for some reason.
    But then again, pizza doesn't make her spike like other kids I read about.

I'm going to try peanut butter.

If that doesn't work, I will ask the endo about the rice krispie treat.
    Right now her pancreas is obviously still working, and for some reason, it likes to release insulin in the middle of the night.

Believe me, I have tried EVERYTHING, so far, the Rice Krispie treat is the ONLY thing that kept her with these numbers

After reading the other thread, where Goosh says that her endo says that kids average one seizure a year, I will do what I can to keep her safe and high, ya know?

8. CaelinsMommy

CaelinsMommy Approved members

My gut says if she is going low every night she's getting too much Lantus. Considering that you say she gets her Lantus in the AM there isn't a peak to consider into the nighttime equation. I would ask your endo about reducing the amount of Lantus you're giving. Other factors to consider are how long after dinner you are testing her and getting these "before" bedtime bg's. If you're testing only say 2 or 3 hours after dinner, she most likely has novolog still working to bring the bg's down. In Caelin the novolog would continue to bring the bg down even after 5 or 6 hours, it didn't magically stop working at the 4 hour point.

9. Becky Stevens mom

remember, no stupid questions here, thats how we learn is to ask. peanut butter and jelly would be a good snack, the jelly would be a fast acting carb but the bread if its whole wheat and peanut butter would be perfect! for chips i give Steven about a handful i guess, just kind of eyeball it. i wonder if your dd will need to have the lantus dose split. you tried regular ice cream? how about pudding? thats high fat as well. i hope something works so you can get some sleep

10. WhyMyBabyGirl

Really? 5 or 6 hours?

11. CaelinsMommy

CaelinsMommy Approved members

Yes, really. If you read some of the threads about Apidra you'll see people mentioning it not having a "tail" like novolog. For Caelin the Apidra is done at 4 hours for others it's done at 3 hours. Just remember everything is a case by case basis. For us the Novolog kept on going, hence, giving her a "tail." Some others don't have that problem.

12. Melissa

Melissa Approved members

No, I don't think it's bad to have her run a little high sometimes so you can get some sleep! I wouldn't do it EVERY night, but you need sleep more than 4 hours! You can't be a good pancreas for your DD if you are overtired.

I'll give you an example: Last week we were battling highs and lows at night while we tried to find a new Lantus dose for my dd. I was checking her every 2-3hours at night. DH had just started his Pod and having night lows too. No one in our house was sleeping. By midweek I needed a coffee IV! At lunch I mixed up her shots and give her Lantus by mistake - not her Humalog. That gave us 2 more night with out sleep. So last night I let her run a little high so I could get some sleep. At 11pm when I was going to bed she was at 110 - so I gave her some choc milk. When DH checked himself at 2am- she was in the mid 200's (he was low, but that's a different thread!) and I got 8 hours of sleep. I feel like a new woman. Tonight she has been running low (after dinner bike riding!) and so I will be back to checking every 2-3hours. I'm thankful that I got my batteries recharges last night.

DH and I always tell eat other: Diabetes isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. You can't get burnout to early in the race.

13. WhyMyBabyGirl

wow! That quote is so true.
    Thank you for the nice post!
    Yikes about the Lanus and Humalog!
    I'm so paranoid about that, that I put the Lantus in a zip lock bag with tape on it.
    I put it in a drawer away from the other d stuff.
    I heard in the hospital that mixups like that happen ALL THE TIME, so don't feel bad, I mean you are taking care of TWO!

14. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Sorry, I hate to quote and disagree but...While it is common for a while at dx'd, not once the honeymoon is over. An uncovered snack on a regular basis can really mess with insulin adjustments...An exception would be after a long day of exercise:) Or maybe for someone with a major peak?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  15. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I wouldn't give a snack every night, but sometimes you need some sleep. If I were you, I would lower the Lantus by 1 unit every night until she stops dropping more than 40 points. Make sure you give it in the bootie too, it helps keep it stable.:cwds: From the numbers above, it looks like your getting close:D

16. hawkeyegirl

The other thing you could do is to change her Lantus dose to the morning. That way the Lantus peak will be during the day, and you can deal with that either through a higher I:C ratio or a small uncovered snack.

Maybe Heather will have more input on that possibility. She's the Lantus queen. :D

17. Becky Stevens mom

Actually it said in an earlier post that she does get her lantus in the morning, another possibility is a split dose of the lantus

18. hawkeyegirl

Well, I need to read better, don't I? :p

Yes, then a split dose, or even maybe just switching the time of the Lantus to the afternoon would help. I like the idea of a split dose, because it gives more of a "custom" basal coverage, but I know some kids would not be happy about 2 doses of Lantus a day.

19. WhyMyBabyGirl

My endo refused to do a split Lantus dose.

I brought up the posts on here, and was told it "was hard to believe" that other endo's would split the dose?:confused::confused::confused:

20. CButler

CButler Approved members

How low has she been going at night?