- advertisement -

Wants someone to check bg every hour at night

Discussion in 'Diabetes and College' started by Ellen, May 19, 2008.

1. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

Andy,

Curious how much is your TDD with your active life style?

I am wondering what is different with this young man's D compared to yours.

Obviously your both active, and still maybe the insulin regimen isn't right for his active lifestyle?

I see you use the Ping, one my dd uses too. I often wondered if it would still be adequate when she reaches adulthood. Good to see you are having success w managing your D and active life style.:)

2. geekguyandy

geekguyandy Approved members

TDD varies quite a bit, day to day and over the long term. In the pumps recent history, my lowest was 23, highest was 72, and a typical day is around 40.

I don't see any reason why the Ping would only work for kids. I know it's marketed for it because of the small dosage capabilities, but I can assure you that it handles large doses just fine as well. :D

3. MrsBadshoe

MrsBadshoe Super Moderator

I'd love to know how this turned out. Mommy is a bit overprotective I would say. There are many professional athletes out there that don't have their mom's sleep on air matresses. The research and find regiement that work to control these problems.

Someone needs to tell mom to let go and tell her son to find a professional athlete as a mentor......

4. txmom

txmom Approved members

Andy,

You give me hope.....I have a few questions. My son is 16 1/2 and fairly newly diagnosed. I am trying not to be the overprotective mother (very hard some times).

I have often wondered if I am letting him take on too much too soon. He does sleep over and hang out with friends if they are planning an early morning activity the next day. He just spent 2 days in a hotel with the high school golf team. He also plays ice hockey.

I try to keep in mind that I have just 2 years to teach him everything he needs to know to manage this disease on his own in college. When he needs night checks he sets his alarm (I also set mine and stand outside his room to make sure he is awake and testing.....he always wakes and tests so I can probably stop this now).

He injects (rather than pumps) as the thought of the pump still creeps him out a bit. He is not bashful to inject at a restaurant etc. Do you think I should push him a bit toward the pump or let him stick with the program he is comfortable with.

I don't think either of us know enough about pumps at this point....

How often do you wear the continuous monitor? Only when you exercise? This would be a great device for ice hockey - he tests on the bench and keeps drinks snacks as well - but a continuous monitor sounds much easier. He can drop by 100 in about 10 minutes if he is double shifted or covering a penalty kill.....he knows he has to test/eat immediately after.

Thanks for being a great D role model for younger active kids.

5. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Hi,

I'm not Andy but my son is in college...a Junior now...time flies.

I think it's a personal decision to use a pump or not. Maybe you can go to a conference or some other event where you can see the various pumps and learn more about them. Then your son can make an informed decision. My son loves his pump. But some people don't like them. The cgms is something he'd wear for 7+ days in a row. It's not something you can put on and off for a sport. Many people who use them use them continuously putting a new sensor in when the 1st sensor dies. Alex just wears his from time to time b/c he finds it to be annoying....falls out too much.

6. txmom

txmom Approved members

Thanks for the response - sooooo much to learn. We have attended "pump class" at Children's Hospital. So far he has not been swayed.

Was the transition to college difficult for your son?

7. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

No, the transition to college was not hard for Alex....he was ready to go and loves it.

BUT it was very hard on me!!!!:eek: