- advertisement -

Want to help?

Discussion in 'Teens OT' started by s0ccerfreak, Jan 11, 2009.

1. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

Anybody like to write? I have to write an essay for a scholarship: How would our scholarship help you attain your career goals? Elaborate on your personal, unique circumstances.

career goal: pediatric nurse
    personal, unique circumstances: diabetes?
    how would it help: I wouldn't have to pay as much... lol i don't think thats what they want

Feel free to throw ideas at me

2. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

Hmm....

I would add in like your experience with nurses say when you were diagnosed with D, asthma, or the vocal cord dysfunction thingy. It can be good, like saying that you want to take in some of those qualities, and I would add in the bad saying that you would hope to be the nurse where the patient feels comforted. I would add in the need for financials, and that you wouldn't have to focus more on the financial problems while in college, that you'd be focusing more on the work and dedication it takes to being a pediatric nurse. But definitely add in some personal experiences.

3. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

Don't look at me. I suck at writing essays.

4. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

maybe that you can better understand and help kids that are sick because you yourself have been there. i know how much i favored the diabetic educator and nutritionist at nemours when they where there, not because the others were/are bad but because they understood better what i was having trouble with, thinking about, etc.
    definantley throw in the bit about how much med supplies cost and everything.
    that's about all i got:eek:, hope it helps:cwds:

5. s0ccerfreak

you guys are great :D

6. s0ccerfreak

Which sounds better:
    I have had many experiences with doctors and nurses. or . I have had many encounters with doctors and nurses. or . something else?

7. diamondback688

I like either one. They both sound good.

Sorry, I guess that wasn't much help.:rolleyes::D

8. misscaitp

I vote for this one, I would just add a bit more on to the sentence.

9. s0ccerfreak

After thinking overnight, I have decided on experiences- sounds positive where as encounters sounds negative to me.
    Here is my what I want to do and why:
    Next year, I plan to attend with the intent to major in Nursing. I would like to specialize in pediatrics and Diabetes. Throughout my life I have had the opportunity to be around many disabled and injured people because my mom is a physical therapist. Many people assume that because someone is disabled their mind does not work right or they are mean, scary people. By simply sitting down and playing with a disabled child it is obvious they are just like any other human being who enjoys having fun and needs to be loved. I also have had many personal experiences with doctors and nurses throughout my life due to (not sure what to write exactly-something about my medical issues) When I was 7, I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. Most kids hate going to the doctor, they scream and cry when they have to go to the doctor, but not me I actually liked going to the doctor. My doctors and nurses made me comfortable, explained at an age appropriate level, and involved me in my care. I knew that they were there to help me, not to hurt me. I appreciate and admire everything that they have done for me. I have realized how blessed I am to have a team of doctors, the newest medical equipment, and medication to help me live life to the fullest when some people barely have the basics to survive. There are many sick and hurting people throughout the world without anyone to care for them. I want to help others live their life to fullest, understand what is going on, and feel safe and comfortable while receiving care. I believe everyone has the right to quality healthcare and God has called me to provide this care. I plan to pursue a degree in nursing in order to provide people with healthcare they may not otherwise receive.

10. misscaitp

I love it Rae!! I wouldn't fix a thing!!

11. diamondback688

I have a few changes that I would like to make. I'll highlight them in red. Just my suggestions.:D

12. s0ccerfreak

How does this sound? -I have had many experiences with doctors and nurses throughout my life due to several medical conditions that I have-

13. diamondback688

Works for me.:D

14. s0ccerfreak

Well, thanks to all of you-here it is: Next year, I plan to attend with the intent to major in Nursing. I would like to specialize in pediatrics and Diabetes. Throughout my life I have had the opportunity to be around many disabled and injured people because my mom is a physical therapist. I also have had many personal experiences with doctors and nurses throughout my life due to several medical conditions. When I was 7, I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. My doctors and nurses made me comfortable, explained at an age appropriate level, and involved me in my care. I knew that they were there to help me, not to hurt me. I appreciate and admire these qualities and that is what I want patients to see in me. I have realized how blessed I am to have a team of doctors, the newest medical equipment, and medication to help me live life to the fullest when some people barely have the basics to survive. There are many sick and hurting people throughout the world without anyone to care for them. I want to help others live their life to fullest, understand what is going on, and feel safe and comfortable while receiving care. I believe everyone has the right to quality healthcare and God has called me to provide this care. I plan to pursue a degree in nursing in order to provide people with healthcare they may not otherwise receive.
    Receiving the Scholarship would allow me my goal of becoming a nurse to provide people with healthcare they may not otherwise receive. This scholarship would ease the financial impact on my family and I. Due to medical conditions, a lot must be spent on medications, supplies and appointments. I have two older brothers who will also be in college next year. This scholarship would allow me to worry less about paying tuition and buying textbooks. I would be able to focus more of my time and attention to studying and becoming the best nurse I can. It would also allow me to complete college with less debt. I would use the extra money to take part in mission trips to Ecuador and assist with medical care there. I am passionate about helping others through the abilities I have been given and am willing to work to overcome any barriers.

15. diamondback688

I like it. Sounds great to me.

16. moco89

moco89 Approved members

I will pm you my essay. I won some $$$ because of it. It is related to D.