- advertisement -

waking up with ketones

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by Mon2682, May 10, 2014.

1. Mon2682

Mon2682 New Member

Hi , my son is 14 and on a pump for about 2yrs now.when he goes to bed his bs is ok at 12am check no change but at 3am he just spikes like crazy to where even with a correction his bs is high and he eiter has small ketones amount or large.Have been in touch with his endo weekly we have changed basal rates for early morning hours numerous times. I know he has gotten taller was wondering if anyone else with teenage boy has experienced similar situation. If puberty could be causing spikes.

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Puberty can definitely create spikes, and especially basal needs during the night while they're growing. It sounds like he needs a huge basal increase in the early a.m. hours to have him good for morning. Good luck figuring it out!

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I think you need to invest in a Blood ketone metter because that will give you a better idea of where the ketones really are.

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

I agree - a ketone meter will give you real-time information.

5. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I got a FREE Precision Xtra combination blood glucose and ketone meter. (It didn't come with ketone strips which I will need to purchase separately, but what the heck, the meter was free!) I've forgotten the exact website...you might just try googling "Precision Xtra".

ETA: Go to "choosefreestyle.com". The Precision Xtra is the fourth and last choice on the page.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  6. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Yes, this is quite common in teens, it's called dawn phenomenon. The body releases natural steroids and insulin resistance is a result. Keep raising that basal and test test test. If you can get a CGM that's very helpful for figuring out this middle of the night spikes (and making sure you aren't having a high from a low/rebound).

My son's 2am basal is nearly double his 10pm basal. The trick is to lower the basal about 2 hours BEFORE the spike, corrections are tricky with this and don't work well for my son either, once he's high he's very resistant to insulin, it's crazy. Do a good strong basal test, find out the timing of the spike, then up the basal a few hours ahead of that, test and test some more. I can't stress the overnight testing during this enough because some kids see a low then a rebound high and you certainly don't want to add insulin to that. CGM is awesome for this though, do you have one?

7. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Until about two weeks ago, I wouldn't have said my teen has dawn phenomenon, but her profile has done a major shift with the warmer weather. I think it's because she's so active during the day, and that increases her sensitivity for hours afterwards. When it wears off, she needs more during the early dawn hours than she did prior (in relation to the rest of the day) - but still less than she was using before.