- advertisement -

Vitamins and supplements

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kt_mom, Nov 17, 2013.

1. kt_mom

kt_mom Approved members

We joined a local support group after DD was diagnosed and we went to our second meeting today. The speaker was a local ped. endo. She's not our doctor though. She had some good info on the effects of high blood sugar and some of the long and short term complications that can happen.

She also talked about different vitamins and supplements and there was quite a list I couldn't hardly keep up. From things like Vitamin D, multi vitamins, fish oil, probiotics, something to do with cumin and some other things. She also promotes gluten free eating as well.

Her top four were the Vit D, a good multi, fish oil and a probiotic. We haven't added anything and haven't been told to. I was wondering what everyone' kids are taking if anything. I plan to bring this up with at next appointment with DD's doctor.

Oh, and there are several people there that drink something called kombucha tea. I think that's what it is called.

2. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

The only thing Hana takes is vitamin D because she is deficient. The dr mentions a multi vitamin when we go for check up but I don't bother since we have a healthy diet. Those are the only things that are ever mentioned.

3. Kunkfam

Kunkfam Approved members

All of my kids are on a multivitamin and fish oil! They have been for while.

4. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

I give my DD vitamin D and fish oil. She also takes calcium because she's lactose intolerant. Our endo has never mentioned vitamins. But we do list the vitamins she's already taking at each visit.

There is no scientific evidence to support the health claims for Kombucha tea. And there are reports of people getting sick from poorly made Kombucha.

5. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

The research I have done informs me that some vitamins and nutrients can help lessen, reverse? the effects of high BG, namely, AGE's. The traditional theory is that once an AGE is formed it is permanent. More recent research suggest that it MIGHT not be permanent if the high BG comes down early, is followed by a low, or if the nutrients alluded to above are present.

I have no doubt the list is long and probably includes most anti-oxidants. We have decided to include the simple ones: vitamin C, B-complex and turmeric.

I have no doubt that vit D, and probiotics are great for many people but I am not aware of them having an effect on AGE's. I think a gluten free diet is probably great for another great many people, certainly for those who are gluten intolerant and perhaps for as much as 30% of the population.

Kombucha tea is a fermented drink. As far as I know it has no magic that cannot also be found in yogurt, raw milk, homemade sour kraut, cole slaw, or other fermented cabbage recipes. Sour cream and buttermilk also contain the same cultures. Sally Fallon will have a lot of information on probiotics as well as a bunch of her own "way" of doing things.

Pre-biotics can be found in garlic, onion and other vegetables and are useful along with probiotics.

Oddly enough little research supports the use of a multi-vitamin despite the fact that it includes the other vitamins. IMO just figure out what specific vitamins, minerals, and herbs, you need and in what quantities and balanced against what other nutrients you need and take those.
    Essential fatty acids are also great food for many people to re-balance the ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 fats but I am not aware of any effect on AGE's. My preference would be to reduce the omega 6 rather than to increase the omega 3s.

Here is a link to a long list of crosslink inhibitors and a brief description of each. They are not all right for everybody.
    http://www.drzarkov.com/blog/?p=109

6. swellman

swellman Approved members

Vitamin D and other vitamins and minerals for known deficiencies.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  7. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Mine both take a multivitamin for Vitamin D. Both have low levels but with the added D we get into the acceptable range.

We also do probiotics on occasion. I think they could benefit from it everyday but it isn't top of my priority list so it's just when I'm on a kick. :eek:

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Vitamin D because both kids are deficient (fairly common thing in Northern New England) and a multivitamin (not faithful about this). Otherwise, we have a pretty balanced diet and we get pretty much all we need from fruits and veggies. I take Align probiotic for a stomach issue I have and I do have to say it works very well for keeping my system in balance.

I am lactose intolerant. At my last GP visit, my doctor told me to stop with the calcium supplements as there are studies showing that this may lead to calcification of the arteries. After going through my diet she figures I get more than enough of what I need. I am now drinking almond milk, which I have to say is quiet good and is packed with vitamins.

9. msschiel

msschiel Approved members

I have been wondering about this, too. My newly diagnosed son (just got out of the hospital a month ago tomorrow) is dealing with his first sickness since he got diagnosed. Started with a sore throat on Friday and a fever over the weekend. Fever is gone, but sinuses are still clogged and throat is still a bit sore. I was wondering about Echinacea for fighting off colds. He was my sickest of my three boys and is on antibiotics at least 2-3 times a year. He has already been on them at least twice this year. Once was for a sinus infection and a MRSA infection on his neck and the second was for a spider bite in July. Most of the Echinacea remedies that I have looked at have honey and I am just not sure what that would do to his sugars. Just wonder if anyone had thoughts about that! Thanks.

10. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

If there is enough honey in it you will need to dose. Same with liquid tylenol etc. When we used liquid tylenol we dosed as if it were an equal amount of corn syryp and that worked fine.

IMO, and this is highly tentative, mostly guesswork actually, echinachia which has been proven to stimulate the immune system might just stimulate the immune system to respond to echinachia and who is to say that it in any way stimulates the immune system to responds to any germ whatsoever. Would the analogy be giving a tetanus vaccine to stimulate the immune system to respond to polio? I say this being a strong proponent of alternative treatments who just thinks that sometimes more work needs to be done to choose the right alternative treatments.

11. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I've taken multiple Shaklee supplements, and have for many years, not for Diabetes, but for overall health, which I have. I simply don't get the flu, haven't had a cold in over 25 years that has lasted more then 3 days!
    I also eat a healthy diet and 98% home made from scratch meals. My junk food is Black Rice Sushi!