- advertisement -

Vitamin D

Discussion in 'Teens OT' started by TheFormerLantusFiend, May 26, 2010.

1. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I'm not sure where to post these days, parents or teens... anyways.

In February I posted because my vitamin D level was 8 (which is really low) and the doctor said he wanted me to take supplements and I was trying to figure out which ones to take. I settled on vitamin D in olive oil, which I had with my breakfast. He said to take 50,000 units per week of vitamin D, so I took 8000 units per day.

Guess what? I had my vitamin D levels tested on Monday, and they were 99 :eek: The endo says that's the highest he's ever seen except in people who were hospitalized for vitamin D toxicity, and I should stop taking the vitamin D for a month or two and then retest. More blood draws! :rolleyes:

Have you ever had a high vitamin D level?

P.S. I mostly think this is funny, is why I'm posting.

2. Rukio

Rukio Banned

o.o thats insane. I personally dont know, I dont think mine is. o_O

3. Mistync991

Mistync991 Approved members

they just checked mine and it was 14 ..they put me on rx 50,000 once a week and when i went back he said i would most likely be on that indeffinatly ...makes me wonder why they didnt put you on the rx version that is more controlled than supplements ..and with the second reading if one of the test was off

4. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

I'm getting mine checked in a couple weeks and will let you know what I find out.

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

There were two big reasons we went with the over the counter:
    1. I can't swallow pills.
    2. I could get them faster.

I'm more wondering if the 8 was because at the time I was having problems with my liver and kidneys due to gallstones, and that has been resolved, so maybe my absorption of vitamin D has improved.

6. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

My vitamin D was also low though not as low as 8 (14 maybe?). I started on 50,000/week for several months. Then down to 6,000/day when my levels got up around 50. A couple of weeks ago I went to 5,000/day due to price of the 5,000IU pills compared to the 2,000IU pills. I haven't had a chance to get my D rechecked in a while, but given how long it took me to get to the recommended "normal" levels, I doubt it's high.

7. Mistync991

Mistync991 Approved members

this could very well be why they were low and came up so fast ...still though i would have it rechecked again soon to make sure it really is up ..hopefully it is :)