- advertisement -

Vitamin D

Discussion in 'Teens' started by monkey123, Aug 24, 2008.

1. monkey123

monkey123 Approved members

It says in my life science diabetes can be caused by low vitamin D levels( you absorb some vitamin d from the sun, thats what its talking about.)

It says:

-Prevention of Diabetes Unusally low vitamin d levels lead to reduced insulin secretion and slow the bodies ability to use insulin.

Of course, they don't say T1 or T2.

I know this isnt why I got diabetes, I get too much sun.

I have never heard of this before.

2. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

I have heard that diabetes is caused by evry other thing out there. you hear so much, you just don't know what to believe anymore:(

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

That refers to T1. The deal is that people with newly diagnosed diabetes in Finland were more likely than their siblings to be mildly vitamin D deficient, and that deficiency of vitamin D predicted D onset, BUT that doesn't really prove that deficiency caused diabetes and not the other way around.

Taking vitamin D has not been shown to prevent the development of diabetes.

4. karpoozi123

karpoozi123 Approved members

That study really bothered me. Maybe cuz my vitamin D level was so horribly low...

LantusFiend, (did you ever hear of this?) my CDE told me that the orthodox jewish community is much more prone to vitamin D deficiency because they wear clothing that gives much more coverage and therefor have little exposure to sunlight. Interesting, huh?

5. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

Wouldn't be surprised if my religion falls in with this. We wear long sleeves, and long skirts(women)/pants(men) and of course, pantyhose a lot. So like 80-90% of me is usually covered up. Like my hands and face aren't, and my feet sometimes.

6. TheFormerLantusFiend

To answer if I've heard what your CDE said, the answer is that I've heard that women who suddenly become Orthodox Jews or Moslims tend to get vitamin D deficiency, and I heard that from a doctor in this community. But that same doctor said that it was only people who became religious who tended to develop the deficiency, and that people who'd been religious their whole lives tended to eat diets that compensated.

I have also wondered about whether vitamin D deficiency caused my diabetes- I've been wearing long pants and sleeves all the time since fourth grade, when Priva Lefkowitz told me that the boys in her family dressed like that. I became a vegetarian in fourth grade, and then a vegan in sixth.

When I was 15, I asked about my risk of vitamin D deficiency, and was told that I shouldn't worry about it, because I spend a lot of time outdoors, and in the amount of time I spend outdoors, I'd get enough sunlight even through the clothes. I assume that women and girls have a much bigger issue in our communities because they spend more time indoors, and tend to wear more clothes. Also, I think moslims have a bigger issue because of the darker clothing.

I assume that part of what bothers you is the idea that religious practice might be unhealthy, or that your sisters/daughters/nieces might be at higher risk because of relgious practice. The customs of tzniut (yes, I called them customs on purpose) might not be super duper healthy, but I think that an awareness of a risk of vitamin D deficiency should be enough to allow dietary supplementation, more time spent outdoors, and light colored shirts. Even a three quarters length sleeve would probably help. The human body's need for vitamin D is not very high. Wearing suntan lotion only as needed might also be a good idea. I know we hear about skin cancer, but with the clothes we're wearing its really not such an issue.

7. Daxdog

Daxdog Approved members

I heard that Vitamin D makes your T 1 progrees faster, aka, it makes you get diagnosed earlier than you might have. It does not cause either type though.

8. karpoozi123

You do????

I agree that awareness is all that is needed. You just have to check your vitamin D level, and, if necessary take a supplement. No biggie (if anyone thinks it is let 'em try insulin!)

I don't know what you mean about light clothing. In my circles, about 60-80 percent of girls will wear black and black, especially to a fancy occasion like a wedding, bar mitzva or engagement party. :eek:

9. TheFormerLantusFiend

I don't know what girls in Chicago's Orthodox community wear to formal events, but the girls tend to wear blue or white blouses and dark blue skirts at the girls' schools that start with "bais," ; the modern Orthodox schools have a variety of less strict dress codes but none have dark blouses, and that doesn't seem to be what the girls choose for themselves. Women might be wearing darker clothing, but I think it's kids whose vitamin D deficiency is the issue here.
    I personally come from the more left wing part of the Orthodox community; I've never even gone to a single sex school, although my youngest three brothers have. My mother decided to try to get them in a more frum environment after seeing how poorly I turned out. :( But actually, they like not having girls around, so that's fine.
    I do think it's strange that on the Diabetes Teen Talk Forum we have about five of us who come from frum backgrounds. I mean, there're what, twenty of us active on there?

10. karpoozi123

Yes, that would be the chicago equivalent of my high school. We have a light colored blouse for our uniform but a navy sweater that everyone wears-Always!

Who else? I only know of me, you and pet girl? :confused:

11. TheFormerLantusFiend

When we had the discussion about fasting, ally-o said that she (or he?- I'm just assuming that ally is a girl's name) was going to fast for yom kippur, and talked about learning about fast days in school, I think.
    I also had an IM conversation with somebody from the diabetes teen talk forum, a girl in Canada who is a Modern Orthodox Jew. That was about sixteen months ago, and whoever it was was thirteen at the time.

12. karpoozi123

Which username?

13. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

Yup!! Always...but I do wear a lot of bright colors, along with black. Like if I wear black I have a touch of brightnessness on me.

14. karpoozi123

Me too. Black skirt, black shirt.....TAN SHOES! :D

That's almost my uniform! LOL

15. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

:D LOL I talking like...what I'm wearing Friday night to the youth rally at church: Black suit jacket, black skirt, tan hose, black shoes, ORANGE shell. :D :D I was going to wear my pink jacket with a black shell/skirt/shoes, but the choir director said "Dark suit, any shell" so here I am.

16. karpoozi123

My shells come in two colors: black and white.
    And I wear shells under anything and everything just cuz.
    It's ok. You can call me crazy :D

17. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

LOL I do a lot too, like I don't wear short sleeves so I have SEVERAL long sleeve white shells that I put under like EVERYTHING, and then I have like this chronic fear of low necklines so I put a black/white shell under almost everything too!!

18. karpoozi123

Same here! Same here! Except I don't like the way short sleeves over long sleeves look, so I am stuck trying to find tee-shirts that cover my elbows.
    Where do you get shells from? I just (for the first time in all my years) found a company that makes shells I like: http://pbjshells.com/

19. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I get mine from all kinds of places...macy's, dillard's, walmart, JC Penney's, anywhere I find them, every once in awhile I can find them at Kohl's. I don't mind wearing the layers, some people do EXTRA layers and do short sleeve/sleeveless shell under the shirt and then a jacket over it. Shopping is an adventure :D.