- advertisement -

Vitamin D - what supplement does your CWD take?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lisa - Aidan's mom, May 30, 2012.

1. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

2. ecure

ecure Approved members

Some researchers are aware of vitamin D effect on nod mouse like Dr Faustman and bart roep... Beta-cells and immune cells have receptor of vitamin d. You could research the medical litterature a lot of information.

It will be hard to obtain approval of fda to start a trial with extreme mega doses of vitamin d. but if we could obtain such approval of fda to start a trial like that, it will be a success especially in new onset diabetes type 1.

Mega-dose : like 160000UI daily or 200000UI daily or even more.. The best to use is vitamin D3.

I heard about a recent research about vitamin D with high dose of vitamin on human. could you confirm the dosage used , frequency, number of months? I suspect it's very low compare the mega-dose I posted above. If possible could you post this research pdf ? I'm pretty sure the dose used is very low or short period of time and low frequency.

I suspect around these doses we could obtain a reversal enough fast..

Everything has risk... but you should carefully monitor your vitamin D blood level total and converted vitamin d during your experience..if you try..
    Even exogenous insulin at high dose it's a big risk.. so you should increase your dose of vitamin d very slowly to determine your maximum tolerance.. maximum tolerance could vary from person to person.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

So if you can't show solid research that Type1 diabetes can be "stabilized" with vitamin D, why do you continue to make those claims on this site. It is also nonsensical to claim that a clinical trial will be successful before it is even started.

It has already been shown that mega doses of vitamin D can be toxic so why do you continue to come here and recommend it? I feel that is irresponsible.

You continue to say that Type 1 can be reversed or stabilized, yet you have no idea if this is true and I think it is irresponsible to keep saying it. There may be some people desperate for a cure who you are giving false hope to.

I am all for research, free speech, etc, but the claims and recommendations that you continue to make here are, in my opinion, irresponsible. So while I believe in your right to say them, I will continue to respectfully voice my opposition to them.

4. ecure

ecure Approved members

I said vitamin d could stabilize diabetes type 1 because I'm free to express my opinion about one compound who's really promising .. I read a lot of medical litterature on nod and human to form this opinion. Moreover, I had some information I could not post right now.. I 'd like to post it but it's not possible.

Mega-dose of vitamin d have been used in past without any toxic side-effects for other conditions... It's clear in medical litterature we could use vitamin D at mega-dose under short-period safely. Do your dilligence and read all those researches.

We have some anecdotal cases of vitamin d intoxication in medical litterature. Some people may have very low tolerance and if you remember in my last post, I mentionned **very slowly** increase vitamin D to determine your tolerance.. I mentionned a potential wise strategy to determine your tolerance , it don't imply any recommendation .. A guideline exists already up 10000UI vitamin d3 daily for immunomodulation FYI.

My intention in my last post is not to recommend anything . I'm sorry if you deducted indirectly it was my intention. My intention is only to share in a friendly manner..

You should be very happy of my contribution to CWD..

I noticed a lot of phase II researches lack of a good methodology. Every researches in phase II should not just have a good methodology but a perfect one.

I think one time I'd like to share in detail all the problems in current phase II methodology who condemns a phase II before the beginning. I'm sure a lot of people in diabetes type 1 community would be interested to know.

---- We could predict chance of success of one trial in phase II with the choice of his methodology.. we could even contest a bad phase II methodology approved by FDA.. We live in a free world and diabetes type 1 community is free to contest a bad methodology who will waste money of donors....

5. Christopher

I am curious about something. Has mega doses of vitamin D stabilized or reversed your own diabetes?

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

The main problems I have with your posts are that 1) You state your opinion as if it is fact; and 2) Whenever anyone asks you to support your opinion/fact with a cite or study, you refuse. I'd prefer to keep you on mental ignore, but I fear that someone will not realize that most of what you post is just pure conjecture and will act on your advice to the detriment of their child.

7. Christopher

This is really the only reason I engage this person at all. I believe most people can see through all the hyperbole, but you never know.

8. ecure

ecure Approved members

Several studies explain mechanism of action of vitamin d3... Search the medical litterature.. If you have time to read, you will find it very interesting and educational.
    One time I will try to find some times to create a list of references. If you are interested.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=vitamin d3 over 24042 research papers.. it's not a rare topic..

if it's possible for you obtain the full research papers, abstract is usually pretty basic information. If you want to learn every detail of vitamin d3 mechanism, full research paper is a must...

Good reading:)

9. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

ecure, please provide citations to support your claim that vitamin D at doses other science shows is toxic will result in the stabiliztion (what does that mean?) of type 1 diabetes.

If you cannot, please refrain from posting what would otherwise be considered promotions of a "miracle cure" (e.g., nonsense), which is specifically prohibited by the terms of service for the CWD Forums.

10. Christopher

I don't think you understand. I am not interested in sifting through thousands of articles on vitamin D that have nothing to do with its relationship to diabetes. I am not interested in learning every detail about the mechanism of vitamin D. I simply wanted you to provide solid research that backed up your claims.

11. caspi

caspi Approved members

Exactly my fear as well. I also don't like that he has referenced Dr. Faustman on the bottom of his signature. I don't want people to relate his nonsense (my opinion) with the good work that Dr. Faustman is doing.

12. Deal

Deal Approved members

I see it as the same thing. Dr. Faustman continues not to deliver. I see ecure as someone that desperately wants to believe in a simple cure in the near horizon, so he finds things that fit this hope even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

13. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Who is this we you keep referring to?

14. ecure

ecure Approved members

we= diabetes type 1 community

I never refuse to post any references.. I just don't have time to write a complete article with several references and quotations at the moment..
    It's the reason I suggested to consult the medical literature yourself.
    I know it's time-consuming task and for some reasons you are not interested to dig the medical literatures yourself.

I'm totally unpaid for my contribution... Moreover, I struggle between my hypo and hyper to give all my energy and contribution to diabetes type 1 community ..

I work very hard for all diabetes type 1 community..

In next months, I will gather several references and quotations in medical literatures. So I will prepare a great summary for those of you who don't have time to read the medical litterature themselves.

thank you

15. hawkeyegirl

What exactly do you contribute to the type 1 community?

16. swellman

swellman Approved members

You're obviously forgetting his/her list. :(

17. hawkeyegirl

Ah, the list. Now with dirt!

18. swellman

swellman Approved members

I had to go look ... LOL ... good one. However, I added these as a joke and they made the grade.

I'm honestly baffled as to why Jeff hasn't deleted that thread.

19. hawkeyegirl

My guess? He hasn't seen it yet.

20. steph

steph Approved members

@ ecure. i personally think that it's great that you are interested in looking into alternative research for the treatment/cure of diabetes. however, the way you sometimes present things comes of a little grandiose. if you cited a single article or 2 that you found promising and shared, i think you would get more people to share your interest or carry on a dialogue about it. i believe your enthusiasm and very optimistic opinions rub people the wrong way. it reminds me of all of the new, expensive treatments that have come about in the last few years promising desperate parents that their children can be cured of autism. i have seen many parents deplete savings and go into debt grasping at straws to cure their child, but at the end of it all, their child still had autism. and while you are not trying to personally benefit from these treatments that i know of, it still has that predatory feel to it. so a link to a particular article rather that a statement like vitamin D could reverse T1D would resonate better. just my opinion.

at OP... my kiddo still takes the baby trivisol vitamin A,C&D drops. It's 400 IU per ml and tastes yummy. i would recommend using drops like this or the plain C ones in addition to a regular kids multivitamin like flintstones bc the body needs the other minerals to better absorb vitamin D. this will just give him the recommended 1000 IU, not a "mega dose".