- advertisement -

Vitamin D - what supplement does your CWD take?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lisa - Aidan's mom, May 30, 2012.

1. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

DS's Vitamin D blood work came back on the low side, 25.1 with the range being 30 - 100.

What does your child take? Endo recommended 1000 IU of Vitamin D daily, but he's having a hard time swallowing the pill (he's 7). Does it come in liquid form or a more child-friendly 'gummy' or the like?

Thank you for any advice.

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

My son takes 1000 iu daily. It's a teeny, tiny pill. :) I buy the Walgreens brand.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Target Up & Up brand gummies. 1000u

Beware, they do contain carbs, so you may or may not need to bolus for them.

4. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Christina, I know it's tiny! But he somehow manages to dissolve part of it in his mouth, chew some of it and spit the rest out!

Beach Bum - just what I was looking for - thank! I'll head to Target today to find them!

THANK YOU!

5. natallia

natallia Approved members

there are vit. D drops 400IU per drop. I just give 2-3 drops to all my kids with their meal. it tastes really good too. We call them "magic drops" and they can't wait to have them every time! :)

6. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Hana's Vitamin D came back low too - I think around 23. The dr. said to take 3000 units daily. However, my 12 year old niece who just finished a year of Chemo for Lymphoma, also tested low. The dr. said you need far more than the 1000 iu. She has to take 50,000 for a month and then can drop down to 3000. I have spoken with other people who were low as well and they said the same thing.
    I do know that Vitamin D is safe and you can't overdose. The 10,000 iu are hard to find. The pharmacist had to order them for my sister.

7. Gomod71

Gomod71 Approved members

We use a gummy brand called Lil' Critters (I think). I get it just about anywhere - Target, CVS, Walmart, etc.

8. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I took it in olive oil drops.

I developed vitamin D and calcium levels that were too high when I supplemented, so I stopped.

9. swellman

swellman Approved members

Vitamin D Toxicity

10. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

My 16 yr old nephew finished chemo last Sept. He was low after the treatment & the dr put him on 50,000iu as well. He has been tested monthly since & his levels finally reached normal range last month. He's now on 5000iu to keep it that way.

11. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Thank you all again for the suggestions and links regarding Vitamin D.

12. caspi

caspi Approved members

LOL, my oldest was like that. He couldn't take any pills at all, even the tiny ones. He eventually grew out of that at the age of 11 or so. :cwds:

13. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Clearly, Vitamin D is not as "safe" as people believe it to be. Thanks for posting this information.

14. Deal

Deal Approved members

Too much of anything is harmful, including water. Vitamin D deficiency is also harmful which is why there is a guideline as to how much vitamin D supplement one should be comfortable taking.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  15. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Like I stated, it is sometimes necessary to take high doses if you are deficient. This is temporary and can be dropped down when levels return to normal. Vitamin D is safe. LIke anything, too much of a good thing can be dangerous but not in the doses that are recommended.

From WebMD:

Taking vitamin D for long periods of time in doses higher than 4000 units per day is POSSIBLY UNSAFE and may cause excessively high levels of calcium in the blood. However, much higher doses are often needed for the short-term treatment of vitamin D deficiency. This type of treatment should be done under the supervision of a healthcare provider.

Vitamin D is very important and it is just now becoming known how important it is.

16. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Vitamin D toxicity can occur at recommended doses; it happened to me. People with autoimmune disease are especially vulnerable to vitamin D toxicity. Even though vitamin D toxicity can only happen at doses of millions of units in normal people, in some vulnerable people (like me) it can happen at far lower doses. I was put on vitamin D because I was deficient and I developed hypercalcemia because of the vitamin D, in two months. It was dangerous and I took only the recommended dose.

17. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

We use Vitafusion gummies. Each gummy is 1,000 u. Ab takes 3,000u daily, gets her level checked every 6 months, along with other labs.

18. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Personally I won't take a generic vitamin or one that can be sold in big box stores for pennies, a lot of those prodecuts have horrible fillers, the product I use does triple blind testing along with other proven scientific studies.
    I've been using supplements and vitamins for over 25 years and have never had toxicity, and am generally healthy, I know during flu and cold season to mega dose some, and generally I don't catch anything. I have never been Vitamin D deficient.
    Do your research on HOW your supplement or vitamin is made. My Doctors advise me to look for "Cold Processing" as it doesn't destroy the supplement.

19. ecure

ecure Approved members

I think each person needs a different dose..
    Best strategy to determine your dose is to increase your dose very slowly and ask doctor to check vitamin D blood level total and converted... you could continue to increase if you don't have any side-effects...

Vitamin D is really beneficial to stabilize diabetes type 1 especially at high dose.

but each one is different, find the dose you could tolerate well ..
    Check your hypo carefully during your increase of vitamin d.. it could reduce your insulin intake.. Severe hypo are possible with high dose of vitamin D..Watch carefully your blood glucoses and reduce your insulin if you have tooo much hypo.
    Warning.... rebound from hypo to hyper is possible too.. dawn phenomenon ... and ketones should be checked carefully as well..
    Ideally, you should have a cgms during your increase of vitamin d.. so you could see the rebounds patterns very fast..

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  20. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I would LOVE to see proof that Type 1 can be stabilized. Please show us.

Again, is this just YOUR experience or do you have definitive research?