- advertisement -

Vision problems and high BG?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bandmkolb, Feb 8, 2012.

1. bandmkolb

bandmkolb Approved members

My son has an appt. Monday for his first eye exam. He has been having some vision problems, and we have also been battling quite a few highs and trying to pinpoint the cause. My question is.. Could his vision problem be a result of the high BG readings and also if over time his level stays lower, would his eyesight improve?

2. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Even a "temporary" high can interfere with vision. The fluids in the eye expand in order to dilute the elevated levels of blood sugar, which does impact vision for as long as blood sugar levels are elevated.

3. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

It can definitely play a part... however some vision changes are sort of normal and can occur just due to growing.

Your son is about the same age as mine was when he got his first pair of glasses.

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter says she can tell the difference in her vision when she hits 200 or above, sometimes at 170.

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

There are two separate issues, blurred vision from temporary high BGs due to the difference in sugar levels of the fluid in the eyes, and long term vision damage due to high BGs. The chances of your son having long term damage already are basically nothing, but it's normal to get some blurred vision from high BG. I know I get it. Looking back it was one of my first symptoms pre-dx.

6. bandmkolb

Thanks all. Just wondering if his BG happens to be high when getting the exam, if we will really know if it just normal vision problems. Guess we will see. At least his appt is in the afternoon because his numbers are usually good then. It's mostly mornings we are having trouble with.

7. AJMom

AJMom Approved members

My DD just had her first eye dr appt this afternoon! She too is 9 (10 tomorrow:D) and recently diagnosed. She has been having frequent 'eye hurts'. On Saturday she told me the words look blue! The eye Dr got her in today and all was good! Vision perfect and no damage! Like Emma mentioned - just not a possiblity of the long term damage from high BG at this point! The DR did indicate that absolutely the kids can feel the BG changes (especially sudden, like DD has). Dr gave DD a 20/20/20 rule. 20 minutes reading (anything - computer, book), look 20 feet away for 20 seconds.

I was in a panic, so worried about her vision, but feel much better since the appointment! The DR also mentioned it is great to have a baseline exam so early in the process.

I hope your appointment goes well!

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Honestly I quite often have a low carb meal before eye tests (like an omelette) to reduce the possibility of a spike.

9. bandmkolb

Thanks! Good suggestion.

10. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

DS had trouble with his vision and his eye was twitching. His BG had been very erratic around that time and because of the twitch and blurry vision the doctor had us come in a couple of times. The twich turned out to be nerves but it was interesting that his vision was different every time depending on his BG, getting worse as his numbers were higher.

She just recommended that we keep his BG in range. I chuckled because that is always the goal! We just go through periods of time when his numbers just go crazy.

11. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I've worn glasses since I was nine and had my prescription changed annually for about ten years. After I was diagnosed with diabetes my vision went crazy and for about two months my vision kept changing and I couldn't use my glasses because they were usually too strong a prescription but my vision was too unstable to get a new pair. After a few months, I went for new glasses. My prescription was down to about what it had been when I was thirteen, which is my strongest piece of evidence that I'd had diabetes at least since I was fourteen.
    Oddly enough, my visual acuity doesn't seem to change with different blood sugars in the very short term, but what does change is my light sensitivity- things look too bright when I'm high and too dim when I'm low.