- advertisement -

Victoza

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Megnyc, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Has anyone tried victoza? It is normally used for type 2 but a few studies have shown it reduces glucose variability with type 1 as well. I'm going to ask my endo about it at my appointment next week. I use symlin right now but this would only be one shot a day instead of a shot every time I eat which seems preferable.

2. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I think the mechanism of action behind this class of drug is that it reduces prandial glucagon secretion. I am not really sure how that would be helpful in a person without a pancreas ?

I would be curious what you doctors say ?

Also, there is concerns that this drug and januvia might be linked to a cancer risk.

3. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Yeah, I think it slows gastric emptying as well though. That is how symlin works and I love symlin.

It doesn't matter though because my insurance will apparently only cover byetta which is 2 shots a day so no different than symlin. My endo can give me a few months of samples of victoza but I doubt I can justify insurance coverage for long term use.

4. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Did your doctor say how the victoza causes a delay in gastric emptying in the absence of a pancreas?

I think the effect of victoza in type 1 might be as a result of more than just gastric emptying. I heard the drug causes visible changes to beta cells.

(I heard the cost of victoza is around 1000$ per month in Canada. So I can only imagine what it costs in the US.)

5. redheadmom

redheadmom Approved members

I have tried it. (I am a type 1.) I asked my doctor for it, and he's a great guy...even though it's a type 2 drug, he was willing to let me give it a try.

Long story short- I couldn't handle the side effects. It really did help my blood sugars (like no more spikes), but it also made me very nauseated and I had HORRIBLE diarrhea (like the "I can't go anywhere because I need to be near a bathroom" kind).

I was bummed. I was really hoping that this would be the key to knocking down my A1C, but I just couldn't do it.

6. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Meg, I would be really curious about your results with victoza if you have the opportunity to try it.

I do not think the mechanism in typical autoimmune mediated diabetes is known. The effect in a person with no pancreas might shed some light on this issue.

The use of victoza in type 1 is ?way off label? as my endo put it. For one it is not approved for use with insulin even in T2s, and it is only approved for T2s.

I have been on januvia, and had some mixed results (I have classic autoimmune mediated diabetes.)

My endo would prescribe victoza, but the cost is prohibitive.

(Symilin is not available in Canada.)

Also, do not hesitate to try metformin again. More and more favourable evidence for the use of metformin is emerging, and there is evidence it reduces cancer risk.

I would jump at the opportunity to try victoza, but if I was going to invest that type of money I think cgm sensors would be the better investment.

7. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

8. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Thanks for the thoughts :cwds:

I'm a bit scared of the reported side effects so I am not totally sure I will be trying it. Especially since after I use up the samples I would be paying the $580 a month. I can't imagine successfully appealing the denial seeing as my reason for wanting it over symlin is simply convenience.

I have used Metformin in the past. My issue right now though is not insulin sensitivity since I am actually relatively sensitive to insulin (12 units basal, 1:90 ISF, 1:14-1:26 carb ratios). It is just the fact that if I eat more than 50 carbs at once I will hit 250+ without symlin :(. Symlin basically keeps my blood sugar flat after eating but I am sick of the whole remembering the pen and the pen needle and excusing myself before eating to take the shot. Not sure if metformin or maybe januavia will help with that :confused:

I don't think anyone really knows if/how it would work with me :confused: Perhaps I should try it as a science experiment...

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Ever considered putting it in am Omnipod?

I met the wife of a T1D CDE that wore 2 PODS, she was surprised when I didn't look at her strange and ask if the other POD gave Symlin.

10. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I have considered it but I'm not really willing to wear another site. I would consider mixing it with insulin in my pump but I haven't tried that yet. There just isn't much info out there on how to do that since it is so far from an approved use.

11. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

12. don04

don04 Approved members

I did try Victoza a couple years ago. I did not have side effects (affects?), and did not see any changes with my pump running Apidra Insulin. I found it more frustrating than anything remembering to take a shot in the morning.

My Dr. at the Joslin Center suggested it may help with absorption, since it takes approx 3 hours for any insulin I bolus to make any changes on my BG.... but I observed no changes.

13. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Thanks guys. I think I am going to wait on trying it. Bydureon seems interesting but also has some risks as well. It may be safest for me to just stick with insulin for now and use symlin for high carb meals.