- advertisement -

Victoza - does anybody know more about this drug?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by SarahKelly, Mar 23, 2011.

1. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I ran across this article and was really interested in it. Not really for treatment with my son as it seems a little more questionable in a small child, but with my husband whom has had t1d for over 20 yrs and despite an amazing a1c has a lot of fluctuation throughout his day.
    Just wondered if anybody had any additional info. Here's the article I found:

http://www.diatribe.us/issues/26/test-drive.php

2. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I have heard mixed things... including that both victoza and byetta "should not" offer many significant benefits to T1 patients because we lack the ability to produce Amylin (yet another beta cell function, or lack of), which is the main hormone that the drug is intended to stimulate production of. Symlin (which is synthetic Amylin) is typically regarded as the better choice for T1's, but it needs to be taken with meals (as does Byetta), so it means extra shots. Victoza is just once a day.

Ironically, my insurance will not cover Victoza, Byetta or Symlin without pre-authorization, but Victoza and Byetta are Teir 3 meds, while Symlin is a Tier 4. It's the main reason I haven't tried it.. it's expensive and a hassle to get.

ETA, I just looked up some info on Victoza and given that it acts on the very same mechanism to delay release that Levemir uses (binding to albumin in the blood), I doubt it could or would work for me.. since Levemir sure did not :(

3. SarahKelly

It's interesting to hear the different drugs that are available that may help in other areas of treatment...I just wish there was more information available to make better decisions about treatment. Just seems that insulin alone can't be "the answer" - I mean obviously it does work, but there must be more to it with the pancreas' beta cell function being diminished, kwim?

4. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

I know many adults with type 1 who are using Victoza off label, with the approval and under the guidance of their personal endocrinologist. Every one, to a person, reports amazing results, including reduced post-prandial blood sugar levels, reduced variability, and weight loss.

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Sounds almost too good to be true.

Does anyone know why this would not work in children?

6. SarahKelly

Jeff would you mind sharing more about this or have them share if their willing. I am just more interested in it for my husband as he has a lot of variabality throughout the day a bit of moodiness (which accompanies BG fluctuations) and lack of energy. All of which seem to be lessened by usage of this med. His doc isn't too keen at trying new things but I feel with enough encouragement my husband would push for trying it.
    I am not suggesting it for our son as it doesn't seem this drug has been tested in a young population at all from what I've found.

7. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

Based on what I have seen, I would encourage adults with type 1 to discuss Victoza with their endocrinologist. Again, I have a bunch of adult friends with type 1 who are using Victoza and all report excellent results. I'm hopeful that there will be reports on its use in this population in the literature sooner rather than later.

As with all new medications, use in children should be considered only after very careful consideration and discussions with your pediatric endocrinologist. Before I would even consider something like this in kids, I would explore metformin, which has been used in teens with type 1 during puberty to help mitigate the impact of puberty on glucose control.

8. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

My endo was talking about doing a trial with Victoza in adult type 1s. He asked me if I wanted to be a part of it when it started, and I said I'd think about it. I didn't hear more about it. I'm not sure I would want to be on another med.

9. SarahKelly

After having my husband read several articles he's interested. I feel guilty for asking him to look into another med, but what if insulin alone truly isn't enough...what if those beta cells have other functions or effect other things that insulin isn't "fixing". I know I am thankful for my husbands willingness to look into it.
    If you get any more info from your endo or friends and wouldn't mind sharing I'd love to hear about it :)

10. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I think with kids they worry about loss of appetite.

11. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

There is a saying that medicine is like fashion - you don't want to be the first in or the last out. I think this is fine for adults who are having trouble with management, but I would await some studies and a longer general experience before choosing this for my child. After all, it is similar to Byetta, which has been found to have some significant risks after it was approved.

12. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Well I went ahead and asked about it, and got told no :( I'm pleading my case, but it doesn't seem like my endo wants to hear it.. she does say I can try Symlin though. I think I just might do that if I don't get anywhere on getting an Rx for victoza.

13. Evansdad

Evansdad Approved members

Victozza

I am on my 3rd day with it plus metformin pills I have noticed lower blood sugars but I can not wait to see if I get over the side effects of nausea it seems to be worse after I have eaten and later in the day also I have taken naps I never do from 5pm-8pm both nights the doctor said alot of people lose weight on this medicine I can see why one meal a day sucks! well just threw up wish I knew if it was medicine or flu? I am leaning towards medcine

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  14. SarahKelly

eeek...hope you feel better soon and if it is the medicine how slowly are you increasing the dose?
    An additional reason to me that it's not a med for children, I don't know how I'd handle the titration period and the nausea with a 3 year old.

15. mmc51264

mmc51264 Approved members

Just asked our endo about it. not good for kids. He uses is sometimes for adolescents that are not well controlled T2. But not for T1 in kids at all.

I asked because I just got accepted into a research study for T2 and Victoza is one of 4 random meds I could get. That is the on;y one I ma concerned about --:confused: