- advertisement -

viacyte update

Discussion in 'Research' started by sparty87, Feb 4, 2016.

1. sparty87

sparty87 Approved members

2. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

If you do a search for "Viacyte preliminary results" there are hundreds of web pages.....mostly the same article over and over like the one above. The article mentions that "ViaCyte also disclosed preliminary results from its initial phase 1 trial.
    ", but other than these statements in the press release I was not able to actually find any results/papers/presentations.

I was curious if anyone had come across anything in their travels?

3. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

There are a couple of threads over on TuDiabetes pertaining to Viacyte that may have some additional links. I am very excited and hopeful about all this. I believe one or two pharmaceutical companies have recently partnered with Viacyte, which makes me even more hopeful...

4. Nicole N

Nicole N Approved members

I think the race for this type of device is definitely helping us! I love to see the companies competing. There are several organizations working on it.

5. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

I found this interview with the CEO of Viacyte on YouTube talking about the trial dated 1/31/2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgjsoKPkUiw

So if you watch the video you will discover that in the trials that are currently underway they are not implanting a full sized VC-01 device. They are using a smaller device, called a sentinel, which is only as large as your thumbnail. They implant one or more devices Into the volunteers (who I am eternally grateful for) and they leave them in for a length of time. A single sentinel sized device is not large enough to hold enough cells to provide a therapeutic benefit to an adult. The device(s) are then removed at different time intervals measured in weeks. They then see how the cells within the device are doing in terms of vascularization, differentiation, and their ability to multiply, and whether they are producing insulin.

They then seem to be using the results from one patient before they go to the next and each patient is getting more sentinels, for longer periods of time.

As they have progressed the later patients have some of the sentinels implanted for 12 weeks and according to the interview those devices now have cells that survived and produced insulin. The video did not mention any adverse affects for the patients beyond events associated with surgery. This is without immunosuppressive drugs. They did not say how much insulin was produced but they deemed the results "very promising".

The results were disclosed at an investors conference a few weeks ago, and not in any journal or peer reviewed paper. The results were good enough for J&J to continue their relationship with Viacyte.

Viacyte is planning to continue the trials with therapeutic doses in 2016.

It's not mice. It's people. It sounds like real methodical science.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  6. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Yes, this is the real thing. And I am hopeful for the first time. I still have my doubts that there will be a true "cure" during my daughter's lifetime (I very much hope that I am wrong on this point.) But a fully functional ViaCyte encapsulated device (or devices) will be close enough to a cure to be good enough for me!

7. sparty87

https://www.ipscell.com/2015/03/viacyte/

Back in March of last year, Paul Laikin spoke about the trial and the EN250 vs EN20 (sentinel).... The Patient will have both devices implanted, but the EN20s will be periodically removed for examination. It was always expected that the devices will not have a full therapeutic dose of cells in the first cohort.

I, like everyone else, want to know all sorts of details of the devices implanted early last year..... Was the scar/fibrotic capsule surrounding the device be an issue (as Doug Melton cautioned) ; What was the yield of beta cell for a given dose of precursor cell; Was the derived beta cells as insulin sensitive as native beta cells, etc etc... But as sszyszkiewicz notes, nothing can be found on the internet.

8. sparty87

Not sure if others have viewed Paul Laikind's cell gene talk from Oct.

http://viacyte.com/news-events-2/videos/

I never realize Viacyte was working on a non-encapsulated product(PEC-Direct) No news on the PEC-Encap trials, other than "making great progress".

While PEC-Direct is huge scientific advancement, growing beta cells, lifetime immune suppression is a deal breaker for me. I wonder if one should read between the lines that there are some complications with encapsulation.

9. samson

samson Approved members

My guess is that the encapsulation devices eventually get clogged and stop producing as much insulin, which would mean you'd have to explant them eventually. PEC-Direct is also probably about capturing more marketshare for patients who are already taking immune-suppressing drugs for kidney/pancreas transplant. I would guess serious complications (other than infection) are no more likely with encapsulation than with directly implanted cells.