advertisement

Very scared!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bex, Feb 3, 2006.

1. bex

bex Approved members

My daughter (3 and half) has been diagnosed about a week; boy what an up and down week! Think I have gone through every emotion going - wondered if there were any suggestions about how to make injections ok(!) my daughter has a real problem - understandable - of having them; does anyone know any good tricks to use?:)

2. pookas

pookas Approved members

My son, Hunter, 5 yrs old, was just dx'd in November and the first month was very hard. They don't understand what is going on and why you have to poke them so much. I went through the same emotions as many of us have. The whole first week in the hospital I was strong for him and didn't show that I was scared, frustrated or just sad. It was the Sunday after he was out of the hospital and I had to take him to the ER for stomach pain. They had to poke him again for blood tests. It was 9pm and he was really tired and slept the whole time we were there waiting for results [it turned out to be a stomach virus]. Anyway, while I sat there just looking at him sleeping so peacefully, it just all came bursting out of me!! I cried hard for at least an hour [while he slept]. The doctor came in finally and saw what a mess I was and gave me words of encouragement. It helped, but sometimes if I'm talking to someone about his D, I start to tear up. My best words for you are educate yourself as much as possible. Be strong for your daughter and everytime you have to test her BG, or give her an insulin shot give her lots of love and hugs and tell her how good she is. Soon, she will learn to accept it [yes, even at her young age]. They told me it would get easier and I didn't believe them. Now, it's routine and it's only been 3 months. You can hate Diabetes as much as you want, it's normal. I will always be hating it, but we deal w/ it as you are. Just be sure to give lots of hugs and kisses and it will soon get better. I had to sit on Hunter the first 3 weeks to check BG or give insulin, but I kept reminding him that I will do whatever I have to to keep him healthy. One trick we use is cartoon band-aids. I buy at least 6 boxes every 2 weeks and he gets to pick a band-aid for every check and shot. It gives him a little control and it's kind of like a reward. I also bought a great big book of stickers and a sticker book and he would pick a sticker for every poke each day. Hang in there. I promise, it will get easier. And the more you know, the less scared you will be. HUGS!

Linda-[NEPA]-Mom to:
    Hunter, 5 yrs, dx'd 11/14/05 type I
    Colby, 6 yrs, migraines

3. Mojo's mommy

Mojo's mommy Approved members

I can totally relate

Courtney was diagnosed 1 year ago and what made it an easier transition for her was a topical numbing cream applied to her arm or leg , that is where she prefers her injections. It only has to be on for about 3 minutes to work and she did not feel them at all.

It was a wonderful way for her to get used to it. They did not offer it to us in hospital , it was actually a pharmacist that offered it to my husband when we were initially getting her supplies. It is called Dermablock , they mixed it up for us.

Now Courtney does not even use it , and that was her own decision It does get easier , I know it is hard to see that now but it will.

Teri

4. AmberO

AmberO Approved members

My daughter uses the untethered method of the pump and so still has a dose of lantus in the evenings. We use something called Inject Ease. We had just about a few months before she went to the pump. It made an amazing difference. She was diagnosed at 2yrs 4 months and I wish we had known about this device back then. I know what you are going through. Injections were a huge struggle for us and were up until my mom was able to get an inject ease to me! My ped suggested stickers in a bowl and those worked for awhile until the novelty of stickers wore off.

I know that there was a little debate about the impact of using a shotblocker or inject ease and weaning off it later in life, but honestly we have to pick and choose our battles and if we can minimize the trauma of just the fact of an injection in little ones, I'm all for inject ease, shotblocker and whatever else they come up with!

5. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

6. Jana

Jana Approved members

Hugs

I'm VERY new here, but I wanted to tell you what has worked for my family :) .

My son was just 16 months when he was dx'd 7 months ago. At first, he was terrified of the needles. However, before each shot, my husband and I would calmly explain to him that he needed his medicine. We gave him lots of hugs and encouragement as well. I think that one of the most important things is to stay in control of yourself. Don't let your daughter see you upset by the situation and never appoligize for having to give her her insulin or test her blood. Esspecially during the early months, my husband and I would trade off when one of us was having a hard time. We still do. We always do our best to leave the room if we need to cry because we want Gabriel to grow up knowing that he can manage his Diabetes...not that it's something that really upset and scares Mom and Dad. Gabriel does good with his shots now. He has gotten used to them, and life is more normal. Of course...now I kinda wish I would have found this site a long time ago. The numbing creams and ice sound like great ideas as well.

I hope you can find something to help you and your daughter. Take care of yourself.

7. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

When my son was diagnosed at 3 years 10 months, it was literally a wrestling match to give him a shot. For six weeks, we did the shot as quickly as possible with one parent holding him in a hold where he could not move at all and the other giving the shot. It was over in 20 seconds. We used an inject ease device to have it go more quickly. Then I was able to distract him while giving the shot by him looking at a picture, and then later by holding him in my lap and reading to him. Now, 8 years later, he does all his injections himself and has for a couple of years.

8. 4blondies

4blondies Approved members

My son was just dx'd on 1/5/06 and we had just started insulin injections a week after that. He's actually been great about them so far. He's 5 1/2yrs old. What we've done with him is had a sit down with the endocrinologist and talked about what we were doing and why. He completely understands what is going on with him and why we have to do what we do. Right now he's on a trial basis with his insulin injections. He only has one dose of the fast acting insulin Novolog because even though he was dx'd with Type 1 we're finding that his body is still making some insulin (just not enough). His endocrinologist prescribed for him a 8cm long 30 gage needle and he says that it hurts less than his finger sticks! I know this won't work for the younger ones because they aren't capable of understanding what is going on. We were upfront with my son from the beginning and he understands that having the insulin actually makes him feel better :) and if he doesn't take it he won't feel good (when his sugar gets high he feels just aweful and he doesn't like it). GL :)

9. katie

katie New Member

Injection Time

Hello

My son Rocco was dx on 03.01.06 his only 2.5 yrs old and at the minute we are going hell his only recently started to have big issue with the injections. We always tell him we are going to inject and why we are doing it we have also made a star chart and every time he has an injection we put a star sticker on the chart. After 5 stars he receives a £1.00 to spend. We have also been ref to a play theropist to come out to see Rocco whom will play with him but it will be around injections.
    I am so pleased to hear about the numb cream which i will mention to the diabetic nurse. I know its a traumatic time as we are still feeling it but try to stick with it. Good Luck

10. kittycatgirl

kittycatgirl Approved members

My daughters idea

Hello, my daughter just read your question and she wanted me to write you back. She looks away and talks to me about something. She actually started telling me she loves me when I give her the shot. It is very cute.:eek: That was from her. She is 11 and just diagnosed. You could some how make it a game. Be creative and make it a silly thing. 3 is very different then 11 but try to be silly and make it the same silly thing each time. Maybe she can come up with something funny to say. Just an idea, hope it helps.;)

11. mischloss

mischloss Approved members

:) My son is 10 and dx'ed 9/06/05. Seems like a lifetime for us! We also bought the shotblocker and it has been a god sent for his thighs. He was okay with arms but those legs of his are pure muscle from tennis and it was very hard to find a soft spot (fatty area) to inject into. He distracts himself by watching a funny show or cartoon on TV while doing his shots! American Idol works right now too. LOL :D

12. gyorkos

gyorkos Approved members

My daughter coughs at the same time I give her shot. She claims she can't feel it. My boss actually gave her the idea, and I thought it was crazy, but it seems to work for her. But she is 8 yrs old, so I don't know how that would work with a little one.

13. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

bex

hang in there it will get better.. my daugher was dx age 3 ( almost 4). here is what we did.. all suggestions from a child life specialest at phoenix childrens hospital( pch) that helps charlize any time she is having difficulites adjusting and some my ideas too.

1. we explained to her in kids terms what was going on

2. let them make some decisions, it will make them feels somewhat in controle of what is goin on with there bodys.. for example chalize loves bandaids so for the first 6 months or so we where making weekly trips to walmart or where ever and letting her pick what she wanted. we used the bandaids for as long as she wanted. i let her pick what medical alert she wanted and so on.

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_06_700.htm ( list of medical alerts)
    3. we will let her give her stuffed animals a shot or a finger poke.. pch actually gave her a plain looking doll let her color it and gave her a bag filled with syring ( no needle) and finger wipes adn just medical stuff for her to practice. This is now her favorate way to cope..id say about 85% of her dolls and stuffed animals all have diabetes and she says the rest are just for support. (lol)

4 also there are books like
    Cooking Up Fun For Kids With Diabetes
    Lara Takes Charge (you can get this free frm animas diabetic pump company)
    even little kids get diabetes
    rufus comes home, rufus the bear with diabetes
    Trick-or-Treat for Diabetes

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_06_a00.htm ( good list of books )

hope some of this helps
    please email me if you have any questions or need more ideas

zimbie45@cwdmail.com

Chandra
    mom to charlize age 5 dx age 3 1-4-05 t1
    sean sean age 2 non -d

14. delvec

delvec Approved members

Rufus worked for us-
    We explained to him the Rufus needed a shot too and would let christopher help give Rufus the shot- once he noticed that Rufus didnt cry he stopped too.

15. Mik's Mom

Mik's Mom Approved members

My daughter was diagnosed in May/2005 at age 6. The first few days were really hard. My daughter loves bugs, snakes, etc..but she hated shots. It took 4 people to give her that first insulin shot at the endo's office. It was horrible.

We explained to her, that she needed the insulin shots to help her feel better and even though she was only 6, she seemed to understand this. I also think she was more afraid of the needle than the pain from the shot itself.

Once she had a couple of shots and realized that it didn't hurt as badly as she thought it would, she became a real trouper about getting her shots. It has been 9 months and she now helps draw up the insulin dose, picks the injection site and doesn't mind the shots at all anymore. She doesn't like getting 4 shots a day, but she knows she needs them and I am truly amazed by her attitude and strength.

The one thing we do to take the sting out, it to make sure the insulin is room temperature. We take it out of the frig about 20 mins before her injection and she says it helps.

We were given a prescription for the Novopen JR last week and will try it out this week. I have heard mixed reviews about it, but it does seem like it will be easier to use.

Good Luck!:)