- advertisement -

very concerned about thread in Teen forum

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wilf, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diet Dr. Pepper

Diet Dr. Pepper Approved members

Yeah apparently. I can't even be a "normal diabetic". ugh, lol.

2. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

I think you are barking up the wrong tree here.

3. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

yep, you have a point.

I am glad you are okay Kassie. Gosh, if my son went without his pump for even more than a few hours he would not be okay.

I think that is why the situation was interpreted as an emergency and cause to contact someone to help you.

If they knew your mom, I am sure they would have probably just given her a call to let her know. The only reason anyone contacted anyone regarding you was because these people care a great deal and they had no way to make contact with your family or you. I believe you when you when you say that you were not suicidal. I think that sometimes young adults make decisions without truly knowing how dangerous they are - the reaction of one or a few members of this forum could have really saved you or may save someone in the future. I hope that if someone is in need in the future the same courageous people will be around to do their best to make sure that person is safe.

I think you should keep posting and feel comfortable knowing that you have a great deal of people who care a great deal about you! :) I also think that members who disagree with the actions of one or more people related to this issue should take comfort in the fact that we may not all see eye to eye but as long as our intentions are good-hearted we should move on as a strong support for each other.

This situation makes me think of the time, at the beginning of the school year when my son got off the middle-school/high-school bus and was looking down at the street as he went across a high speed road in front of the bus. He assumed it was safe to cross because the elderly substitute busdriver told them all (high-schoolers and middle-schoolers) that it was 'okay'. What was not okay was that an ambulance was following behind the bus for quite a while (I heard the sirens before I even saw the bus) and the bus didn't pull over. So, here is my son looking at the street and here is the ambulance, now in the oncoming traffic lane trying to get past this bus. Sirens on, lights flashing, that busdriver let those kids out and told them to cross - regardless of this ambulance.

I was hesitant to scream out because I didn't know, in that brief time that I had to evaluate the situation, if I was jumping the gun, being out of line, would embarrass my son - etc. It was clear that she let them all out to cross regardless of this ambulance. I decided to do what I thought was right and screamed out for my son to stop. I am not quite sure, because I cannot predict what would have happened but that ambulance was coming toward this group of kids, on the oncoming lane passing the bus - I may have saved all of their lives. My son was embarrassed and I explained myself to the highschoolers - they all actually understood why I yelled and they have been so kind to me ever since.

I did find out the ambulance driver's perspective b/c this lady who has a child in elementary school was taken by ambulance, that night, for high blood pressure issues. She had the same drivers that were passing the bus and they said that they did not realize that the busdriver had let the kids out, regardless of the sirens, lights and attempt to pass. They realized when a parent screamed for the kids to stop.

What I am trying to say is that the person who contacted your doctor was in a conflict like that - to call and maybe cause you embarrassment and risk conflict or to take the chance that you may not make it and she chose the more difficult, risky option but with only the kindest intentions. Try to think of that as you go through this - :)

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Type 1 B diabetes is also referred to as idiopathic diabetes, or diabetes of unknown origin. This form of type 1 diabetes is not autoimmune in nature, and tests for islet cell antibodies will come up negative. People with type 1 B have an insulin deficiency and can experience ketoacidosis (a high blood sugar emergency), but their need for insulin injections typically waxes and wanes over time. Patients of African, Hispanic, or Asian descent are more likely to develop type 1 B diabetes.

This is some info about type 1B diabetes. I dont know much about this as Steven has type 1A or im pretty sure he does as he needs insulin everday or would rapidly go into DKA without it. but for people with type 1B it seems like they may not need insulin daily to keep from going into DKA.

5. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

Johnny has 'idiopathic' diabetes because they cannot find the reason/he tests negative for all antibodies that they know to test for. His insulin needs are stable. When you say 'waxes and wanes over time' - are you saying after years of having it it requires less insulin or are you saying that insulin needs very from day to day?

Just curious about this.

6. Meghan'smom

Meghan'smom Approved members

Wilf I applaud you and all the others that got involved. You did a great thing. I am so thankful for people like you. It gives me faith in the human race.

7. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

This is all incredibly amazing....lots to learn from this thread. I am also glad that you are ok. I am also sorry as I was one that jumped to conclusions from what others were saying. I also find it quite amazing that your blood sugars didn't skyrocket.

I think one of the lessons to be learned is that there are still really caring people in this world, because far too many people don't want to get involved or turn their back on what is happening around them. So, I think that if all of us take a step back and look at this as a learning experience..including Cassie....then we have been productive. Cassie, I don't think that you should stop posting, just remember that a lot of people read what you post, and I think it has been said before ...proof what you write. This is an invaluable resource for parents and people living with the disease. I have a very young child with D. I worry about the burnout from this disease. I think it is important for you to continue to post as you are also helping us (parents). Sorry, this is mumble jumble and I have proofed it ...I just wanted to share my thoughts.

8. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

You are assuming no one has spoken with her privately.

As for the actions of the responsible, caring adults on this board, I think privacy would be cold comfort to a grieving mother or a seriously sick young person i things had gone the other way and no one had taken the time or made the effort to see that she was being looked out for. One of the elements of a community is to take action to care for its members.

Rather than berating people for doing what they believed was right, a more positive approach might be to have a discussion about how a community might handle this kind of situation in the future.

Kassie I am glad you are okay and I hope you can understand that people made this effort because they care about you.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  9. Becky Stevens mom

Actually im speaking to Kassie in the chatroom right now. Shes a very nice young lady and I have apologised to her several times. But i am a Mother first in this life and I cant apologise for worrying about her as she is someones child.

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

This has got to be THE MOST dysfunctional thread I have ever encountered on CWD.

11. KarenRI

KarenRI Approved members

Perfectly stated and well said.

12. Sarah Maddie's Mom

NO ONE suggested turning a blind eye or turning their back but CALLING HER PRIVATE DR? That was way out of line. I don't care how you or anyone else parses it - it was outrageous.

13. FeeferGross

FeeferGross Approved members

my thoughts exactly.

14. Becky Stevens mom

Hmmm before everyone judges everyone else, why not come in the chat and talk to Kassie yourselves.

15. FeeferGross

Didn't know us "young adults" were allowed in chat with you big kids

16. Diet Dr. Pepper

of course we are! lol.. well.. I think.. I mean we're allowed in the parents forums, why not the parent's chat?

17. Sarah Maddie's Mom

I really hope that wasn't directed at me.

18. FeeferGross

I don't quite understand it, we weren't judging Kassie at all, but the actions of most of the parents involved in this.

19. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

What would you have wanted to have happen if this had been your daughter?
    I hope for your sake the health of your child is never dependent on the goodwill of strangers who choose not to get involved because privacy is more important.

20. Diet Dr. Pepper

Can everybody please just stop criticizing everybody else? It's not right and it's getting us nowhere...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.