- advertisement -

very concerned about thread in Teen forum

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wilf, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

Actually, she posted on the 15th so if she just posted, it would have been 6 or 7 days unless she reinserted the pump earlier. Maybe she was misdiagnosed? I'd like to give her the benefit of the doubt but then Im a trusting person. Maybe too trusting huh? :eek:

2. Diet Dr. Pepper

Diet Dr. Pepper Approved members

Actually considering I just put a new site in today and everything, it was more like 8/9 days. But who's counting?

Edit: I'm fine. Thanks for worrying and/or being concerned, but I don't really feel it was needed.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  3. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

We are, lol. You went 8/9 days w/o insulin and your bg never went above 300 and no ketones? Seriously, is it possible you were misdiagnosed or is it something else.

And I do hope that you didnt take our concern the wrong way. We're parents. Its natural for us to worry about kids - and not just our own. With a post like yours, our instincts kicked in. Either way, we're glad you're ok.

Really?? You post that your taking out your site, your not feeling all that great both physically and mentally and then you dont post for a week. You think there was no reason for concern? Then why did you post what you did? What response were you expecting or thought you would get? I really am glad that you're ok but now Im getting a little confused over this entire issue. And I think its time I walk away from this thread.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  4. Diet Dr. Pepper

Yeah. I do appreciate everybody's concern. What I don't appreciate is people jumping to conclusions saying this was a 'cry for help' that I am 'suicidal' and invading my privacy by telling my doctor. I also do not appreciate the fact that I'm being called a liar. Because I am not lying. I have never lied about anything I've posted on CWD. After two days without insulin, I WAS 164. Today after however many days I went, right before I put a site in, I WAS 270. Which is under 300. No, I DIDN'T have ketones. Why? Heck if I know. I hardly ever have ketones, even when I'm sick. I didn't have ketones when I was diagnosed, and I don't have ketones now. Heck, I was only 260 when I was diagnosed. After I was diagnosed, I went for 4 1/2 years with only taking 1-2 shots of lantus a day, never taking fast-acting insulin. My senior year they put me on novolog with the lantus, and that was because suddenly my BS was rarely under 500. The day I got started on the pump, I went back down to 'normal' bs numbers. Don't ask me why my diabetes is so weird and so much different than others (because apparently it is?) but don't accuse me of lying either. Please.

5. susan

susan Approved members

When you post something on a public forum unfortunately it is no longer private..

6. Diet Dr. Pepper

Okay, fine. I guess I shouldn't post anything else on cwd.

7. susan

susan Approved members

I wouldn't post anything that you didn't want us knowing..

8. FeeferGross

FeeferGross Approved members

Or you guys can wait until she replies before calling her doctor, and making assumptions. Both work.

9. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Kassie I'm sure there are some lessons in this for us to learn, but the bottom line is we were incredibly scared and were concerned for you. We deeply care. I hope you can you see and feel that. I'm so sorry you're angry.

10. Diet Dr. Pepper

Well did y'all really have to call my endo? Really? I mean, I'm nervous enough around her anyways. Now I can't even let my mom go in with me anymore, because if I do, she'll find out things that she does not need to know. Thanks.

11. FeeferGross

FeeferGross Approved members

I agree, calling endo was completely out of line and wrong.
    She was asking for advice on her thread, not for you guys to call her freaking endo, seriously.

12. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

I'm very late in this whole thing-y here. But, I think it would be a smart idea to talk with your endo about your "experiment" and the results. Mom should hear it too. You really may have a 1B or MODY dx, and this might help them figure that out and find better ways (less burn-out inducing, anyway) for you to try and manage your D.

I think your whole thread was started because your were sort of surprised yourself at what was happening with your numbers without the pump. So, I think this is actually a great discussion to have with the endo and Mom. You can laugh-off the stuff that led to the call, but talk about the experiment you did just the same.

Good luck, sorry you are feeling mad.

13. Diet Dr. Pepper

I've already been tested for MODY, a couple years ago before I was put on fast-acting insulin. They said I didn't have it...

14. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

Well, there's always YDMV as an explanation, it seems to cover a lot of confusing D situations. Take care of yourself, and try to feel good knowing that there's this big mob of parents on here that cared a lot about your safety, even if you are not pleased with exactly how they went about it.

15. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I can't believe that not one person has apologized to Kassie - either for invading her privacy and possibly damaging her relationship with her Endo or for then accusing her of not really having D. Amazing...

16. Scribe

Scribe Approved members

incredibly scared? really? based on what? the original post contained no red flags as far as i'm concerned.
    the only reason people got alarmed was by jumping to incredible -- and unfounded -- conclusions. i would advise kassie to stop posting.
    her privacy was absolutely violated and the actions were reckless. suggesting that she gave license to the behavior by posting in the first place is ridiculous.
    there is only one lesson to be learned here -- that the reaction was out of bounds and inappropriate; that calling her doctor cannot be defended and that if this board is to be effective, this should not happen again.

17. Diet Dr. Pepper

Thank you Sarah and Scribe, and anybody else who stood up for me. I do have a question though: Exactly what gave you the idea that I was suicidal? I mean really. That's just ridiculous.

18. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Kassie,

Sorry for what happened here, and sorry most of all that you have D.
    Although we care for our kids who have D, most of us (with the exception
    of a few parents here with T1) can not really understand what you go through.

P.S. if you want this thread to go away, you can send a PM to Jeff and ask
    that he remove it.

19. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

What the heck? Look I didn't call the endo or anything. I posted that I cared and that if she was experiencing burn out which she posted that maybe she could seek out some help. She posted she'd been without insulin for 2 days and hadn't tested for 2 days, and then feeling horrible physically and confused. This is scary to me!

Again, I called no one and did nothing to invade her privacy - I posted support. This is really sad here. I'm done.

20. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Because when type 1s go without insulin, they die. Except you, apparently. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.