advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

very aggressive behavior

Discussion in 'Stickies' started by fredandted, Sep 8, 2011.

1. fredandted

fredandted New Member

Just after a bit of advice My daughter has had type 1 for two years now she is 12. Throught we were doing well but over the last month she has been very aggressive just goes into one and no way you can get her to calm down, it can be over the smallest thing.

My problem is is it thats she is of that age or could it be the diabetes. Its inpossible to check bsl. I can see long term this being a major problem as its causing problems with my son the way she is

Has anyone had this with their children as i dont now what to do. Ive spoken in the past to the doctor that she can be aggressive when her bsl is high but no advice or anything has been given. Just cant cope with this me and the wife at our witts end:confused:

Sorry think ive posted in the wrong place cant move it

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  2. djyoungberg

djyoungberg New Member

I'm sure there are many factors affecting your daughters behaviors, and I don't have any experience in pre-teen girls. But my wife and I have found great insight into dealing with our sons aggressive/explosive behavior from Dr Ross Greene.

I recommend his book: "The Explosive Child: A New Approach for Understanding and Parenting Easily Frustrated, "Chronically Inflexible" Children"

Or his website: http://www.livesinthebalance.org/

He takes the prospective that children do well if they can do well, and he gives many practical insights in how to work with the child.

My son was diagnosed with Diabetes in January during 1st grade. We were having extreme problems with his behaviors at school and at home. We used Dr Ross Greene's approach at home and discussed several principles from his book with the school which helped us all work with him in a positive way. He is much more stable now that his diabetes is under control, but we still have struggles with him and find he is worse when his bsl are not under control. We feel significantly more able to deal with him and help him because of what we have learned from Ross Greene.

Good luck!

3. MochisMama

MochisMama New Member

My husband and I are right in the middle of the same situation, only our son is just 6. His levelof anger and aggression are amazing We spoke to a hospital social worker who referred us to a Psychologist. The psychologist only treats children with chronic illness. We just recently went in for the first consultation but it seems to be promising. Hang in there with your daughter and remember how much you all love each other.

4. SandiT

SandiT Approved members

I was going to say what Mochismama said.

Talk to a hospital social worker. Get help. Real help.

I tend to be quite on the side of preferring not to deal with allopathy whenever possible. That's just where I'm coming from. But there are some times, some ways, and some things that you really need them for. Diabetes, as we all know, is one.

A great many mental illnesses require assistance that only certain drugs can give, too.

But at the end of the day, whether she needs a mood stabilizer or not, you ALL need counseling together to learn how to get past/through this. Don't wait until you're all so frazzled and horrified that you end up divorced or with an otherwise broken family.

The time to be proactive and seek help is right now. Don't jump straight for drugs, but definitely go to the hospital, ask to talk to the social worker until you get to, and then ask for help for your family until you get it.

You don't have to live like this forever. Nor do you have to shrug it off as "age" or whatever.

Let someone help you. If your kid didn't have diabetes, you would STILL have the right to ask for help dealing with a child when you're overwhelmed. Just the age, or just the diabetes, or just because she's allergic to flufferpiffersniffledoodles... doesn't matter. If you need help coping and finding the problem, you need help.

Putting it off is not good for any of you, so don't do it.

5. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

Just wanted to point out that the original post about this was in Sep 2011. Not clear what happened to the young lady.

6. Ronin1966

Ronin1966 Approved members

Hello Brenda:

Entirely true, the original poster may not be around, but the topic is significant. Many encounter VERY primal behavior with their diabetics, whether generated by lows/highs. Toss in the "mental health" aspect and its definitely worthy to keep alive... :cool: