- advertisement -

Verio IQ and/or Verio Sync

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by minniem, Mar 2, 2014.

1. minniem

minniem Approved members

Hi All,

We are contemplating changing meters/strips after the big Freestyle/Omnipod debacle. Currently, my son uses Omnipod (no problems there with the pump itself) and was using the built in meter. We are considering changing to the One Touch Verio IQ or the Verio Sync, but wanted to see others opinions who have used them.

I do think since switching to Omnipod his A1C has been about 0.5% higher than it was prior. I was attributing this to growth and hormones, but maybe it was just the Omnipod reading erroneously?

So if you use the Verio IQ or Verio Sync...what are the pros/cons?

Thanks!

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

3. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I switched from Freestyle meters to the Verio IQ and I am very happy with them.

Pros:
    Awesome color screen
    Easy to scroll through past results
    Doesn't time out if you put a strip in and don't add blood right away
    Very easy to see averages over 7 days, 14 days, 30 days, 90 days
    Great strip light for night testing that lights up automatically
    Easy to navigate the different screens and set date/time etc.
    Great accuracy in comparison to lab results in my experience

Cons:
    Needs to be charged every 5-7 days
    Battery life could be a lot better
    Can't add more blood to strip if needed
    Needs a tiny bit more blood than freestyle

Hope that helps! I have never been a big onetouch fan but I am very pleased with the verio meter. I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have :)

4. swellman

swellman Approved members

We switched a while back during the first Freestyle debacle, not because of the problems but because we switched insurance and the Verio IQ is $10 per 1,100, and we've never looked back. We love the accuracy, the light and the fact it can be charged with any USB charger. There's really no cons in my opinion other that it does need charged but that's a nit IMO. We have countless other devices that needs charged so one more is no issue. It's small enough that it fits in with the same kit, from Insulet, as the PDM. We saw a 1% decrease with the change that I'm certain was because of low readings on the PDM.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

I'm loathe to buy a meter, and our CDE didn't have any to give up, has anyone found any good rebate links?

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We have one NIB that we got with our t:slim. I will send it to you. :)

7. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We just used the Verio IQ for two months and didn't like it at all. We're now using Aviva again. We couldn't get consistent readings on the Verio. I know others really like it, but we would periodically do two back-to-back tests and regularly got numbers 30 points or more apart. That's almost 0.5 unit based on my daughter's ISF. The worst reading was a 56 and 100 on the same blood drop. Major difference in how we treat those two numbers!! (I want a decent eye-rollie.) My daughter dubbed it the "Variable IQ".

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

That would be groovy :) Thanks!

9. swellman

They were throwing them away like trinkets at Mardi Gras at the last JDRF walk. I'm sure your endo can get a free one.

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

She must have been tossing them around like beads too cause last week she was out ;-) If we love it, I suppose I can ask her to hold one back next time. And I have a bunch of freestyle strips to contend with...

11. andiej

andiej Approved members

Over the last couple of months we have been lucky to be given quite a few different meters. We have tested the Verio iq. roche accu chek combo, freestyle lite, Freestyle Optium (i think it's the xceed in the us) and insulinx. We like the fact that the verio iq only uses a small amount of blood compared to most other meters, don't like the charger aspect and it seemed to read v.high in my opinion. We have decided after test driving them all that for us the Insulinx is far and away the best meter, it uses the freestyle lite strips which take an even smaller amount of blood than the verio, it seems to read v accurately he feels low when the meter says he low unlike some of the meters we have used. When we tested all 4 meters at once, the freestle lite gave the lowest reading, followed by the Roche,then the Insulinx, then freestyle optium, then the Verio. So we also like the fact that the insulinx was in the middle. We liked the verio colour screen but the buttons didn't seem that user friendly but would have got used to that i'm sure, in the UK the Insulinx also has a bolus wizard though we don't really use it, i like that the verio will show you meal time patterns. Like i say both my son and I prefer the insulinx the Roche is a great meter but needs to much blood compared to the other 2. Hope that helps.

12. swellman

To the bolded ... wait, what? Compatibility. Is there a different compatibility matrix outside the US?

13. andiej

andiej Approved members

14. swellman