- advertisement -

Venting about uninformed people!!!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by snugbug717, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

If I may, I think this is at the root of the problem. It's just not wise to discuss the food choices of toddlers or kids or teens with anyone lest you want to be open to other folk's opinions of said food, regardless of whether the kid in question has Type 1. But particularly in our Type 1 kids, due to the avalanche of misinformation about the disease, discussing what a child eats is like waving a red flag in front of a bull. People, for reasons I.do.not.understand. feel that "diabetes" is the one disease about which they have something to say. Best way to avoid hearing ignorant comments is to limit discussion of all things related to D to the close friends and family who won't misunderstand. Sad, but I think true.

2. SuzanneE

SuzanneE Approved members

I recently encountered stunning ignorance (if not malice) with a Blue Cross Blue Shield customer service representative. I called to confirm our coverage for a pump. To my mind, the answer was going to be something along these lines: 80% under pharmacy, or 100% under durable medical device. Or some such.

Instead, I was told it depended on how serious my daughter's diabetes was. If it was the "bad" kind, like that which plagued this rep's father (he's lost a limb and is now waiting for a kidney and will die if he doesn't get one), it *might* be covered. I wish I had stopped her from going on but I couldn't. In the moment I felt paralyzed with shock. Who the heck says stuff like this?

It really bothered me. After awhile, I realized why. It frightened me to encounter someone whose job it is to know better who clearly didn't. It underscored for me the fact that we are often alone on this path with our kids.

All to say, I understand your upset and am sorry you've encountered such ignorance. It takes awhile to build up the thick skin (we're on year six) but even still, every once and awhile, some oaf is going to break through and annoy the hell out of you. I find chicken nuggets help. A lot :)

3. jtolpin

jtolpin Approved members

misinformed people dont bother me anymore...

When someone says 'Oh yeah, Im lactose intolerant', I usually just let it roll... If they persist, I explain that my child could die. Changes things :/

4. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

a coworker told my mother in law she "gets it" because her daughter is lactose intolerant. I told my friend and she cracked me up, she said "next time, ask her if she has to check to make sure there's not a bottle of milk in her kids bed at 2 am":p

5. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

Nice one! A co-worker told me he understood what we were going through because his cat had diabetes:cwds:

6. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I saw the same thing yesterday on another message board when a mother announced that her child had just been diagnosed! I thought it was a terrible joke, but apparently some people think that the two are comparable!

7. akgiauque

akgiauque Approved members

Not that it will make you feel better but you are facing something we all notice from time to time. Sometimes it is strangers, which hurts but frequently it is our closest friends and family (hurts the most) that exhibit a degree of stupidity when referencing diabetes. I remind my wife of this with the following quoates.

"You Can't Fix Stupid" Ron White

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity" Robert A. Heinlein

"illigitimus non carborundum" Latin phrase meaning... well you can look it up for a laugh!

8. lynn

lynn Approved members

Nathan was diagnosed when he was two years old. The first time my sil saw him after diagnosis (she hadn't seen him in many months before that) she asked me how I got such a young kid to lose weight. I couldn't come up with words.

The first thing my dad said after hearing about the diagnosis is that he knew something like that would happen because of all the candy I let him eat. I swear HE was the one to give him almost every single piece he had eaten up until that time!

About the lactose intolerance: I have a friend who has a daughter with diabetes. Her daughter was diagnosed a couple of years before Nathan. I have a daughter who was VERY allergic to milk when she was younger and that made cooking somewhat stressful at times. I remember her telling me that she would take diabetes in her daughter over a milk allergy. I did rejoice when my daughter grew out of her allergy, but I would still take it over diabetes any day!