- advertisement -

Venting about uninformed people!!!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by snugbug717, Nov 12, 2011.

1. snugbug717

snugbug717 New Member

Hi I needed to vent to someone and I figured this was the best place because there are hopefully so many of you that can understand my frustration! My 22 month old daughter has Type 1 diabetes and one of her new favorite low carb foods is chicken nuggets. My husband was recently telling some of his coworkers about how much she loves chicken nuggets and at the time they said nothing to his face, but he was later approached by another coworker saying that she overheard his other coworkers talking about how horrible it was that we are feeding our child chicken nuggets and that is probably why she is obese (which she is not) has diabetes!!! My husband has tried to explain the difference between type 1 and type 2 in the past to these coworkers but they just can't seem to see the difference. If anyone has had a similar experience please tell me how to deal with naive people!!!

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Sorry to hear about that. Misinformed or uninformed people do not bother me in the slightest, but it does bother me when people loudly pass judgement on my choices. Informed or not, that is not their job.

I generally find a response like "I am afraid you haven't been correctly informed about diabetes. There is no correlation between development of type 1 diabetes and weight or lifestyle, and my daughter is able to eat a normal, varied diet" is appropriate.

3. sooz

sooz Approved members

Oh wow, I am sorry you are going through this. People are so rude sometimes! Just hold your head high and know that you are doing the best you can for your child. Until they walk in your shoes they will NEVER understand what it is like, especially for such a little one. It always amazes me to see how mean and judgmental people can be. Kids love chicken nuggets, what do they expect her to eat, salmon filets? I am angry and hurt on your behalf. Sometimes I explain the difference between type 1 and 2 by simply saying that type 1 is an auto immune disease and type 2 is a metabolic disorder and that they are totally different, but sometimes it just isn't worth the effort. Try not to let the idiots get you down. :cwds:

4. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

I always say, " I will be sure to discuss this with his doctor at the next appointment." People usually leave me alone at that point, if not, then I have been known to say " I think it is great that you know a little about type 2 diabetes. Let me know when you want to learn about type 1" Then you smile and walk away.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  5. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

I have had to learn to let things roll off my back. I agree a lot of people just dont understand diabetes. I am happy when people ask me what the differnces are.

6. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

Been there, sweetie. As hard as it is, the best thing to do is just to ignore them.

7. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

Sarcasm....Has always worked well for me in those situations:D

8. Taz Monkey

Taz Monkey Approved members

Ugh, people frustrate me. I'm diabetic, and an adult, so this doesn't apply to me, but my baby brother is 4, and non D. I babysit him 1 day a week, and currently have him for a 7 day stretch while my parents are in Florida. This kid loves chicken nuggets. So when he asks for chicken nuggets, he gets them. Who wants to argue with a 4 year old, buy or make food, then have to fight with them to get them to eat it? Last time I checked, chicken was a protein, which is important in all our diets, diabetes or not, and if chicken makes up 95% of his protein intake, will it kill him? No. Yes, he eats veggies (he likes broccoli and thats about it), milk, carbs, and when he wants a treat, he has a treat. People just have no concept of anything, or common sense for that matter.

9. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

We hear things like this all the time too! It comes out especially at school functions when someone will see Connor testing his blood sugar and having a treat. The few times I have been approached I have asked them to explain to me why he shouldn't be eating what he is eating. They usually just blink and stumble over themselves. I will usually tell them he can eat everything anyone else can we just do it with more care. Sometimes I will ask them if they know the difference between type I and II but,usually I leave it at we have things taken care of I'll let you know if I need help with his food choices.

10. snugbug717

snugbug717 New Member

Thank you all so much for you help and support!!! My daughter is newly diagnosed (about 6 months) and we are dealing with many "firsts" and this was the first time we have had to deal with this kind of ignorance and I just needed some advice from more seasoned parents because at the end of the day I want to be able to figure out how to respond and inform people rather than smack them in the face lol.

11. Bigdaddyo

Bigdaddyo New Member

Yes thank you all from the husband we really appreciate all the help!

12. rutgers1

rutgers1 Approved members

I heard a stupid diabetes references on television today in a sit-com. I think it was The New Girl. I wish I could remember the quote, but it was stupid.

13. Melba

Melba Approved members

I think it is something all D parents get at some stage :( The amount of times I have heard comments about Freya eating a sugary treat astonishes me! But I just smile sweetly. Sometimes I will try to explain but othertimes not! Depends on my mood!

Big ((hugs))

14. mitchsmum

mitchsmum New Member

I get annoyed when people look at my son and say "oh hes not fat, why has he got diabetes"... i then start to explain its type 1, not 2 and a blank glazed look goes over their face & they zone out... grrrr.. some people just dont want to know, too happy with their heads in the sand :mad:

15. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Yes it is frustrating even for us adults with D. When I am eating I want to wear a shirt that says "Food doesn't cause diabetes and yes, my doctor said I could eat this."
    It is amazing the things people will say and think they know what causes diabetes. When they bring up the food thing, I tell them to show me one scientific article that cites a study proving that particular food causes diabetes. That usually shuts them up because they can't produce said article or lab report.

16. joan

joan Approved members

My son was diagnosed at 22 months of age and is now 18 and at college. The other day my parents were over and I was talking about the rise in type1 and my parents both said it must be what they are eating that is causing this.

This type of ignorance never seems to go away. It just amazes me how many people try to tell me about diabetes.

17. snugbug717

snugbug717 New Member

I am so sorry to hear that this has happened to so many of you, but it is comforting in a way to know that it's not just me. All of your posts have helped me understand that this is something that I am going to face multiple times as she grows up and I want to thank you for supplying me with awesome responses for ignorant people!

18. HanksDad

HanksDad New Member

This may be the best reply on this topic that I have heard. Sadly, I'm sure I'll be using it soon. :rolleyes:

19. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Love both of these answers!!

20. klostien

klostien Approved members

From what I have experienced over the last 9 months is that you are better off just keeping your diabetic conversations to a limited few.

You can try to explain it but the truth of it is, most people really don't care until it involves them directly. I know this sounds negative, but this is what I have seen. Diabetes is such a complicated disease. I think it takes years to grasp everything about it and then there is still more to learn...

I have had one of my co-workers tell me I should try taking my daughter off the insulin to see what would happen to her numbers because it seems she was better before.