- advertisement -

Vent: Relatives

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by njswede, Aug 9, 2015.

1. njswede

njswede Approved members

My son's great aunt just gave him 68g of uncovered carbs worth of goldfish crackers. "But, there's no sugar in that!".

I know it's just misdirected good intentions, but still. I really had to struggle to keep the expletives from coming out when I explained the situation to her.

Vent over.

2. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Thats just impressive - 34 crackers is like 13 grams!

And, yah. this week I've had a whole lot of the "is there sugar in that" and "can she eat that" this week. Expletives had to be stifled many times…

3. njswede

njswede Approved members

It was a big bag!

4. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

Hope you were able to get things under control!
    After 5+ years, my MIL still does things like this; yesterday she gave him a TON of grapes, but didn't think he needed insulin because "it's natural".

5. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I know what you mean. I still get asked questions like if he can have this or that, almost 6 years in. (The eye dr. Assistant asked if he still had the type 1 diabetes...lol). We live far from most relatives, so I understand that it's not a part of their daily lives. It's easy to get confused between type 1 and 2 when you don't live with it. I don't blame them, but I guess it's just disappointing that they still don't really get it, even after all this time.

It's easier once they can count their own carbs and give themselves insulin for it. It takes away a huge part of the burden of the day-to-day.

6. njswede

njswede Approved members

The whole evening was a struggle against the numbers, but he stayed below 300 for most of it. We're in the first week of pumping and we have our numbers scrutinized. This one is going to be fun to explain! :)

7. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Not much to add to what everyone else has said other than I hear you.

8. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

Unfortunately, my family's in the same group. I get a kick out of my mother's comment when the urgent care doctor told us that my blood sugar was 570-something, and we needed to get to the hospital. Her first response: "She had a big thing of frozen Mountain Dew at Taco Bell. Would that cause her high blood sugar?" She still thinks that I should take insulin whenever I'm low (I don't know whether to laugh or be afraid that she'll inject me with insulin instead of glucagon if I'm really low).

9. njswede

njswede Approved members

I'm a little disappointed in my son, because he knows much better than to accept a big chunk of goldfish. But when you're 7 years old, you probably think that all grown-ups are smarter than you. Obviously not always the case!

10. dpr

dpr Approved members

My 9 year old daughter 4 1/2 into diabetes still has conversations like this,
    Dad I'm hungry can I have some gold fish?
    Me, what's Dex say?
    Her, 342
    Me, so what do think?
    Her, no, but I'm hungry can I have them?
    And if I said yes, she'd eat 30-40 grams or more in a heart beat and then ask for more. So don't be too disappointed. They're still kids, gotta love em' :smile:

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

expect to continue to be periodically disappointed for the next decade or so '-)

What we do? The way we live? Not normal. Our kids are going to periodically, "forget", rebel, ignore, pretend, imagine, reject and defy the rules of life with Type 1. It's normal. If they didn't, I'd worry

12. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

njswede, I just wanted to second Sarah's thoughts. From reading your posts I think you have a good attitude about managing this illness and you seem to "get it". But when you said you were disappointed in your son that he accepted the goldfish, it set off a little flag for me too. I think it is totally understandable to feel disappointed, but my concern would be if you communicated that to him. I'm pretty sure you didn't and I am not telling anyone how to parent their children, it's just an observation.

13. njswede

njswede Approved members

You mean if I gave him a hard time for accepting the gold fish? No, all I did was to tell him that if it happens again and if it feels wrong to him, he should just check with me or mom. Now that he has the pump, all we have to do is to push a few buttons and he can eat what he's offered (99% of the time).

I understand your concern and no offense taken for pointing it out.

14. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

So, njswede, are you guys loving the pump yet?:D

15. njswede

njswede Approved members

Oh yeah! I remote bolused him in his sleep last night. How cool is that?