advertisement

Vacuum recommendations needed

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by nanhsot, Jul 19, 2012.

1. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

My trusty Dyson, that I loved and did not want/need to replace, has a huge crack in it of unknown origin. I'm pretty rough on things so I take responsibility, sure have no clue what happened though. It's a crack that is not repairable, sadly.

I like the Dyson and would prefer a new one, but am having trouble justifying the cost. Anyone have experience with the new roller ball type system Dyson has? Worth the cost? How about the purple/pet version? Does it really work better on pet hair?

I'm also looking at the bagless Hoover, it's a lot cheaper but not sure if the quality is similar.

Taking input on other brands as well, so if you LOVE your vacuum, tell me what you have. I do have indoor pets, I have carpet and slate flooring (hard tile), have stairs, and lots of dirt, so I need reliable, sturdy, and changeable surface options. I prefer bagless but could be convinced otherwise.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I hate my Hoover.. It can suck the carpet off the floor but its big, heavy, clumpy and hard to maneuver (?why can spell check help me with that word?) :(

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Sorry, but I love my Dyson :cwds: I just wish I had gotten the larger one ( it's the "slim") The only thing I don't like are the attachments - I hear that the "pet" one has better attachments but I haven't used it.

I had a Hoover canister that was also a pretty good vac though I think the Dyson just picks up more hair and dirt.

Two dogs, mostly slate tile and hardwoods, a few are rugs, btw and we live in the country so lots of muddy human feet as well ;)

Though Consumer Reports gave this a great rating, Hoover WindTunnel T-Series Rewind Bagless UH70120 higher than the Dyson "Animal" and the Hoover site looks to be having a sale.;)

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Do you have the new style with the ball thing that's supposedly maneuverable more easily? I really DO want the Dyson, but gosh it's so expensive! The Hoover's are 100-200ish, the Dyson 300-600ish (and of course the one I want is 600!).

I'm curious if the roller ball thing is worth it, anyone know? Or is that just a marketing thing to make suckers pay more??

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

No, mine is probably 3 or 4 years old... pre-ball, I think and I can only find it on sale as a used item, so I suspect they don't make it still. Have you tried it? I hate buying something like that without actually touching it and seeing how it maneuvers.

6. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

I love my dyson, but I got a new carpet kind of shag'ish' and the Dyson's high setting wasn't high enough so I got a Hoover pet rewind from Walmart. It was less than $100 and is WONDERFUL. The very best part of the Hoover is that to wind up the cord you step on a button and the cord gets sucked in - silly to be excited about that, but it really is cool!

7. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

We have a Sebo. It's made in Germany. They are pricy, but well worth it as we have hardwood floors and rugs downstairs and carpeting up.

I've also heard that Simplicity, which I believe is an American made product, is good. I think they are sold under another name as well.

8. Liongirl4

Liongirl4 Approved members

Another vote for Dyson..I have two..the smaller orange ball (not sure what model) and the larger purple ball (animal?). I have cats and a dog and long haired people..very happy with how it works and what actually comes out of the rug is kind of shocking!! I even take the smaller one on vacation with me when we do house rentals.

9. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Beam, Central Vac, only way to go, we even vacuum the drier every time we use it, prolongs the life AND gets rid of all the lintdown in the crevices and exhaust.

10. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

I have a Kirby. They cost about the same as a dyson. They do have a bag, but they take a beating and still work great. My mom had one when we're growing up and try as we might that sucker worked so no escaping chores. Her lasted 40 years she only left it behind because they couldnot get part anymore. Mine has now survived my daughter who inherited the try to get out of chores and has not succeeded. I like that it converts to canister for the stairs and all the attachments are great. I vacuum beds together the yuk from them too. There is nothing I cannot vacuum with my Kirby.

11. swellman

swellman Approved members

Dyson Animal (Purple one) - No Ball here. I would try to have it repaired or refurbed. I did call them and ask for a complete seal kit and they supplied that at no charge because I could tell the rubber gaskets weren't making contact and loosing vacuum. I would be hard pressed to get anything else if mine died.

12. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Same here.. I actually have two and I've had them the longest I've ever had *any* vacuum... I think they're going on 8 years each now, with relatively few issues (one of them is sort of broken, but it's the part that switches from the floor to the hose suction, so we just don't use the hose part on that one - and it is fixable, but since I have two, it's a very low priority problem).

I found it hard to justify the cost when I got the first one (I inherited the second after my mom bought a smaller one) but when I realized what I was spending on vacuums and parts and repair over the years, it was easy to realize I was already spending "more" than what the Dyson would cost with it's 5 year warranty.