- advertisement -

Vaccines

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by monkeyschool, Jun 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

I probably would not have drawn a conclusion , but rather approached the endo at the next visit and mentioned that I thought about the timing of the dx and the timing of the vx and said others seem to have similar experiences. Then asked the ped to not do any vx until I had the other two kids tested.

In the least it would give me a possibility for my DDS dx, which right now is still pointing only to electrolyte imbalance due to the high water intake while doing intensive sports.

2. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

No prob:cwds:

3. monkeyschool

This is similar to mine. My DD had not been sick in a very long time, it had been years since she had as little as a tummy ache

D.

4. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

From what I have read here, on the boards, posters have said that Type One could take years to develop.

A few people said that looking back, they thought their kids were experiencing symptoms as babies.

5. monkeyschool

Thank you. Yes. That's exactly what I meant. I am glad someone actually read it like I meant it lol I was starting to feel like i kept wording things incorrectly :)

D.

6. monkeyschool

I heard the same. I wish I'd known she had those markers to make a better assessment.

7. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

I know.... When posters said that their babies had symptoms, I look back, and I do see symptoms.. She was thirsty ALL the time, she ate all the time (never got full) and as a baby, her diapers were soaked.

I wish that a family member would have said "possible" diabetes, but nobody ever mentioned it.. If they did, I KNOW I would have gotten her tested with Trialnet.... :(

8. heamwdevine

heamwdevine Approved members

Our pump trainer told us it CAN be a 5 year process. I remember talking with Anna's pre-school teacher about some of her meltdowns and we were wondering if she could be hypoglycemic. There were some symptoms at 2-3 and I just didn't know because she was my first child and had no experience with Type 1.

I thought I read an article once that talked about the proteins on the surface of the measles virus resembling the proteins on the surface of the beta cells. Did anyone else ever read anything like this? I always wonder about these being a "trigger" as well, and am now paranoid to do anymore to my other children.

9. monkeyschool

I haven't heard about this, but it is a similar theory to something related to cancer someone mentioned before. It was something along the lines of a certain chemical structure in a sugar molecule that is the same as that of a cancer cell. So that cancer feeds on that particular sugar compound because of that structure make up.....I may not be remembering that 100%. I'll have to go back and look at the booklet when I get home :eek:. It is an interesting theory.

10. caspi

caspi Approved members

Respectfully, I saw this as a post where you asked a question regarding vaccines and you received answers. Jeff also gave you a link to a number of studies on this topic. I didn't see anyone "twisting the topics in all kinds of directions". I'm sorry if you saw it that way. But when you ask a question on a public forum, you are going to receive different responses. I'm sorry if they didn't all agree with what you wanted them to say. :(

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Well, I guarantee that your child is not the only child out there who has developed T1 in close proximity to receiving a vaccination. So I'm not sure what's stopping you from asking your endo this question anyway.

I also still fail to see how you can be baffled at the responses that you got. It would be no different than if I had started a thread asking if anyone else's child was diagnosed shortly after Halloween, because I thought that candy might have caused my child's dx. If I started such a thread, I would expect people to respond with "There's no evidence that candy causes T1" and not, "Yes! My child was diagnosed shortly after Halloween too!"

12. swellman

swellman Approved members

I was going to say I guarantee there are 20 or more people in exactly the same situation and it would be prudent to assume it to be true. So, we agree 100% on this point.

13. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

This is what the OP asked originally. It doesnt appear to me that she was asking about vaccines necessarily:confused: But just asking if anyones teens had been vaccinated prior to to diagnosis. As I said previously, it is normal, natural and really ok if someone wants to try and find out information or correlations or connections. Ive seen other questions asked in here. About C-sections and diagnosis of type 1. Someone had read about that as a possible cause of type 1 diabetes and shared the info. I am sure that this person was not suggesting that anyone refuse to have a C-section for fear of their child getting type 1.

Unfortunately, there is a great deal of information out there about vaccines and autoimmune diseases, asthma, allergies, autism and probably many other conditions that may or may not begin with an A. There are probably thousands of links and thousands of studies and blogs about this subject. Everyone has to do the research they feel is necessary and than do what is best for their child(ren)

To me anyway, I like to ask questions because I feel that knowledge is power. I read alot and I look up info on the computer but I know that alot of info is drivel and not proven. So I take from that what I find interesting and useful and forget the rest

14. hawkeyegirl

Becky, I agree that knowledge is power, but informal surveys on a message board are useless when trying to arrive at a conclusion about something like vaccines causing diabetes.

It was not inappropriate for people to tell the OP that there is no evidence that vaccines cause T1, even if that is not the question that she asked.

15. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

But isn't that "derailing" the thread? :confused::confused:

16. hawkeyegirl

I'd say it's was a natural evolution of the thread. As in useful, relevant, and related to the original topic. Honestly, are you trying to say that the only "allowed" responses to the OP should have been "Yes" or "No"? Even Jeff posted a link to the studies. So clearly he didn't think it was a "derailment" to note that there is no proven link between vaccines and T1.

If you would like a clearer definition of what is considered "derailment," I'd suggest you ask the moderators that question.

ETA: I'd note that your first post in the thread (and your other posts) were not directly responsive to the OP's question either.

17. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

I was responding to the post before me, I just didn't quote.

18. wilf

wilf Approved members

If you told your doctor that "I have a bunch of family members with Type One" AND ALSO TOLD HER "I am concerned about a possible trigger link between MMR vaccine and Type 1 D" THEN you could have had this discussion with her.. But you didn't.

So how is the doctor to guess about your position on vaccines without you informing her? Do you expect her to guess about other theories you have, and advise appropriately (in the context of those theories) as well?!

19. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.