- advertisement -

Vacations--teen on a cruise

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Cheryl5552, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Cheryl5552

Cheryl5552 Approved members

Mom, dad and son (dx 12/06) going on a 10 day cruise in April, from NYC to Caribbean. Any tips from kids or parents? We've gotten some advice from the "Cruise Critics" forums, but the pro's live here on this board........looking forward to hearing from you.

2. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

i can help you with this one...i just got back from a week long cruise to the meditteranean(sp?)...the ship i was on(Royal Caribbean) was pretty nice...it had a rock climbing wall on it...if the ship your going on has one and your son is on a pump, make sure he takes it off...mine came unclipped from my pocket once and was hanging from the infusion set about 30 feet above the wooden deck...i didnt do any swimming(it was in the 60s most of the time), so i cant help you with that...as for eating, im on a pump, so it wasnt to big of a deal...you might want to tell the head waiter or the cruise director he is type one diabetic...feel free to email me if you have any questions...my email is diamondback688@yahoo.com ...by the way, my name is Ryan...

3. nantomsuethom

nantomsuethom Approved members

We went on a week long cruise this past summer. Thomas also has a pump and did fairly well. We guessed on most of his meals and snacks so he did run high a lot but he corrected right away. He and I worked out in the gym a few times too.
    Have a great time!

4. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

Make sure you take lots of supplie(double what you think you will need), a note from your doctor, a travel prescription, and snacks
    Hope you have a great time!:)

5. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

on that med. cruise i went on, i took triple what i thought id need...

6. jpb286

jpb286 Approved members

Triple supplies is a must. As far as insulin goes, get at double what you think you will need, and ask the pharmacy if you can get vials with different lot numbers. This helps reduce the chance that if you get a bad vial, all of the vials wont be bad. Just remember to bring your insulin, supplies, etc with you when you go on land at any of the islands. Ask the cruise staff if there is anything you need as far as dietary concerns go, they are always more than accomodating. I have been on a cruise, and I can say that the regular food is reasonably healthy, and easier/more predictable in terms of carb counting/bolusing, whereas the diabetic stuff is almost harder because some stuff has carbs, some doesnt, etc...

But the most important thing is to have fun!

7. Pener3621

Pener3621 Approved members

Trip Tips

Make sure that you have ever single kind of supply that you are going to need:D I went to flordia and forgot my exrta resivors at home in NY, had evrthbing else so we were able to go to my uncles doctors office and talk with them they were able to help us. SO Don't forget your supplies when you leave your house(any typw, pump or non- pump). Also bring with you a note from your endo doc. This is must other wise I would of never gotten through the cheack pint at the airport. This is the first time that I did any big traveling since I got diabetes back in Dec. 2000. I learned alot of lessons
    need anyone to talk to email me. ;) Cathie