- advertisement -

Usually not about me-question/concern

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 2' started by mmc51264, Mar 28, 2009.

1. mmc51264

mmc51264 Approved members

I normally go to the section that is about kids with Type 1, but I have a question about me. I am almost 45, I had my son with diabetes right before I was 40. I had gestational diabetes with both (older son is almost 8), insulin dependent for 2nd. Afterwared, there was a lot of concern because my fasting BS were always high 120-125. A1c was 5.6-6.0, never high. I moved adn now have a new doctor adn finally got her to check my A1c becuase I told her that my fastings are 140ish now and I am worried. A1c came back 6.8. She said not to worry, but I am. I had surgery on my foot last year and haven't been able to exercise like I would like, plus it has been icky weather.
    Should I push to see an adult endo or start exercising and wait until my next check-up in 6 months?
    I am overweight, hypothyroid, but I eat healthy, don't drink or smoke.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks!!

2. lilituc

lilituc Approved members

I would be concerned if my A1c were 6.8, dunno if that helps.

Do you have a bg meter? Can you do some tests on your own, like two hours after eating?

3. mmc51264

mmc51264 Approved members

I have taken my bs 2 hours: 110ish usually. I am going to keep a log as long as I can (we have many types of strips and meters from my son w/T1) and get rechecked again. I thinnk I'll push for and endo referral.
    Thanks!

4. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

The fasting is indicative of diabetes but it is not used for diagnosis. The thing with type 2 is that a person is diagnosed with by fasting numbers or post meal numbers. With an a1c of 6.8 is equal to an average blood sugar of 165. I would definitely see an endo about it. It would be a good idea to get a few fasting readings and then do some post meal readings at the one hour and two mark to see how far you are going up after a meal and then starting to return to pre-meal numbers. Of course you will want some pre-meal numbers as well as a list of the foods you ate and how much. Keep a diary of the above so that when you see the endo you can show why you are concerned.
    Please let us know what happens.