- advertisement -

Using Zofran preventively

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DsMom, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Ti'sMom

Ti'sMom Approved members

The doc prescribed it after I told her his symptoms, ie stomach cramping, nausea, and no appetite. Of course he had the upper respiratory stuff as well.

2. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

My DD has an issue where she can't throw up and through that I've seen what vomiting does. If we all get a stomach virus DS and I are over it in a day or two. DD on the other hand has a very sore tummy and diarhoea for minimum of a week, and last time at least a month, maybe longer as it's hard to tell with her. Everytime she gets a bug I find myself wishing she could throw up. I wouldn't give anything to prevent the throwing up for that reason. It does serve a purpose in getting the virus out of the body. If it got to a dangerous point I'd be going to the hospital (and I absolutely hate our hospital). Luckily DS rarely gets sick, so it's not usually an issue with his D. Unfortunately, DD picks up everything, and due to this issue a lot worse than most people.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Yes, as much as we hate stomach bugs because of what havoc it wrecks in our d kids lives, vomiting does serve the purpose of expelling the virus out.
    IMO, I would be more apt to let it run it's course for the first few hours and then move on to Zofran.

I have Gastroparesis, and I take a low dose for nausea. There have been one or two times when a stomach bug was going around and because I was taking it I wasn't able to tell if I was having a flare or the stomach bug because I wasn't vomiting.:eek:

4. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

So, do you think (or know if) the virus will linger longer because we use Zofran? I'm actually torn whether I would want my son to feel not so good for a few days, or absolutely wretched for one day. When he vomits, it is not like he vomits a couple of times...it is like a chain reaction, usually several times per hour for hours, and he is just heaving up what looks like mucus and is in severe stomach discomfort. It is this, and not necessarily D (although we did go for D at least once), that causes me to take him to the ER. His reaction makes me wonder if it is just a virus or something else, like appendicitis. I've learned it is just his normal reaction to stomach upset...and we avoided the ER this time. My other kids' vomiting is very different, which is why, coupled with the D-related issues (which were nonexistent this time), I really, really like to avoid vomiting in my son with D.

5. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

No, but I think there's also a fine line between eliminating vomiting, and preventing dehydration. Vomiting alone is really not the problem and it's not dangerous.. is the dehydration that often follows when the vomiting doesn't stop. It is really rare for me that I get one of those "24 hour" bugs that the kids get and am over it that fast.. typically I've continued to vomit for days.. and not just occasionally, but dry heaving every 20-30 minutes with no chance of keeping anything down. That's where the zofran helps.

I know I said it in my post before, but even zofran isn't 100% effective in stopping vomiting. In my case it usually helps enough that I can rehydrate myself... but I've still gone in for fluids after taking zofran. I've also gone to the ER with strep because I couldn't swallow (too painful) and ended up very dehydrated. I'm personally not afraid of the ER - if you can advocate for what you need (fluids) and assure them it's not DKA (by providing a log of BG's and a progression of symptoms - I think a majority of DKA patients that hospitals see don't test regularly at all, so arming yourself with numbers to show them helps a lot), they are usually happy to hook you up to an IV and just let you be for a while... if you don't dramatically improve with the first liter of fluids (which you will if you are simply dehydrated) then they start talking about running lots of tests.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I don't know for sure.
    I can see where, for your son, it boarders on dangerous because of how it effects him.

Right, the most important thing is to keep yourself hydrated. And yes, while Zofran is designed to prevent vomiting, there's still a chance that the bug is stronger than the med. It may keep things from getting out of hand. My friend was going through chemo and an experimental treatment and Zofran didn't help her at all. Different scenario, but you get the idea. It can only do so much. But, for most it works wonders.