- advertisement -

Using Mastisol with Dexcom

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Nancy in VA, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

So, I've gotten some Mastisol to use with Emma's Dexcom - the Dexcom tape lasts only a day or so before pulling off. But I can't seem to figure out how to use it without making a huge mess. It's a spray bottle and when I tried to spray the tape in advance, it wouldn't stick to her arm. So, then I sprayed her arm and tried to wipe the small section where the sensor is inserted, since I was told it would affect the sensor. But the spray was all outside where the tape was and I tried to get the extra sticky that was on her arm, etc.

So how do others use Mastisol so it's not a big mess when using it with Dexcom?

2. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

We have the same problem. Flexifix works great but is painful to remove and irritates his skin. I bought the Mastisol and am waiting for the opportunity to use it. My plan is to discard the sprayer and use a Q-tip to brush on where the tape has started coming up. I will report back.

3. Nancy in VA

Jenm999: Flexifix works for us longer than the Dexcom tape but still, by Day 7, I'm snipping off the edges that are coming loose and reapplying new tape. I may try the qtip next time - right now, she has a butt load of Mastisol sprayed on her skin under the Dexcom, and hopefully its not affecting the sensor, and I didn't put on any over tape so I can see how long this lasts. She wears it on the back of her arm and its typically exacerbated because her short sleeves manage to catch on the top of the transmitter and are constantly pulling on it. But she won't wear it anywhere else

4. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

When I used it, I would draw a small circle where the needle would go with a pen and then use a q tip to apply mastisol around the circle. Then I would line up the opening for the needle on the dex tape with my circle and insert the sensor.

5. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Let us know, Nancy! I hadn't thought of using the mastisol proactively. I was thinking to reglue the flaps that inevitably come up over the course of the week. That's a good idea.

6. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Reporting back: the mastisol applied carefully with a q-tip around the edges did NOT work. They just became brittle once the glue dried. My son also says the smell bothers him (though I didn't notice a smell once it dried). He prefers us just to layer more white tape (hypafix) and does not care how grody it looks!

7. Nancy in VA

So far, I've had to touch up the edges but Emma's has stayed on. And she even went in the pool on Sunday - we put a wrap around her arm when she goes in the pool, but she's often lost a transmitter 1st day if she goes in the pool. So we are at day 5 and the tape is sticking without overtape.

8. shannong

shannong Approved members

We just used mastisol for the last Dexcom insertion type. Our type is just liquid and pours out like liquid not a spray. So, I just poured it out carefully on the Dexcom adhesive and sort of spread it around before I stuck it on him. I was careful to avoid the hole where the probe would be inserted. Anyway, it has worked great!! It has stuck to him wonderfully. He has allergic reactions to every tape I have tried, so fingers crossed so far he says there is no itching.

9. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Don't use the spray, just use a Qtip and swab it onto the back of the tape from the Dexcom. Let it get tacky and then place it on the skin. Skin Tac does smell better and you can still get a free sample bottle of it I think from Torbot.com. Either of them work better if you are just needing to stick down the edges if you place a piece of Flexifix over the edges as well. Then you have at least a week more with no pulling up.

10. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

What if you stuck some kind of a sticker dot on the skin where the sensor is going to go? Like maybe a round garage sale price label? That might be a little big. Then when you sprayed the Mastisol it wouldn't get on that area. Then you just peel off the sticker and voila!

We can't use Mastisol at all because Jacob breaks out from it. One time I accidentally sprayed some across his chest and his skin broke out in the exact spray pattern.