- advertisement -

using lantus pass 28 days ok or not ok???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jessandvarick, Mar 3, 2010.

1. jessandvarick

jessandvarick Approved members

Hi all,
    I've been away for some time, work and weather keeping me busy !! ok onto for my reason for this, and I know it's been asked before but I can't find the thread on it.

is it safe to use Lantus pass the 28 days, stated? I have used for 3o days and it seems to be fine. But my sister is all out of her Lantus and asked if she could have DS leftover at the 30 day mark, when I start the new vial she would be using for 10 more days until her insurance oks hers.
    Dont know if it's relevant but sis is type 2 and on one shot of lantus a day.

any guide on this greatly apreciated.

thanks

2. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

I don't know about Lantus but I was wondering the same thing about Levemir. The endo told us Novolog and Levemir are both good for 28 days when opened. Well the insert with the Levemir says it's good 42 days after opening! So why do they want us to throw away perfectly good Levemir?

3. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

its not going to go bad exactly at the 28day mark, but it will start to loose its effect slowly (if to much heat, or to cold it could loose it pretty fast..) What your sister needs to do is talk to her doctor about getting an extra vial written in with her script.. what happens if she drops the vial 1/2way through the month? if she's getting one vial a month, have her get two.. or ask for the lantus solostar pens.. you get 5 pens, she should be able to get a box a month, then she'll have some extra. :)

4. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

I asked the same question a month ago and got mixed answers but the bias seems to be on using it up to 30 days and then throwing it away. Last month I used it for 31 days and monitored Jeremy's BG closely to see if the Lantus lost its effectiveness. His BG was in the low 100's each morning. At the 30 day mark, it went up slightly and at 31 days, he was at 127. There are so many other factors involved but I thought it was interesting that he was a little higher after 31 days. I kept the Lantus in the fridge. After 31 days, I threw it away.

Jeremy is now on the Solostar pens and much happier now that he does not need syringes.

5. Deal

Deal Approved members

I find it interesting that a bottle of Lantus has a 1 year shelf life if unused then suddenly only 30 days once you draw some out of the vile.

To me that 30 days seems more like a marketing expiry date versus a medical one. Suppliers can keep it around for a year but then there is a forced redundancy date just 30 days after purchase? Weird, I'm not really buying it.

After 30 days of a vile I started rotating between the open vile and a new vile to see if I notice any difference. It's about day 50 and the first vile is still performing the same as the newer one fwiw.

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

after you've opened the seal and put a syringe in, you are introducing air and possible contaminants into the vial whcih cause it to break down.. its not a marketing ploy.

7. jessandvarick

jessandvarick Approved members

Thanks to all, Ok I think sis is going to use it for about 10 days after I give it to her ( makes no sense to throw away perfectly good insulin) she will just keep an eye and see if her # start to raise up, and then stop if necessary.

thanks again guys!

8. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Interestingly, we've got a vial of Humulin R in the fridge that we've been using on and off for about 2 months with no problem. Maybe because it's only been used half a dozen times (if that) that there's been no degradation. But I hated to throw it and figured that, at worst, I'd correct with Humalog. :rolleyes:

9. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

When my daughter was on Lantus, I could see it losing its effectiveness at around 25 -26 days..(her numbers would start running higher)...and then again some people did not see this at all..and I kept the vial in the fridge. We never used an entire vial either..and each month I found us disposing of more than half a vial. I used to wish for little ones on smaller doses they would make a tinier vial ..seems so wasteful.

10. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

We are on day 31 with Lantus vial, so far, so good. Last month we pitched it at 28 days (we are rookies, diagnosed in Dec '09) but thought we would just try it out and see if we used it past the 28 day mark what, if anything, would happen. Keeping close eye on DS...

11. joan

joan Approved members

I once asked a drug rep that sold lantus why it expires after 28 days and she told me that is is not necessarily the insulin's potency but also after 28 days of use the vial has increase chance of being exposed to bacteria. True or not I have no idea but we use ours around 30 days and open a new one.

12. Mikker

Mikker Approved members

I tend to go along with the idea that it is the air being introduced into the vial that affects the potency of the insulin. If that is true... then it would make sense to me that different people would see different results based on how "much" air had been introduced to the vial.

Ie., folks that are using 40u's of insulin a day (subsequently, injecting 40u's of air into the vial) might see a quicker reduction in potency than someone injecting only 5u's of air a day. Just food for thought~~

13. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

It depends on what you mean by safe. I mean, will it kill you--no. But it may start to lose it's effectiveness. It's certainly "safer" than nothing at all, though. Basically if she needs it and it seems to be working then great, and if it doesn't then she needs new stuff. If money is a big issue then I would use it until bs started rising.

We used to opwn a fresh bottle on the first of each month. Everything seemed fine to me.

14. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

I think we have a pen or two in the fridge that we aren't using. I will check tonight when I get home. If I do, I can mail it to her if that would help.

15. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I find that if you are paying out of pocket for things, you easily make them last a lot longer than 'advised' :eek:

When we were buying Lantus, I would keep in in the fridge, carefully only remove the units we needed with a new syringe and it lasted us up to 6 months with no loss of potency.

16. wilf

wilf Approved members

It's kind of like eating meat products after their "best before" date. Most of the time you can get away with it, but every once in awhile you'll have a bad experience that will drive home why those dates are worth respecting.

17. Brandi's mom

Brandi's mom Approved members

We've been using the vials for way more than the 28/30 days and I have not seen any loss of effectiveness.

18. wilf

wilf Approved members

That's because Brandi is honeymooning. When your child is honeymooning you can get away with all sorts of things that would lead to disaster later. :cwds:

19. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

Not something to look forward to but I guess it's reality.

20. TwoWithType1

TwoWithType1 Approved members

Insulin Stability Article

I had the same question and came across this article. Evidently an opened Lantus vial starts losing its potency after 28 days. From what I have heard, this effect on blood sugar can be very evident in some people, not so much in others. The article also states that other types of insulin, such as Humalog, have a 28 day expiration date on open vials mainly due to sterility concerns.

Personally, we use a new Lantus vial each month and use our refigerated Humalog vial until it is gone (about 2.5 months).