- advertisement -

Using Cartridges To Fill A Pump Resevoir?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wearingtaci, Nov 27, 2013.

1. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

Hi!My name is Sarah and I hoard insulin(thanks Doomsday Preppers,lol). Sophie's tslim will be here today,she starts a saline trial Monday and goes live Thursday. We have a box of 3ml humalog carts left. Can I use a syringe to draw up insulin from the carts to fill a resevoir.

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I only ever use cartridges. I haven't gotten a traditional vial since we starting pumping 6 years ago

3. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Absolutely. I've placed two additional orders for insulin since Kaylee's been on her tSlim and I've stuck with the pen cartridges rather than switching to vials. You hoard insulin for doomsday - I fear broken insulin vials. Same thing! I figure, if one gets dropped, you are only losing 300 units max - the rest are safe and sound in the butter compartment.

The downside in using cartridges is that you have to fill using multiple cartridges all the time. We fill the cartridge only to last the three days of the site. I know some fill it all the way and then just change things out piecemeal. But anyway, my daughter uses less than one cartridge, but more than half of a cartridge, so every other fill, she is using two different cartridges. But, we're just going to keep doing what we are doing (and no, no one in the family has ever dropped one; it's just a fear I have).

Also, you picked a good pump if you are an insulin hoarder, because the t:slim is also an insulin hoarder. It hides about 20 units in every cartridge. So, always account for the hidden insulin and the insulin you need for the tubing when you initial fill.

For example, Kaylee uses right around 40 units a day - which would be 120. But then I add 20 units for tubing and 20 units as my sacrifice to the t:slim gods and another 10 just in case. So I fill each cartridge with 170 units, but only around 130 (after tubing fill) will show as available to use.

Good luck with the saline trial and going live! I hope she really likes it!

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I do it sometimes. Just be careful that you don't push insulin back in with too much force (if you have an air bubble). That little rubber stopper can go flying and you can then be covered in insulin:eek:

I tend to take the cartridges when we travel. They fit easily into the Frio pouch.

5. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

We've only ever used the cartridges, they work great for us. I keep the pen they go in on hand too just in case we have a site fail and I have to correct I can use the pen to do it.

6. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

We used to use them when I used under 300 units a month. Just don't inject air into them like you would a vial! Then you end up with the stopper going flying and the room smelling like insulin (my mom had a habit of doing that....).

7. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I think it's the smartest idea. We're left with a lot of insulin left over using the cartridges (well, the disposable pens) and not the vials. We were getting 1 vial a month and my daughter barely hits 200 units so it was a big waste. So now we're left with a lot more :)

8. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I use cartridges, don't draw up insulin, push it in!