- advertisement -

Using Alcohol Swabs/Wipes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by rgcainmd, May 24, 2014.

1. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

My daughter also licks her fingers. But I don't think it's gross because: 1. No blood stains on clothing, sheets, etc. 2. She re-ingests the iron she would otherwise lose (however small!) 3. Saves money on tissue. Definitely win-win!

2. bettycrackpot

bettycrackpot Approved members

I love my alcohol wipes and you'll pry them from my cold dead hands!!!!! :p and I just ordered the dabs for the BG case.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

In a perfect world my daughter will wash her hands. I will try and remember to at least wipe with a damp cloth during the night. She licks her finger when done testing, even in her sleep...

4. glko

glko Approved members

At dx we were also told no need for alcohol wipes just wash and dry first. I did want to share what we tried for the first time this week and it worked great. DS was on a class field trip at a farm. Had him test his BG and he was low so he ate and moved to the next station which was tree planting. I wanted to check him after 15 min but when I went to the tree station his hands were filthy and no clean water to wash hands nearby and he didn't want to miss out on the rest of the station. We tested on his earlobe which by that time was the only clean part of his body! To test I set the lancing device at 1.5 (use the multiclix) and poked in the lobe a little lower than where you would pierce the ear. Got a great drop of blood and he said it did not hurt a bit!
    Perhaps many of you already do this, but thought I would share for those who may be even newer to this then we are, especially with summer coming and with it fun in the dirt and mud.

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I have note read many that test the ear, but in the past we have always talked about testing toes on little ones.

I guess the thing to consider is to do a comparison test with a finger poke, some parts of the body lag behind in BG swings.

6. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

We used alcohol swabs religiously for probably the first 6-8 months. Then the CDE told us we didn't have to, we could just wash and test, so that's what we started doing. We actually had the school nurse argue with us that he needed to be using alcohol swabs until I finally put my foot down and said no, the CDE said he could just wash and test, and that's what we're doing. We do use alcohol swabs for pump sites, but we don't for Dexcom sites. We use Flonase for those, then Johnson Tough Pads, then the Dexcom, so his skin is pretty protected.

RE: alternate testing sites. We tried his toe one time..it hurt so bad, he said never, ever again and we've never tried again.

7. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

We only use them when a bathroom is not handy really. The alcohol threw off a reading one time where her bg was higher than what the meter said. So I'm cautious with them and would rather soap and water.