- advertisement -

Using a 0 basal on the pump???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by AmyJoeBut, Nov 5, 2013.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

we just left a low amount of basal going and that would keep the insulin to the end of the tubing, I was in the habit of looking at the end of the tubing and I would prime a drop just to make sure every once in a while but it was not needed really.

Bepending on the type of site, the priming process can be significantly different. but there is no real "mess" you just prime the tubing till you get drops, unless you wee a bubble and then I would always prime the bubble out.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Here's the thing. You constantly offer advice in pumping threads despite the fact that you have not successfully pumped. It has always been clear from your posts that you didn't particularly want to pump, had issues with seeing your daughter attached to the pump, and were very relieved to switch back to shots. Now I don't care a whit whether or not you pump or use MDI, but given that you didn't want to pump, were never able to succesfully figure out how to pump, and chime in on virtually every thread telling people the myriad of ways in which pumping was bad for you, it is difficult to see what constructive advice on pumping you are hoping to give to people. There is no way to know that your daughter's low basal rates caused your problems with pumping. I'd hazard a guess it was more likely to be your constant issues with bubbles in the tubing, which, any way you look at it, was user error.

To be very honest, the 5 months we were on MDI were completely miserable, but I somehow avoid chiming in on every MDI post listing the ways in which MDI sucked for us. You know why? No one cares.

3. AmyJoeBut

AmyJoeBut Approved members

We met with the Pod rep tonight and he said the same thing. As much as I love the idea of no tubing, I think we are going to rule it out based on the 0 basal.

4. hawkeyegirl

Historically, Omnipod has offered a "cut the cord" program to people who have tubed pumps. When we did it, we paid $199 out of pocket for a PDM, and our insurance will cover pods the same way it covers infusion sets. So even if you end up with a tubed pump now, there's a good chance that you could get a Pod system pretty cheaply down the road if it would work for you at some time in the future. :)

5. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

Andddd it still doesn't mean I can't give my opinion. =) If people want honest opinions, then no, the pump doesn't work for everyone period. Not 100% of all diabetics in the world can say they loved the pump. Sorry, but it's true.

Back to this thread, again, all I said was I wouldn't recommend it. So really, there's no need to jump down someone's throat. It's a forum. Relax.

6. melissajm

melissajm Approved members

Both of my kids are untethered. We have never had a problem with the tubing clogging.

7. hawkeyegirl

Really, if there is anyone who needs to relax about pumping, it's you.

You obviously can give your opinion. Often times your opinion doesn't have anything to do with the question asked, but I don't mind skipping over your posts, because I know that you don't really have anything constructive or knowledgable to say about pumping. But people who have never pumped before who are asking for advice don't know that.

You don't have the first clue whether or not your daughter's low basal rates contributed to your failure with pumping. You have no idea whether doing a zero basal works or not. All you appear to want to do is to spread doom and gloom about pumping and to try to encouage others to avoid it at all costs.

I'm sure you know way more about MDI than I do, and would have valuable advice to give folks (especially people with very small kids) about that subject. It really is okay to only respond to threads where you have knowledgable opinions to share.

8. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

As an adult, I use the 0 basal all the time when I have lows, sometimes for a couple hours