- advertisement -

Used test strips!!! (tiny vent)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by quiltinmom, May 2, 2013.

1. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

My 11 year old has become "lazy" (for lack of a better word) when it comes to disposing of his old strips. In his old case there was a velcro pocket that he stashed his old strips in (which was fine because they didn't fall all over the place). It was gross, but understandable. There might be 100 in there at once. But I could open the case and dump them out without having to touch them.

Now we switched to a different meter that has no pocket. So instead of walking 3 steps to the garbage, he drops his strips loose in the case and zips it up. Well, that works until he needs to use his meter again, then they all fall out. He doesn't think used strips are gross. Maybe because they are HIS used strips?

The other thing that drives me nuts is when he's done testing he wipes the extra blood on his meter case. It's better than wiping on his clothes, but how do I convince him that it's disgusting?

I know this is a dumb thing to be irritated by (at least he's testing, right?) but.......sheesh!

Please tell me he'll grow out of it.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm cleaning today. Test strips under the sofa cushions, behind the wood stove, in her bed, on the floor, in the lint trap... I even found one in the compost (the finished compost and no, it did not break down) :rolleyes:

Maybe he'll outgrow it. If mine ever does I'll be sure to post a thread.:p

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Just to be clear...if they do NOT grow out of it, do you not want us to tell you that??:D:D:D

4. SandiT

SandiT Approved members

I was having an issue with this not so much from my daughter's standpoint, but my own. It seemed like I always had trash from doing her tests and stuff, lol.

I had bought stuff from this lady like, a year ago or so: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SewHappyDesignsAbbyR

I met her briefly in person, and I'm not affiliated or anything, just for the record.

Anyway, I had her make me some pouches. You can get "guy" looking cloth from her. I asked her to make me several pouches. I have a bit bigger kit for her full batch of stuff, and then smaller things for her needles and the like.

I suspect that she'd be happy to make you a "kit" for his testing stuff that would hold his trash and his testing supplies. He doesn't necessarily have to use the thing it came in. You can have a zippered kit that has an elastic for his "clicker", an elastic for his case of strips, another elastic for his meter... and then a couple of pouches "built in" that can hold his trash. It can velcro on and off for easy discarding.

Then, you could ask her to build on a cloth that can be removed with velcro and tossed into the washer (so he has somewhere to wipe).

I'm sorry if I'm doing a horrible job explaining, but basically, maybe he needs something completely different. Perhaps the kit that comes with the meter is just not what you need, period.

5. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Maybe he'll grow out it, maybe not. My dd does this and has since she was diagnosed in 2006. But on the list of things she does that bothers me, this is far far down there.

6. Momontherun

Momontherun Approved members

When I read this post I thought you were talking about my son. I am just happy to know he is checking his blood glucose.

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My daughter puts them in a old tic tac container at school, and no where in particular at home. I started picking them up and putting them in a cup and charging her a penny a strip. It stopped for a while and I noticed recently it has started up again.
    At least she's good about it in school and out in public!

8. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

There everywhere.

And if my vacuum gets clogged with another Omnipod plug thing (the one that goes over the cannula, clear plastic) I may go bonkers.

9. Mom2Jared

Mom2Jared Approved members

I find strips from my DS everywhere! He NEVER throws them away - the best was the day I was searching through my purse for change and came up with half a dozen used strips LOL maybe gross, but it is what it is, right?

10. shannong

shannong Approved members

Test strips are like are calling card - I find them everywhere. When I get out of the car, there is one on the driveway, on the front porch, on the kitchen floor, etc, etc. It doesn't bother me.

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

In the litter box too.

Funny if we are out and see one on the ground that isn't our brand, she makes sure to shout "not mine!"

12. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I always feel compelled in public to shout: LOOK, there are others!

13. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

The amount of used test strips in my house and everywhere except the garbage has doubled since our second dx in December. :p

Both of mine are lickers not wipers but I will admit to wiping the excess blood from their fingers on my pj's when night testing. :eek:

14. Ali

Ali Approved members

Adult here. But I am a licker. Those tissues get gross too. And I do just stick my strips in the pocket of my meter. My current one does not zip so I too end up with strips scattered about...:p The trick is to find a meter case that has a zipper part to put strips in and is not bulky. I carry a purse and hate to think what guys have to do to carry a meter...:cwds:ali

15. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

Jared has a mentos gum container in his d bag for used test strips the tic tac container was a little small but the he was eating mentos gum one day and low and behold a perfect container was found. We also have glucose tabs in a old m&ms minis tube it works great because it holds quite a bit more of them. Jared is also a licker although he has started to wipe it on his pants :rolleyes:

16. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

Marissa used to collect the used strips in her meter case, even if she was standing next to a trash can! I do not know what she does with them now, probably the same thing. She is here often, though does not live here. We find at least one strip per week from her. We have no issues picking them up and disposing of them; she has no communicable diseases.

Three weeks ago, we had a pile of mulch delivered. While filling the wheelbarrow with mulch, Jeff found a test strip. Clearly, it was not Marissa's since she was not here when it was delivered. It was handled with gloves and disposed of. I'd guess that many of the random strips seen on the ground in places are dropped, fall out of cases.

17. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

I don't know if my kids EVER throw a test strip in an actual trash can. Most of the time, they don't even take them out of the meter until they go to test again. I empty their bags a few times a week but we still find them everywhere - driveway, floors, parking lots, car....it's like Hansel and Gretel's breadcrumb trail. You can always tell where we've been. :p

I've never been bothered by them. In fact, for a gag gift one year (family tradition) I made her a picture of herself in test strips. She loved it so much that I now make one for her every year. I'll miss the One Touch ones this year - Freestyles are just white and black. Much less artsy.

Here's the latest, just for fun. She's into owls ;)

18. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

You are so clever!

19. Ali

Ali Approved members

Agree. That Owl is great.
    Ali

20. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

....In a shoe, next to the trash can (she has bad aim), in the washing machine, under the fridge...

My daughter's also a licker. *shrug*