- advertisement -

Used Dexcom Transmitters

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by LoveMyHounds, Jun 23, 2016.

1. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

Do you by any chance have used the Dexcom transmitter? I know people in Europe that replace batteries and reuse them. It would be big help, because Dexcom is not covered by insurance over there.
    Please let me know.

2. barbiduleny

barbiduleny Approved members

G4 or G5?
    I have a few G5, but i don't know that it would be a big help, as the transmitters disable themselves at the 105 day mark whether the battery is dead or not. You'd need to some sort of hard reset....

3. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Same here. All I have is G5. Are these still useful?

4. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

I have one G4. It's been unused for less than three months, I think.

5. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

I think I have one

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Just curious, if they replace batteries and reuse them, why would they need OUR transmitters? Why not just use the ones they have? Also, I would be careful sending/selling medical devices to other people as well as sending them outside the USA.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

most people are not successful in cutting the transmitter correctly to get it to work in the first try.

8. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members

Agree. It's a prescription item...and if you want to hack your own supplies fine, but I would be cautious too.

9. sparty87

sparty87 Approved members

because you can likely only replace the battery once given the process outlined below.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Dexcom+G4+batteries+Replacement/55536

10. Christopher

Wow, that is ridiculous. I would have to be extremely desperate to do something like that to a medical device that was so critical to my child's health and safety.

11. sparty87

sparty87 Approved members

I'm grateful that we have access to good insurance and finances so we don't have to do this. At the same time, I'm saddened that there are T1s that have to resort to this.

12. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

There are tinkerers in this world. I am guessing the guys who figured it out did it simply because they wanted to prove they could (and then to save themselves some cash). I knew someone in high school whose dad modified his car during the gas crunch in the 70's to have an additional hidden gas tank! Can you imagine that? How would you feel about turning that car on, pressing the gas pedal or coming to a sudden stop? But they did it !

13. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Maybe this person is desperate. The goal is to replace a battery which is pretty binary, not hack the algorithm. More power to them IMO.

14. Christopher

No, I totally get that the person might be desperate. But to be fair, this isn't just popping the cover off a remote control and replacing the battery. It is drilling, chopping, gluing a medical device. A ton of things could go wrong that could seriously impact your child's health (life). I am just saying I would try and exhaust every other avenue before taking this kind of risk with my child. That's just my personal feeling, I'm not judging them.

15. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

I hear you, just pointing out the other side. My husband's car seat once became detached from the chassis from rust, so he taught himself to weld and drove that car for another 2 years. I remember being that broke.