- advertisement -

Urgent question regarding my mom

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 2' started by grantsmom, Jun 1, 2010.

1. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

I post on the Parent's with Children with Type One.

I am estranged from my mother but my brother just called to tell me she called him because she has not tested in a week (ran out of strips) and hasn't eaten in three days because she is not hungry.

My Dad went to go get her strips and I am waiting to hear what her BG reading is.

The odd thing is the lack of appetite. My mother is over 300 pounds and eats all the time.

I really do not know much about type 2 and was hoping someone can tell us what to be concerned about.

She does not have an Endo, and she takes metaformin (please forgive mispelling) no insulin shots.

Thanks

2. grantsmom

She took her BG and it was 152 and took it again and was 181

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm no expert on type 2, but I can't imagine those numbers would cause anything more than mild symptoms.

If she hasn't eaten for 3 days through loss of appetite, she might need to see her doctor regarding other causes of loss of appetite.. JMO.

4. grantsmom

Thank you for responding! After MUCH research last night on the internet we came to the same conclusion.

My Brother will be taking her to her doctor today.

Thanks

5. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

It's also possible that "hasn't eaten all day" doesn't mean no food, it just means less - I know I use that wording sometimes when I've had nothing substantial all day.. but it by no stretch means I haven't eaten at all :p

I hope that they're able to figure something out though - estranged or not, it's still hard to hear something may be wrong :eek:

6. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

She definitely had to eat something. If I didn't eat I would be in the 300 to 400 with rebounds and sicker than a dog. Good thing she is going to a doctor though.
    Wanted to add if she has just recently started the Metformin it can decrease appetite substantially due to the gastric side effects, ie nausea, diarrhea, etc. Those side effects ususally subside over time and her appetite will increase.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010