- advertisement -

Urgent!!! Please help-insulin not working

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Emily2015, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Emily2015

Emily2015 Approved members

My 18 mo old is newly diagnosed. We have been doing ok, using carb to ration of 30 carbs to 1 unit of Humalog. Then the nurse told me that I had to change insulin once a month and mine was out for close to 2.5 mo. So I quickly switched and opened a new bottle that I kept in the refrigerator. Then strange things started happening... It seemed liked it was not working at all... It takes at least an hour to start lowering sugar, and I increased the ration to 15 carbs to 1 and he is still hyper most of the time... Could it be bad insulin??? That's the only thing that makes sense to me. I called the hospital and they say that he probably needs his dose adjusted... But it makes no sense!!!! For example had woke up with 230, I have him two units and 30 min later it was still 230! I was waiting for it to start going down before giving him breakfast.

2. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

Honestly I suspect it is coincidental to the new bottle of insulin and that his body is just changing and he is going to need way more. Early on and with a toddler there can be quite a lot of adjustments. A half hour is not very long to expect results. Corrections often take an hour to kick in around here. Have you checked for ketones? If there are no ketones then I would think he is getting insulin and just needs more. You should work with your endo to slowly increase doses. They will go very slow and conservatively with such a little guy. My dd was 19 months old at diagnosis.

3. msschiel

msschiel Approved members

I am sorry you haven't gotten any replies yet. Not sure how much I can help. Can you give us more information. Obviously you are carb counting, but what is correction factor and glucose ranges?

4. DiabetesMama

DiabetesMama Approved members

Was the insulin always refrigerated? I have heard horror stories of how the doctors "forget" to mention that the insulin is to be kept refrigerated. Yes, thirty minutes is way too soon to expect results. It takes about an hour or an hour and a half for the insulin to peak. If after about two hours he doesn't start coming down, I would try administering a correction dose. My son was crazy high this morning for no reason. He was close to 3oo which is unheard of. I checked his site, gave correction and eventually he came back down. It is so frustrating sometimes because we are doing the same thing EVERY morning, even with what he eats and sometimes crazy things happen. That's just how this nasty disease is, unfortunately. Hope things level out for you and your little man soon. Keep us posted.

5. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

What about basal insulin?

6. wilf

wilf Approved members

If everything is going well, and then you start a new vial of insulin and everything goes bad - the first thing to suspect is the new insulin. If you still have the old vial, try going back to it and see if things settle down. If they do, then you know there is a problem with the new vial.

7. GChick

GChick Approved members

That was my question too. If newly diagnosed, may not have needed any at first and may now and that may be the discrepancy. If currently giving a basal (Lantus, Levemire etc) then suspect the new insulin bottle (still may not be, may just be that he needs more now for whatever reason... may be sick, who knows) and go from there.