- advertisement -

Urgent! Need to borrow a dexcom sensor for three days

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Emily2015, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Emily2015

Emily2015 Approved members

Hello, my 2 year old son's sensor has failed and we are without a sensor for the weekend. The supplied is closed. I will call on Monday and overnight it, but for now I am scared to be without it. He has no hypoglycemia awareness. His sugar dropped to 33 the other day and he did not look different...
    Called the hospital, but tegu offered no help other than admit him...
    We live in the Drlaware County (Philadelphia area). If anyone can share, we are willing to dive anywhere and will give it back as soon as we get it ourselves (Wednesday, but maybe even Tuesday if tegu can overnight)
    Thank you!

2. dpr

dpr Approved members

Check your pm's but you'll still need one for the weekend.

3. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

You should post on one of the fb dexcom groups. They have thousands and thousands of members and I'm sure someone is in your area. I'm happy to overnight a sensor but you wouldn't get it until Monday.

4. Emily2015

Thank you! I pm my addres to you. Please let me know if you got it.

5. dpr

dpr Approved members

Got it. I'll get them off Priority Mail on Monday. Your welcome :smile:

6. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Hey I live near Philly. If you need a sensor we can share.

7. Emily2015

Thank you!!!!!!

8. Emily2015

Thank you!!!! How can I get it from you? Could you pm the address?

9. mikegl31

mikegl31 Approved members

I live about 2 hours from Philadelphia and would be able to give you a sensor if you still need one.

10. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I'm not sure how long you have been dealing with diabetes but there are many people who don't use a CGM and do just fine. Yes, it is a great tool but if you can't use yours for a few days just do fingersticks. It's not that difficult. It is probably a good idea to get used to feeling comfortable without it in case of times just like this one when you can't use a CGM for a few days.

It's also a good idea to have a supply of sensors on hand before you run out so that in case one does fail, you have a back up. After re-reading your post I believe you are actually talking about the Transmitter and not the Sensor. But the same goes for that too. It's good to have a backup.
    Did you try calling Dexcom? I have called them on a Sunday and have always gotten to talk with someone.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  11. caspi

caspi Approved members

I 1,000% agree with this. Technology is great but it's important not to be too dependent on it.

12. dpr

dpr Approved members

But for those kids with really volatile ups and downs it's a real game changer!

13. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

I do think it's important to remember that while it's definitely feasible to manage T1 without a CGM, having one makes it possible to be much more aggressive and keep those numbers close to normal with limited risk. Target A1cs for all ages have been revised accordingly.

For instance, I'm told to expect that they will run my son in the low 200s for most of the week at camp. No biggie for one week, but an average BG of 200 translates to an A1c of 8.5.

Plus we parents see hugely improved quality of life when we can sleep at night knowing the CGM will wake us for out of range BGs, and our kids get some of their freedom back with remote monitoring.

I think a CGM is, after insulin (and before even our pump), absolutely essential.

14. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members

Exactly this.

I told myself on Saturday when our G4 transmitter died at 4 months and it will take until Tuesday to get a new one from Dex, "Its just a few nights without the CGM. We can manage." Major sleep deprivation here and yes, we are running him around the 200 range at night. I will have a back-up next time, I hope. My anxiety is through the roof as we were going through some basal and IC adjusting when it died and now I have to loosen control until it gets here to keep him safe with all the summer activities!

15. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

So my hat is off to folks that deal/dealt with T1D without a CGM. The thing that blew me away right after diagnosis was how t1D management was all about these "rules of thumb" that work some percentage of time, but nowhere near 100% of the time. When i saw my kid drop like 50 points in like 10 minutes playing a pickup game of basketball that first spring after diagnosis it was then that I realized that rules of thumb were just approximations that were close, but not nearly as reliable as I wished them to be.

Hopefully, over time, CGM's will become as common as a syringe, and the rules of thumb can be tossed aside, replaced with the hard evidence the CGM trace provides. When new families leave the hospital with the typical bag of goodies, (syringes/insulin/test strips/glucometer) there should be a reasonably priced/ubiquitous/accurate CGM in that bag. It should be the standard of care.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  16. dpr

dpr Approved members

We went 3 years without a CGM. Sure I can manage without one and even keep an A1C in the mid 6% range. But it's damn hard work with a young or pubescent child. My daughter doesn't always have a nice, steady basal at night. There's nothing to "get comfortable" about if we have to go a few days without a CGM unless getting up 2-4 times a night is something I'm supposed to be comfortable with.

A CGM gives us the opportunity for much better control, which in return hopefully mean less or zero long term complications, a longer, healthier, better life, less stress, more sleep and more importantly an easier and safer day to day life. That I can get comfortable with.

17. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I guess some people totally missed my point. Hopefully the OP did not.

18. dpr

dpr Approved members

I got your point. The OP's son is a pretty new diagnoses, a toddler probably barely old enough to communicate he needs to poop let alone communicate he feels low. A pretty difficult place to be with a CGM down.

19. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

We were CGM-less for 48 hours or so a couple weeks ago. It sucked. Yes we managed just fine prior to the CGM but it still sucked. We've been conditioned to a life with the CGM and stepping back in time was difficult, at least for us. I understand the "get used to it just in case" argument but more subscribe to the "sensor loaner program". We don't manage via urine testing in case the meter breaks or is lost. If we find ourselves without a sensor I reach out to the D community for a temporary replacement. And I quickly offer one up when a local D family is in a bind. I appreciate the sense of community I feel when equipment sharing. Not for everyone I suppose but I appreciate it.

20. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

I totally agree.