advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Update

Discussion in 'Teens OT' started by MissEmi, Jul 13, 2012.

1. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I haven't been around in awhile, and even though as of a few days ago I am no longer a teen, I still felt most comfortable posting here.

I have graduated with my Associate of Arts in Teaching (K-6) from Lee College, and am now pursuing my Bachelor's in Interdisciplinary Studies with Western Governors University--Texas.
    WGU is an online, self-paced school, which is really working wonderfully for me, and it reminds me a lot of my homeschooling days! I have been enrolled since June 1st and have completed 3 classes, and am working on my fourth.

I ended up going with WGU versus UH because I was able to get a job at the local school district. I worked at the newer elementary school last semester, but was able to transfer to the school where I used to sub all the time for this coming school year. I'm really excited about it, for two reasons: 1) I'm very familiar with this campus and I have a lot of mentors and friends, 2) the school nurse is very familiar with pumping, and Type 1 in general, and I know that if I run into any trouble, I have someone to talk to. She also makes sure I stay on top of things, and keeps juice boxes in her office :).
    I'm really excited for this coming school year. I'm a certified educational aide, and I will be working with students with learning disabilities, along with the typical slew of duties (bus, cafeteria, and bus again in the afternoon).

My nephew is now a year old, and still cute as a button :).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How is everyone else doing?

2. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

How is you SIL's D btw ? was it just gestational ?

3. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

They said it was LADA, but after being on insulin for a few months, she started having blackout episodes and the endo took her off of insulin. They did a test (c-peptide?) and it showed that she now has more insulin production now than she originally did, a LOT more, like unbelievably. The endo stated that he'd never seen an increase like that before. It could be that God worked a miracle. I like to believe that in hopes that one day it could happen to me. Because I still believe in miracles.

EDIT: I will say this, she does have antibodies for Type 1. They found that after they initially said LADA. Even though I believe it could be a miracle, I'm still prepared in case it is just an extremely amazing honeymoon. It would just be so awesome if it never did *sigh*.

EDIT AGAIN: I want to say that this situation has been a great source of frustration for me. It's not something I really talk about, because it's hard for other people to understand. After thinking about it, I figure y'all will understand my feelings more than anyone else probably could. So I've decided to tell the "long story."

When she was diagnosed, I knew it was coming. I had seen it coming for quite some time; high numbers here and there, the fact that glucophage did NOTHING for her when she was pregnant, and after Carter was born, she lost her pregnancy weight, which was only 12 pounds, in a matter of about 2 weeks. I wasn't completely blindsided, so there wasn't really a "grieving" process. She even seemed okay with it, since she kind of knew what it entailed, having been around me for 2 years. She was pumping 2-3 weeks after dx, cracking jokes about how hers was more awesome than mine because it was purple, and I had just switched to pink.

Truth be told, I thought it would kind of be nice to have someone to empathize with and know what I was going through. We're around each other so much that at first it was kind of neat to have someone around to check BG with, and remind each other to bolus, things like that. That feeling began to change when her BG didn't swing around as much as mine does. She required very minute amounts of insulin, and still made some insulin, so when she would miscount or something, her BG would only spike around 220, where mine would go over 250 to 300. She didn't really feel too bad with her highs, other than the occasional headache. Her low symptom was shakiness. That's when things began to change. When I would have "highs" I'd have full-blown cotton mouth, hyperactivity, the whole nine yards, and my lows would sometimes disable me for a little while, and I can get argumentative (as I'm told). She began to come to a place where she thought diabetes wasn't that hard to "control" and that my symptoms were overblown. She never came out and said it, but I could tell from her reactions when I would be symptomatic or have a high/low number. The drifting apart started then.

Then, the blackouts came. One happened when she was driving. The other happened at home. She was in the 70s when she came out of it and was able to check. Her endo told her to disconnect her pump and come see him the next day. When she went to the appt, they did some bloodwork, and decided to put her on a Dexcom for a week. She did so, and she had lows without insulin, but would also spike up to 200 post-meal. They decided the lows weren't worth the risk of keeping her on insulin, so they took her off of it. When the test results came back that her pancreas was functioning pretty much normally, she decided that God must have healed her.

This is the part that's really hard to explain. It's not that I don't believe that God could have healed her. I just know too much about diabetes. See, we had this evangelist come through, and everyone's faith was at a real high, and financial miracles, and pains being gone were happening all over the place. It seemed like perfect timing, when all of these other things were happening. But she never wanted to talk about it. She didn't want to hear about honeymoons, or anything like that. I wish they'd re-run an antibody test. If I knew she didn't have them anymore, I'd know for sure. I believe in faith. I believe in healing. But I also know how diabetes can be. And sometimes I worry that that might get in the way of my own faith, which is something I have grappled long and hard with. And I worry that if diabetes ever shows its ugly face again in her life, that she'll be devastated. It's hard not to worry when I hear her make comments like "Oh, I'm just SO thirsty!" or when she can shed pounds pretty much effortlessly.

Since then, we haven't been as close as we used to be. She doesn't want to hear anything related to diabetes. It's like because she doesn't have it anymore, she doesn't think she should have to hear about it anymore. But it's very much still a part of my life, part of who I am. I don't go on and on about it, but yes, sometimes I'm low, and sometimes I'm high, and there are things that come with that. It's sad because she's family. We still hang out, and do things together, (and I get to spoil my nephew!) but it's just not the same. There's this unspoken barrier there. I miss the friendship we had before all of this. Diabetes just complicates everything.

I hope y'all understood what I was trying to say. It's just so hard to explain.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  4. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I can see why that would be hard to put into a written explanation. They say that time heals all wounds though and it sounds like you are very busy with school and work. So by the time life slows down for you a lot of the hard feelings may have cleared up.

Does that disability program still pay your school fees like it did when you started CC?

When you finish your degree will you be qualified to teach elementary school? How does becoming an elementary teacher work it Texas anyways?

5. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

You're right, I am pretty busy, and it really helps. I have learned that the passing of time does help in a lot of situations.

DARS paid for my school through my second year, but because of the economy, they had to drop the number of cases that they handled, and I was one of the ones that got cut. I didn't get any aid for my 3rd year at Lee from DARS or federal aid, but I did receive a scholarship and a Texas Education grant and those did help some. That's one of the reasons I chose to go with WGU, because it comes out a LOT cheaper than other universities. It's about $3000 per six-month term, and it's a flat rate, so whether you complete the regular 12 units, or 40 units, it's the same price.

When I finish my degree I will have finished my student teaching and will then go take the certification tests, then I'll be able to teach K-5, and possible 6th, depending on if a district has that as part of its junior high. If I decide to teach junior high/middle school, then I will have to take an extra 18 units in a subject area in order to get certified in that subject.

All in all, I hope to be doing student teaching at the beginning of the 13-14 school year.