- advertisement -

UPDATE on Teddi...Desert-Eagle66

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Heather(CA), Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I received this email from her hubby this morning...Here's the email and my response.

My response..
    Thanks for the update, and I'm so happy you seem to have doctors who finally know what their doing, and are asking an Endo who does when their not sure...I can't not believe what an idiot that first doc was. I will post this in the forums, everyone is praying that Teddi gets well soon...I'm so glad she has a great husband like you to help take care of her.

Teddi Frankson wrote: Hello Heather,
    This is Mark.
    Teddi was admitted 4 hours after I took her to the emergency room.
    It is not the flu, it is a virus and she was given a IV with an insulin drip.
    They had to call the doctor we fired to get advise because she has not gotten a referral to see another doctor. This call did not go well, I was standing out in the hall listening to one side of the conversation. They hung up and called another doctor to get advise on what to do.

There is no doubt anymore that she has diabetes, the same type Kelton has, her glucose was over 500 on her own meter and 520 from the blood test they sent to the lab. They caught her in time before she went into dka, but she did have ketones in the blood.
    Some of the ketones are the starvation kind and the nurses as well as the doctor on call were angry that she was advised to be on a very low carbohydrate diet, they told me that this kind of diet is fine for other types of diabetes but not for someone with the onset of type 1.
    They had to force her to eat to get rid of these ketones, and I will be going back to the hospital this morning to see if they will be letting her go home.
    The other doctor they called wants her to take lantus as well as humalog during this illness, she will continue the lantus after she comes home.

I will tell Teddi to contact you when she gets home.

Mark

HEATHER COFFEY wrote:
    Are you home yet? You ok? Everyone is worried about you...Keep me posted ok? If

2. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

Thanks for updating us all Heather.

Please let them know they are in our thoughts.

3. Heather(CA)

I did:cwds:

4. JenFur

JenFur Approved members

Thanks for the update. I hope she gets to feeling better soon. That other Dr. is unbelievable! Thanks to her dh for letting us know how it is going.:cwds:

Get better soon!;)

5. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I was afraid of that -- it sound like that was the virus that took care of any of her remaining islet cells :(

We're all praying for you!

6. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Heather~
    Do you know which hospital? Kaiser, Valley, or the one downtown? The reason why I ask... When my Mom was hospitalized for her aneurysm people sent emails through the hospital web-site and was delivered to her room, and she LOVED them.
    If you're able to find out, let us know!

7. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

I am glad she is finally getting help ( not just for this virus but for her D too) with drs that know what they are doing.

Thanks for updating us

8. Lee

Lee Approved members

Poor Teddi - hope she is feeling better soon!

9. Heather(CA)

She was at their other home, so none of the above...I had asked too in case I could go visit her:cwds:

She is home now, better but exausted, she's going back to bed and will check in with us all later.:cwds:

10. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Thanks Heather! :cwds:

Teddi~
    Glad to hear you're home, I hope you feel better soon, we're all thinking of you! :eek:

11. coni

coni Approved members

Holy cow:eek: Thank goodness she finally got someone to care for her that knew what to do!! Thanks for keeping us posted.

Teddi -
    Take care of yourself. Let's hope it's all better from here on out.
    Best wishes.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  12. caspi

caspi Approved members

Heather, thanks for keeping us posted on Teddi.

Teddi, I hope you're getting some much needed rest! Sending good vibes and {{{HUGS}}} your way!!!!! :cwds:

13. CC'sMom

CC'sMom Approved members

sending good thoughts and prayers! Hope you feel better very soon!

14. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I'm hoping she told the ER doctors about the endo that told Kelton to go on a ZERO carb diet. I really want that doctor investigated!! I know that her insurance has had several complaints, but he needs a medical board investigating him.

Feel better soon, Teddi!

15. LJS118

LJS118 Approved members

Teddi,
    That's so terrible...hope you're feeling better soon. Sorry to hear about the confirmation of the diagnosis as well. Keep us posted when you feel up to it, but until then know we're all thinking about you

16. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Hope you're better soon. I'm sorry about another diagnosis in your family.
    My thoughts are with you.

17. caspi

caspi Approved members

Teddi! It's so great to hear from you! I'm so happy that you're back home and hopefully on the mend!

As to that "other" poster - I think it would be best if we simply ignored them and not give them the satisfaction of a reply. JMHO......

18. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

Would this be in reference to me having to give Kelton 15 units of Novolog when he had ketones?

I was told that if "they" were to give their D child 5 units of Novolog that "their" child would drop like a rock..Not Kelton, when he has ketones he becomes resistant to insulin, he went from being HI to 450 in two hours..That did not drop him like a rock..

I was called a liar because of this...I do not go back to places or to people like this..Life is too short

19. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

I wish I read this before I posted my last reply..Oh, well...

20. PattyK

PattyK Approved members

no it was not about the 15 units:eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.