- advertisement -

Update on Brandon...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by twicker1, Jun 27, 2011.

1. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

So, Thursday night I decided to take him to the ER. Apparently, it was a good idea that I didn't wait any longer. We got his initial labs, and they were on the edge of either putting him on the floor or in PICU. He was in mild to moderate DKA. They decided that they could probably get a handle on it on the floor.

We got to a room around 8am Friday, disconnected his pump, and started Lantus/Humalog. Finally got the go ahead for food at dinner (I swear if they had said no, they would have had to sedate Brandon!). Then, with all the protocol/charting/red tape, etc, it took us an hour and a half to get orders for insulin for his nighttime snack! By then the insulin dosage they drew up was bad since his BG had dropped.

I had it out with a doctor because she was treating me like a criminal on trial saying she was "trying to get the story straight". WTH??? She also suggested I change his sensitivity setting on his pump from 100 to 40! Um, no!!!!! I told her that when she lived with him and was there to pick him up off of the floor, then maybe! Eventually I did agree to changing it to 60, with close monitoring, but only when ANOTHER doctor suggested it.

IV was disconnected late Friday night after labs came back in range, and we reconnected his pump Saturday morning. I wasn't really sure they would let us out without monitoring his pump and BG all day, but we were released at 3pm.

Basically, this was the first time we've had to deal with DKA. He wasn't even this bad when he was first dx'd. Turns out, when I pulled the Quickset in the ER, the canula was in the shape of a "Z". So, he was getting either little, or no, insulin since I put it in on Wednesday night. Thursday morning was when he woke up vomiting.

Moral of the story... Even if you THINK the site is working, or if your child doesn't want to do a site change because you did it the night before, DO IT ANYWAY!!!!!!!

2. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

thank you for the update. Glad you are back home and hope he continues to do well. DKA is very scary. My DD was in moderate DKA at diagnoses so I have a healthy fear of ketones. Hope things go will for you guys. Sorry the Doc was hard to deal with!!

3. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I'm glad you went and that he's fine now (((((HUGS)))))

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

So true, I had to do this last week, my gut just kept telling me, this is weird, just do it.

So glad he is ok.

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Or give an injection to prove the site isn't working.

6. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

I did give an injection, at double what the pump wanted to give, and it didn't touch his BG. That's why I thought we were dealing with a virus or something, and not the site. But his ketones were so high, that's why I didn't see the BG budge any... Hindsite is 20/20.

7. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

Hey neighbor,
    I'm glad everything got resolved quickly with Brandon and you guys got to go home. It was great visiting with you while you were there though. And Connor loved having a buddy to visit with when he was feeling up to it.

8. bblakeney

bblakeney Approved members

DKA can be scary! Glad to hear everything seems to be improving.

9. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Thanks for sharing your experience and glad everything is ok now.

10. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Tuesday, Im so sorry you all had to go through this ordeal:( And having to have issues with the doctor really isnt fun when your kid is that sick. Sometimes I swear that these doctors need to be put with a CWD just for a night to get some kind of idea what our lives are like. Im glad he is starting on the road to recovery

11. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Thanks for the update. So glad things were resolved quickly.

Sharing these stories really helps us all keep diabetes management fresh in our minds. This is the second similar story in just a couple of weeks. I am thankful for the reminder of - "When in doubt, pull it out! Correct by injection and check frequently."

Sometimes we are lulled into a routine and do not respond to the little signs because we think we have it all together and "know" what is happening.

I have been guilty of giving a second pump correction and testing to see if more time resolved the matter. My thinking is - maybe it was an underbolus or maybe the food is digesting slower than expected...

I never ever want to DKA again! I will change my thoughts and begin doing that second correction by injection. If it was a bolus issue, the injection will fix it. Enough injection correction situations may result in better carb counting, pre-bolusing and not missing a bolus. DD can avoid the injections with better personal D management and less "forgetting".

Fortunately, we only have a few of these times. I don't seek to be punitive - but rather pro-active on possible site issues. Stay away DKA!