- advertisement -

upcoming trip to dc - ideas?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by TimO, Jun 20, 2010.

1. TimO

TimO Approved members

I'm finally taking the fam to Washington DC next week. We're flying (first time for the boys), and I was wondering if anyone could offer hints re: supplies on the airplane, if he qualifies as AWD (Americans with Disabilities) "perks", etc. We're not renting a car, just relying on the Metro (which makes me nervous if we'd need to find a dr/hosp fast). Staying in Crystal City. Main concerns include first time flying with Carter, our T1D. Any ideas/hints would be appreciated.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I've flown many times with Maddie since D - basically I just pack twice as much stuff as I will need. Put one pack in carry on and a second ( sans insulin) in the checked luggage. When Maddie was little and if we were flying for hours and hours, I'd tell the head flight attendant that I was flying with an "insulin dependent" child and they would usually be a bit more responsive if we needed something ( this really depends on the individual flight attendant). Generally speaking I find it's not a big deal - even though her bgs tend to run a bit high on long ( over 4 hr) flights. :cwds:

3. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

We just flew for the first time with our daughter and spent a week in the Tetons/Yellowstone parks. I just took about as twice as many supplies as we needed. However, I took them all on the carryon with me. TSA didn't even blink an eye at security, even though we told them we had diabetic supplies. It was a breeze. We didn't and wouldn't even consider asking for any ADA preference with her regarding boarding. The challenge was keeping the insulin cool, but we used a frio pack and asked for refrigerators at our lodgings.

You are going to a major metropolitan area, don't worry about getting help if you need it. Chances are it won't even be an issue. Just remember to test often and have a great time. We were just in the DC area last October. There is a lot to see!

4. KHM

KHM Approved members

I would just offer that on the National Mall, you'll be hard pressed to find food other than hotdog vendors with chips, soft drinks, water... a few of the museums have cafes with limited menus but in general, you should either plan your day to include a departure away from the Mall (there are lots of restaurants on the corridors off of Pennsylvania Ave) or pack some food for the day. Its a drag, really, but completely understandable why that space isn't really open to commerce.

Oh---there are several really nice options for lunching at Union Station which is quite near the Capitol, far end of the Mall.

Enjoy---do have water on hand. It is hot and humid for sure.

5. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

There is so much to do in DC that you will never be bored. As far as hospitals go, if an emergency crops up you're not terribly far from Children's Hospital -- Red Line to Brookland Station, then a less than 5 minute taxi ride. I'm sure there are also lots of NOVA hospitals and some of the VA locals will chime in.

Do bring lots of water, it is very hot on the mall. Don't forget sunscreen cause the sun is brutal.

I intend to head to DC in late August with the kids. Should be lots of fun!

6. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

Are you going to be there for July 4 fireworks on the mall? I'm going this year-no kids!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went a couple of years ago-and just took taxi back to our hotel.

it was crowded but fun.

7. toohughey

toohughey Approved members

There are no bathrooms on the Metro, This has bee a problem for us many times. Many museums will give you problems for carrying a bag into the building, but you can talk them into it!!

8. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

The previous post reminded me of something... Metro does not permit the consumption of food/drinks on their buses, trains or in any of their stations, and passengers can be fined for violating that -- surveillance cameras are monitored constantly and often you'll hear a disembodied voice telling you to get rid of the offending substance. :eek:

I have looked to see if there's anything online about exceptions (like for treating a low) but can't find anything. I'd say test before you go down into the tubes and keep glucose tabs handy for an emergency. :cwds:

9. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

I would NEVER pack diabetes supplies in anything but carry-on. If the bag is lost or sent to another destination, you are potentially in big trouble. Plus, the cargo hold is too cold for your strips and insulin. Or, too hot, if you're stuck on a tarmac.

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

I always pack pump supplies in both, carry on and checked. It's never been a problem, though obviously, I don't put insulin in the hold.:rolleyes:

11. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

Well, I guess you are lucky Sarah. I've had luggage NOT arrive at my destination about four times. It arrived the next day in all cases. I'd rather be safe than sorry, but that's just me.

Almost worse than lost luggage was the time Jeff's luggage made it safely to JFK where it sat in the pouring rain on the tarmac for several hours. When he got his luggage, which I think was a day late, and in a foreign country, most of the items in it were quite damp, including a wool suit, which apparently smelled quite nasty.

12. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Well, I've had carry on bags stolen and I suppose since I did a lot of flying on my own with Maddie as a small child that I felt safer having just one bag in my possession that I needed to keep my hand on at all times. ;)

13. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

George Washington University Hospital is maybe six blocks from the White House and on the conjoined blue and orange lines of the Metro. If you carry plenty of water and some glucose, you'll be fine. There are LOADS of restaurants at all price points nearby.

14. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

The Museum of Natural History has a very nice cafeteria. Also, the Air and Space Museum has a large McDonald's.

Also, while they will be checked, we didn't have a problem taking backpacks into the museums.

15. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

When we flew I packed twice as much as we needed.. (actually, it was probably more like three times as much).. I had a set in my carry on.. Kaylee had a set on her in her little carry on (her meter, a site change, reseveroir.. things we'd need immediately in the next day or so in case anything happened) and a set in the checked baggage.. we had way more than we needed but I wanted to be able to have stuff incase something went missing.. all insulin, creams, lotions etc, stayed with me.. Which ment they had to be looked at by securtiy.. the lady told me she wanted to throw out her EMLA cream because it was open and larger than was allowed for the creams, but she couldn't because it was in the original box with her prescription on it.. so definitely carry that type of stuff in the original box.. that is the ONLY thing they said anything about.. juice, needles, lancets, snacks, water, everything else was fine.