- advertisement -

Untold Stories of the ER Grrr

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Heather(CA), Dec 15, 2013.

1. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

So I'm watching untold stories of the ER... There's a teenage girl whose heart keeps stopping, they test her blood sugar because she's unconscious and its a HI he states that means her bg is over 500 but doesn't seem to get that's a dx'd. Really???
    Even after knowing her bg was HI he is asking her boyfriend if he has given her any drugs or alcohol. He seems completely clueless that an HI is a dx'd... Then her blood work comes back and it says her blood sugar is 1200 :0
    He starts saying that with the limited test results it's hard to tell what's going on for sure bla bla bla and doesn't understand why her heart has stopped twice. :0 I'm yelling at the TV, she has Type 1 you MORON UGH!
    The doc still isn't sure what the problem is this is freaking SCARY. He was acting like he new it might be diabetes but wasn't sure and he kept asking the boyfriend if he gave her drugs or alcohol unbelievable. Finally the tests results came back that she was in DKA and he gets it...
    Grrr so scary!!!!

2. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

They draw out all of the cases purposefully on that show to make it take longer and add to the drama. There have been loads of very obvious diagnosis that they hem and huh to take the whole 42 minutes to "solve" that the nurse should have been able to figure out in triage.

3. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I can understand a regular person needing "more test results" but an ER doc? Aren't they the ones who catch the lions share of diagnoses? I wonder if he held off on an actual dx for the "drama" factor. (We should all know by now that reality tv isn't actually that real.). A diagnosis in the first 2 min might not exactly be what producers are looking for. :rolleyes: