advertisement

Untethering advice

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by GChick, Jul 28, 2015.

1. GChick

GChick Approved members

Have my first "real" vacation in a while coming up where I will be spending A LOT of time in the ocean. First time really swimming at all since starting on the pump.

Didn't think I would but am considering untethering in some form.

Way I see it is I have three main options:

1.) Give all basal by Lantus.
    Honestly not even considering this one as the freedom of not HAVING to eat so much when active is one of the major plusses of pumping.

2.) Give about half basal by Lantus, and temp basal the difference when attached.
    But I'm still thinking this may be too much.

3.) Give about 1/4 of the basal dose... rounded down to about 3 units (total basal right now is about 13.122units) of Lantus, and temp basal the difference?
    I am leaning to option 3 but wonder if it seems worth it. The way I see it is if I am detached for a couple hours, I may not need to worry at all about replacing basal (as I often don't need to be attached for vigorous exercise anyway) as there will still be a little somethin' goin' on in the background, but not so much that I'd need to keep eating or whatever.

or there is of course the option of not doing any Lantus and replace basal when I need to be detached for long periods, but I'm liking the idea of that tiny bit of basal there.

I'm mostly just verbalizing my thoughts. I'm pretty sure I'm going with #3 or no Lantus at all. But if others have ideas that worked particularly well for them or have reasons why my idea make no sense, go for it.

<shrug> any adults here ever gone untethered for any length of time?