- advertisement -

Untethered Help

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Bsbllmom, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

It has been soooo long since I have been here, I hope everyone is well. :cwds:

We are going to the beach today and my son wants to go untethered:eek: Which is fine but I don't know how much lantus I should give him. His daily basal is 56.1 so would I divide that by 24? Or should I divide that by 1/2 also since it is only going to be until this evening. When he reconnects should we just do half basal until tomorrow morning?

Of course we decide this on a Saturday when I don't want to bother his nurse.

Thanks for your help.

2. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

I would just give short-acting every 4 hours to replace the basal for such a short time.

3. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Alex is untethered all the time and her Lantus is nearly 50% of her TDD. I'd suggest that you not go as high as the 56 units for Lantus as you'd normally do for basal only because of the swimming activity involved. Maybe 40? And watch out for the Lantus peak which for us happens between 3 and 4 hours afterward the shot. If the Lantus turns out to not be enough you can always correct. Good luck!

4. Bsbllmom

I was thinking that also. :) I haven't done it in so long and I was trying to remember how we did it a couple of years ago but I can't remember what I did yesterday! LOL

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

This is probably not what you want to hear, but I think it's bound to lead to an unholy mess to go untethered for only 12 hours. Lantus takes 2-3 days to build up to full strength, and another 2-3 days to completely leave the system. And then you throw in the activity of swimming, and the fact that most kids don't use an equivalent amount of basal on MDI as on the pump...if we were trying this, I honestly don't know where I'd start, either on the dose, or on what I would do overnight. I don't know if your son usually wears his Ping while swimming, but if so, I'd probably just let him disconnect and reconnect for boluses and to replace basal every 2 hours or so.

I know this doesn't help for today, but have you thought about getting a Pod system that your son could use for beach days? The new ones are a lot smaller.

6. Bsbllmom

Yeah you are right.....not worth the hassle. He will just have to test often. And he will have to give himself small doses throughout the day. I think that is what is best.

He doesn't wear his ping to swim.....he usually takes it off then reconnects when he comes back.

7. hawkeyegirl

Long beach days are really our only drawback to pumping. :( I hope you guys have a good time!

8. Bsbllmom

Yeah but I'm sure it will all work out. Thank you guys so much!!

9. Bsbllmom

Thank you all for your input. He just had to bolus when he ate and didn't go over 150. We had a great day!! :D

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Check frequently overnight. You may find he will go high. This has been our experience.
    Glad it was a good day

11. hawkeyegirl

We need a like button for this! :D