- advertisement -

Untethered but with overnight basal, anyone try this?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by nanhsot, Jun 28, 2013.

1. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

We have a beach vacation coming up and I know he'd rather leave his pump in the house while swimming/sand/whatever. However he has such a strong dawn phenom I hate to switch totally to lantus.

Anyone do a combo type thing, I was thinking of some lantus, keeping a site in for food/bolus, but then hooking up again at night for a little basal support. Is this a crazy idea? If anyone has done this or has any input, how on earth do you start to figure out how much to lower the basal at night to cover those early morning spikes he has. How much lantus to give to cover days? I realize he'll need corrections during the day, but figure the beach activity will help with that too.

Any help appreciated.

2. Lee

Lee Approved members

We tried - but it really caused a mess for us. Now, I will do a temp basal at night when needed, but I do try to cover 100% with Lantus.

3. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

I don't think it's a bad idea to add pump basal to Lantus, I just think that by the time you get it dialed in, the vacation will be over.

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Yeah, that's the real risk there I think, maybe we could start it a few weeks ahead of time but that doesn't factor in activity at the beach...but he's a teen and not so much playing and more muscle flexing! They do a lot of frisbee and such but generally just walk around a lot.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I apologize if I've suggested this before, but has he thought about the Pod for beach weeks?

6. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Not really, no, we've been focused on insurance approval for the tslim so hadn't really gone there. Does their website fully explain their "cut the cord" program so it's easy to figure out?

I'll mention it to him, thanks.

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

so what I would do is to take the lowest basal pattern amount per hour and times that by 24 to get the Lantus dose. Then take that amount per hour and subtract it from all patterns, now wyou will know the time areas that you you will need to mindfull of by either increasing insulin given round that time by changinf I;C or ISF or both. Now you wipe out all the basal patterns to zer0 except for the time period that you need to reve up basals for DP.

The biggest issue we had for starting up Lantus was that it does take a few days to get Lantus up and running and had numbers stuck in the 200 for a few days. I would do two things to try to combat this, either keep the pump on and run a small basal or have the starting does of Lantus bigger like a "loading dose", we did this once when we had gone off of Lantus and went back to fulltime pumping. We did for the first dose 120% on day one, 110% day two and 100% day three. (it had been suggested starting at 130% but choose lower)

we love how with Lantus going in the background there is near no chance of ketones from a bad site. We are giving the Omnipod a good try right now and have keep tha Lantus going just like when we were untethered with the PING. and it is going great, yesterday she did not tell me that the pod alerted that it would be expiring so it expired and I was not ready with a new on, it was not an issue atall because we have the Lantus going. Have you thought about the POD?

8. shannong

shannong Approved members

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

with cut the cord you give Insulet (Omnipod company) your insurance info so that they can verify that you have insurance and get an RX from you Dr for the pod. You pay them $200 OOP for a PDM and then you order PODS from your supplier or Omnipod if they are in network. They do not run anything tru insurance for the $200 PDM they just need insurance verification and an RX. For us we can order both pump sites and POD on the same order. The PDM will be under warenty for I think a minimun or 2years, you current pump I beleives has to be under warrenty. We get 2 boxes of PODS for $15 thru RX not DME , so for us this is the most economical pumping choice!

10. bittersweet22

bittersweet22 New Member

Lantus lasts for 24 hrs so it can become messy during the night. If you do hook back up for basal at night I would suggest decreasing what the normal basal is by at least 50%. I understand about leaving the pump and not worrying about it for vacation. My suggestion would be to stick with the lantus and not mess with a basal.

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We paid $199 out of pocket for the PDM. I believe the only requirement is that you currently have an in-warranty pump. Your warranty on the PDM is the warranty remaining on your current pump, or two years, whichever is greater. Then insurance will cover pods just like they cover infusion sets.

12. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Lantus is a very poor fit for my teenager, he has a very strong dawn phenomenon and his basal needs overnight are double what they are during the day. The slow steady release of it doesn't work for him overnight, he needs more than what it gives, even when the dosage is correct, raise the dose and he's low all day.

On Lantus alone he needs strong early morning corrections, which we can do, but not ideal for vacation.

13. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Her son's basal needs for pre-wake-up are much greater than what basal she would be giving him to cover daytime.

14. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

We have done a variant of this, but with a shot of Levemir in the AM, instead of Lantus. We started with 1/2 of her basal as the Levemir shot - lets say her total basal was 20u we did 10u of Levemir. We had to play with things a bit, but all in all it worked out fine. We did it for the summer though - don't know if I would just do it for a week, but whatever works for you!! Have fun :)

15. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We have done I successfully the last 3 summers. We do a shot if Levimere in the am and then plug back in with 30% of original basal from 10p-8am. It takes a while to work out the Levimere, probably a week, so if you go this route I'd work on it for a week or two prior to vacation.

16. Lee

Lee Approved members

Ahhh...Coco's needs are lowest at night, so she has insane carb ratios during the day to make up for it!