- advertisement -

Unscientific poll

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jenm999, Dec 18, 2014.

1. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

This might be a silly waste of time but I have so many questions that mostly boil down to "What works for you?" So I created a quickie google form. I'm interested in your carb ratios, basal rates at different periods during the day, and how this might all relate to weight and time since diagnosis. I'm going to put it all in a spreadsheet, do some math and look for patterns. Anonymous is fine, but I'm also happy to share results if you include your email at the end of the poll. I know there are other regimens besides traditional basal/bolus and pumping (e.g. NPH, untethered, etc.) but I'm mostly focusing on the two basic types of therapy that I'm familiar with.

If you have 2 minutes, here's the poll: http://goo.gl/forms/b9Bgxyigi0

2. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Long ago someone posted a really fascinating study that showed that basal patterns are really strongly correlated to age. It showed graphs of basal demands for kids of different ages. High and low demand changed drastically at different times of day for different age groups. I have never been able to find the post again. There is so much great info archived on this site. I wish the search function worked better.

Good luck with your data gathering.

3. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Thanks. I would LOVE to see such a study! Yes, it can be really hard to find stuff on the forum.

Thanks to those who have already filled out the survey.

4. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Was this the chart you were thinking of? http://api.ning.com/files/BA9F4ogPH...Wg7*qaQ67JQNtPbBJbWx4QLwIdyU95eu*I8/Basal.JPG

5. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

I filled it out and had to convert years to months and DD saw the survey while I was looking up her basals. She said, "I've had diabetes 102 months?!?" When I replied that she had, she did this little "102 months! Go me!" cheer. :victorious: It was hilarious. Made me think, "Oh, 100 months would have been cool to acknowledge!"

6. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

144 months for us.... seems such a long time said like that.. seems like forever sometimes

7. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

10 responses already, and I see patterns! TDD per kg for 4 of us is .8! Keep 'em coming.

*Edited to add that all four of those were diagnosed less than 2 years ago.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  8. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

9. dpr

dpr Approved members

I sent you ours, that should throw you for a loop :-

10. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

Curious to see the results of this. Thanks for doing it.

11. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Here is data for pumpers. I added a few columns (highlighted): TDD / Weight (kg) (.5 or less is considered honeymoon); basal as percentage of TDD; expected carb ratio per 500 rule (I thought it would be interesting to see how close people's actual numbers are to the starting formula); and expected correction factor per 1800 rule (ditto). I forgot to add correction factors to the initial survey so only have that for some of the participants.

You can sort by age, months since diagnosis, TDD, whatever (click the little arrow next to the column label) ---

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vz701eSsv_PLhgjb0PQ_eaxXhGaoSst8dFKO0Mj9kPY/edit?usp=sharing

Will work on MDI next. Enjoy!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  12. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

13. dpr

dpr Approved members

Very interesting to see that information. It really does go to show that your child needs whatever they need. Thank you for taking the time to give us the insight.