- advertisement -

unplanned activity at school often RANT

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by 3js, May 5, 2008.

1. 3js

3js Approved members

Our school does running/walking during the school year, in addition to PE. The class goes out to run/walk laps during class time, but it`s quite impromptu. As well, if the kids are finished work earlier than the rest of class, they can go out to do laps.

It wouldn`t be such an issue if I knew WHEN ahead of time. Then I would use a different carb ratio starting at breakfast, and when I did the insulin at recess/lunch, I could COMFORTABLY correct him down to 6 or 8 (there is no nurse or anyone to help with d care or give glucagon at school).

So, he ends up with a higher carb ratio to be safe, being correctedy very conservatively, AND eating an extra snack uncovered everytime he goes to do laps. Today, with gym + 2 separate outings for laps, he had 3 uncovered snacks. And a bg range of 360 to 54. This was with shots at recess and lunch. This is happening every day between 9-3. At home things are pretty "normal":rolleyes:

The prevailing theory at school- safety first. If it`s an issue, he should sit out. "why should the whole class miss out"

I feel that that is discriminatory. And I`m NOT going to let him run high all day just to make life easy for them.

I don`t see why they can`t say- ok, we will do laps at x time everyday. Then I could PLAN.

I don`t want him missing out. He is having a hard time emotionally/psychologically with his diabetes as it is. And these crazy bg ranges over the course of 6 hours every day is turning him into jekyll/hyde.:eek:

Am I being unreasonable? What does everyone else do for this unplanned stuff at school?

My son will be pumping at school in Sept., and although we have the paradigm realtime, the cgms sensors are not covered here, so that will be used only a few times a year.

I am at my wit`s end. It is one year since dx, and things seem harder not better:(

2. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

If you have a 504 plan, amend it so that they have to provide info for PE.

I had to pull teeth with the middle school PE teacher just to get a plan for each quarter, and even then it was often not what they had told me it would be.

We just had the issue of possible lows since we don't do injections at school. I would suggest he carry a snack in case of unexpected activity and he can let you know if he had that so you could treat at lunch.

But it's not asking too much to expect some basic information.

~~Becky~~

3. 3js

3js Approved members

Sorry, I forget to mention- we are in Canada. There are no school laws regarding diabetes.

We have tons of food at school. It`s just that it is hard to "measure" activity other than a 40min period. So he ends up over/under "carbing up" for the activity.

Maybe I am being to much of a micromanager. I bolus/correct at recess and lunch (I walk up). ??:confused:

4. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I can TOTALLY see why you would be frustraited...Does he eat the uncovered snack before or after he does laps? If your not already, could you keep a bunch of snacks in his class for him?

5. ADHDiabetic Mom

ADHDiabetic Mom Approved members

This is the sort of reason that 504 exists in the first place. He needs to be designated 504 if he's not already, and this situation NEEDS to be addressed in the accommodations! :mad:

(Oops, now I read that you're in Canada. Well, laws or no laws, they need to do what is RIGHT.)

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  6. kodasmom

kodasmom Approved members

No one in the school knows how to give glucagon??:eek:
    When my son was 1st dx'd, I had to go into the school & give directions to office personel, PE teacher, coaches, etc. This really surprised me, because my ds was the 4th student in the school to be dx'd.

7. 3js

3js Approved members

They are not required by law to administer it.:eek: In the whole country I beleive.:(

8. mom to a sports nut

mom to a sports nut Approved members

We are in the same province and no, they won't do glucagon injections at schools as there are no in school nurses (at least that is their excuse)

9. skimom

skimom Approved members

Talk to the principal and the PE team and educate them on the importance of communication of activity levels etc for your child.I did this and the school is more than accomodating as they don't want to deal with the potential fallout.
    You may need to be proactive with the school (I have the school give me a unit plan and indicate days of possible high activity- it is updated every 2-3 weeks). It sounds like you might want to also hook up with someone who is experienced with active diabetics to get some ideas on how to deal with unplanned activity as it looks like your child is all over the map with BG values. Check that he is eating enough (helps to reduce post exercise highs), watch the amount of post exercise snack given etc - there are lots of strategies and every child is different on what works.

Also, go on the Canadian diabetes association website and download the package for schools and take it to the talk. From my experience as a teacher and a mom of 2 kids with diabetes, you will get far more cooperation if you go in with a plan and have them buy into it - (we even had our diabetic nurse come in and talk/train the Outdoor ed teacher so my son could go on the backcountry trips) This education will benefit the entire school - not just your child.

Good luck!