- advertisement -

Unflavored glucose tabs - son eating flavored tabs "just because"

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bluedevils_fan, Mar 23, 2011.

1. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

We went thru that too, and then his friends started eating them, too! The apple seemed to be a big hit... :eek:

He hasnt done that in a while tho, only when we first came home with them.. orange is his favoriate flavor, then the apple...

2. imobean

imobean New Member

Other options for glucose tabs

The BD tabs are impossible to get nowadays (sadly - they are the ones that don't nauseate me when I'm low). An option for kids who may be "munching for fun" on tabs is a product called Insta glucose (a thick red gel). More $, but easy to give when lows affect ability to chew (can be squirted in space b/w cheek & gums), and very effective. Not nauseating, but not "candy flavored" either.

Type I for 27 years, pumping for 20, Pedi RN :)

3. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

4. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Hmm wondering what i'm missing here LOL! Ashleigh hates glucose tabs and won't take them. We have 3 150 ct bottles collecting dust on our counter. She prefers Juice, skittles, or starbursts for lows (no problems so far with her eating the candy other than when she is low)

5. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

In my DD's back pack we keep the tabs and she has been told they are only for lows...but we also keep the sugar free flavored gum, sugar free Jolly Ranchers, Tic Tacks and stuff like that for when she wants a piece of candy:D

6. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

you can always use plain old sugar cubes for lows. Fill an altoids tin with them. They are pretty cheap, cheaper than tabs I think. Her PE teacher is type 1, and that was what he carried & my daughter thought that was pretty neat. My daughter doesnt' want to eat tabs unless she is low...but she LOVED those white BD tabs. The closest thing I can compare the taste to is the sticks fromt those "licka stick" candies that come with the powder to dip the stick in...

7. dragonfly

dragonfly Approved members

My 6 year has been known to sneak a bottle and eat them. They taste good! Now they are up too high for her to reach.

8. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

We had the same issue with our 15yr old eating Jared's Glucose tabs, we were going through them like crazy. He finally stopped doing it after I made him pay for a bottle of him with his money at the store and he realized how expensive they really are. As far as the eating and not blousing goes Jared does it all the time but now we have the dexcom so the minute his BG starts to climb we know it and we can correct the problem.

9. Ali

Ali Approved members

For some reason I thought the glucose tabs absorbed quicker than table sugar in sugar cubes? If anyone knows I would love to hear. I would love to just carry around sugar cubes.:)ali

10. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

Dex 4 makes an "all natural" version of their orange tabs with no artificial coloring and natural flavor. Pretty close to the old BD tablets IMO.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006WC5PA0/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

11. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

I keep a very close tab on Connor's tabs (sorry, couldn't resist). He only has a small roll in his diabetes bag that he carries. I look through his bag every afternoon and refill the small roll using the larger container of glucose tabs at home. If Connor is missing any tabs, I know he was low. To double-check, I look at his log book from school every day and transfer those numbers to his home log book. I would notice right away if all his tabs were gone and know that day that something is up. There is no way that he would go through a bottle of glucose tabs because he only has access to the small roll. You could do this for your son too until he learns better self control. It just takes a little extra effort on your part, which is a small task in the grand scheme of a lifetime of diabetes.

12. Mish

Mish Approved members

woah...another zombie thread back from the dead. Lots of first time poster doing that lately. ;)

13. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

Gosh darn it. I hate when I don't notice that it's a resurrected thread. Oh well!

14. OTs

OTs New Member

So there is no unflavoured glucose in the U.S.? I bought CVS orange-flavoured glucose tablets but had to return them since I found the taste disgusting and too chemical (I guess it's manufactured by Dex4 for CVS).

(I wonder why I didn't bring more glucose from Ukraine - it's unflavoured and super cheap. But back then we ate sugar cubes for lows, and switched to glucose because it acts way faster.)